Author Topic: Laptop charging problem on bank  (Read 5575 times)

guruji

Laptop charging problem on bank
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
Hi guys I am trying to charge a laptop on a battery bank but it seems that it cannot charge it. In the past I charged it easily.
I even tried to use an inverter but still it flickers and the charger makes a strange sound and gets hot. With the grid this charger works perfectly well. I am thinking that my battery bank lacks certain amperage even after charged with my solar panels and volt meter shows me 13v.
Any one knows a clue please?
Thanks.

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Re: Laptop charging problem on bank
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Some chargers don't like msw from inverters.
most lapltops use about 19 volts.
What is the voltage your laptop needs it should be on the label on the bottom or on the charger?
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
Mac laptops for example apparently don't just need the right voltage presented, they want to talk to the charger to make sure it's legit (Apple made?) before charging.  So don't assume it's just a matter of simple electrics IMHO.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
I've charged my Mac laptops from batteries and an inverter for years. I only use a sine inverter and only use Apple approved chargers. Never had any problems.

If the charger works on the grid and not on an inverter, it must be the inverter. I don't care what any site selling inverters says, there is no excuse for not using a sine inverter for low wattage electronics.

I used to have a 12v car charger for my older G4 laptop. That was made to run from a battery directly. If you plan to charge straight from a battery that's the proper way to do it.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:58:00 AM »
Unfortunately Apple refuses to supply an in-car 12V adaptor (which, sorry, I thought was the subject being discussed, I read too fast!), so you have to buy an expensive hacked-together one from a third party.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

guruji

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
Thanks guys for response. Yes my laptop is 19v. I used to charge it with a 12v battery charger too but it already burned one. I bought another and still not charging and sounding a clicking sound on my laptop. So I stopped it; don't want to burn this too. Even with the inverter to a 240v charger same problem that's why I am suspecting the battery bank. The thing is I used to charge it easily in the past on this bank.  :-\

SteveCH

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »
Yes, some more research is due here, as my wife and I run up to five Mac laptops on our system, which has a Trace 2512 modified sine wave inverter. Zero problem. In the past, we've also run big Mac desktops [no charger, just plugged in for 120 v. use]. Zero problem. In addition, my wife has a work-supplied Windows pc laptop and it does fine, too. I think it is a Dell, but whatever. We've been using the modified sine wave inverter now for over twenty years and never had an issue.

WindriderNM

• WindriderNM
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:00:27 PM »
It could be a software upgrade. or battery voltage below the thershhold needed to charge the barreries.
I have a hp laptop that i lost the charge to i tried a universal  charger it would run the computer but not charge the battery.

guruji

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
It could be a software upgrade. or battery voltage below the thershhold needed to charge the barreries.
I have a hp laptop that i lost the charge to i tried a universal  charger it would run the computer but not charge the battery.

Yes Windrider the thing that I used to charge it with no problem with a 12v charger although this charger used to become a little hot >:(
I really want to know why this is happening now. Did you ever expierence a ticking sound when charging windrider?
Thanks guys

WindriderNM

• WindriderNM
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:16:14 PM »
i don't recall a clicking noise

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:05:27 PM »
http://mikegyver.com/IdeasnProducts/Kensington-Magsafe/index.html  There is a Kensington 12v dc charger that works on the Apple's with the magsafe power adapter.

http://www.moonco.us/TimeSight/DIY_MagSafe.html  If you like to tinker here is a hack with the Apple magsafe/Kensington magsafe.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I have run about every popular brand of laptop I can think of from 400W Vector or 300W Portawattz.  Both are inexpensive MSW.
PC and Mac.  Never had any problem at all.

The clicking noise in the charger sounds like maybe a thermal protection device.  That's what they do when they get hot.
It worked before, but it does not work now?  Sounds like the charger has an issue.  Strange it still works from the grid.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

joestue

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
the clicking sound is probably the laptop power supply turning on and off rapidly.

Thanks guys for response. Yes my laptop is 19v. I used to charge it with a 12v battery charger too but it already burned one.

charged what with the 12 volt charger? the laptop? details, please.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

guruji

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:15:53 PM »
Yes Joestue I used to charge my laptop with a 12v battery bank on a 12v charger with no problem. I bought another charger cause I thought it was the charger but with same problem on the new 12v charger.