Author Topic: Recipes and Food  (Read 1728 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Recipes and Food
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »
SMOKED FISH DIP

Nice picture of Card Sound Bridge

Picture of sunset

Picture of the bridge from our fishing spot

Here's the catch in the cooler, they are Bluefish (this was from a while back)

I was going to fillet the Bluefish and fry them in a pan, but decided to smoke them gutted/scalled/heads off. No pictures of the fish on the smoker, but in the picture below, you can see ALL the ingredients I used for the smoke fish dip. You could say its homebrewed :)

It was some very good stuff  :)

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Fried Chicken, in the Oven...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »
Fried Chicken, in the Oven...

Ok, so here we go.

There are several things to consider here. Most important is energy consumption. Say you have a "Deep Freeze" Im not sure how much energy it actually consumes because im running off of "grid power"

Ok, so the deep freeze, and the oven. These would be listed as enrgy costs.

Now, I got a great deal on these chicken drumsticks, $2.50 for 8 drumsticks, two dollars and fifty cents. I had to wait for them to go on sale, because usually there about $4.50 four dollars and 50 cents. I keep them in the deep freeze until I cook them, so I can wait for sales, and it only costs me the energy to keep them frozen in the Ice box.

Then to cook them I use an oven. Again energy costs.

By the way I do have a "George Forman" lean mean grilling machine, and thats about 1500 watts, much less than the oven consumes. But it works great on porkchops, and has them done in about 15 minuites about 4 chops will fit.

Ok,ok back to the chicken.

I only shake on some seasoning salt on before baking them covered.

I use a metal baking pan lined with tin foil, and cover it with tin foil, I bake this at 530°f in the oven for about 30 to 35 minuites.

Then I take out of the oven and remove the tin foil and bake uncovered for about 20 to 30 minuites at 450°f.

For a side I use some noodles, but You will need a half a cup of 2% milk (I used "half and half" coffie creamer) and a tbs of butter (real).

Ok so here what it should look like after the chicken and noodles are done.

Thats how its done. When you bake the chicken at 530 for 30 minuites covered, it cooks the chicken all the way to the bone. Then when you bake the chicken uncovered at 450 it gets crispy... So it takes about an hour to cook this with thawed chicken.

Follow the instructions for the noodles, and Vola'...

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Recipes and Food
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
"Okay check this out"

I wanted to share my "infamous" Chicken Teriyaki on the grill.  ;D

As luck would have it, my wife misplaced the usb cable, for the camera, to download picture's thru USB.

We have 2 digital cameras, mine is at work with its cable, and the other is used by my wife Amy  :) 

"Honey do you know where the cable for the/your camera is ?"

I will have to attempt to do the teriyaki recipe at a later time.

I tread on this matter absolutly lightly with my wife, and smile, "no problem".

Believe it or not, it does help.  ;D

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
Here's a picture of the Teriyaki Chicken-

This next picure may be off topic abit, but its a good illustration of a high temperature solid-fuel burner heat exchanger.

;D

JW

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
Ok, now I'm hungry, it must be nice to live in a place where water is liquid sometimes. : ) This time of year MI is in the period just after winter, then we have the short period just before winter, then we have winter, BTW, What is that big glowing ball of fire thing in the sky in those pictures? Was that a UFO?
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »

No, thats a seaguil or pelican...

JW

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Ahhhh, OK.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

offgridgirl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35:27 AM »
Okay I'm hungry!! ;D  Where do I sign-up for this food every week??
Only gravity scares me, when I'm on my horse!
offgridfarms.com

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:56 AM »
Shoulda snapped a picture of the rabbit before throwing it in the slow-cooker tonight.

The Fieldlines Pub: You never know what you'll find!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Thai Grilled Chicken (Gai Yang)
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Gai Yang- Thai Grilled Chicken.

Chicken- at least 2 lbs.
Coriander (3)
Pinch salt
4 garlic cloves
one half teaspoon ground white pepper
3 tablespoons fish sauce (simular to teriaki sauce, but lighter in color.
large pinch of suger
(added half packet of saz'on seasoning)

The recipe that mine is based on can be found here- http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/gai-yang-grilled-chicken-recipe/index.html

2649-0
The basic ingredents when considering this recipe, it calls for "coriiander roots" but curly parsly or cilantro is the same thing. I use stems chopped in a slap chop...

2650-1
Although coriander roots are specified, several stems maybe substituted for a root, im using more than the recipe im basing this on, the stems and leafs should have a citrus-mint smell.

add to the chicken, im using cut boneless skinless thigh fillets.

grate garlic cloves then chop in in the slap chop.

add garlic

add 3 table spoons fish sauce and stir.

add ground white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon.

stir

Add some Saz'on to give some color.

add a large pinch of table suger.

mix thoughly and stab with fork.

marinade for 4 to 5 hours in the fridge, take out of the fridge and let marinade on counter for the last hour and a half.

putting chicken on squers.

chicken on the grill.

after about 16 minuites on the grill flipped once every 3 minuites

2665-16
Heres a picture of what it looks like when done, ENJOY!  ;D

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
The above pictures were actually from last week.

Here's what the chicken looked like tonight when done, came out fantastic  ;D

(same recipe)

JW

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
:)  OMG yum yum yummy looking :)

Speaking of munchies
here is what I did this morning

In a move to create something new up here in Tusas I've gone ahead with a plan which has been in the back of my mind for 30 years: Namely make my own Granola Cereal, agian!

New Item!  Fresh Homemade Granola

Granola- of course Granola is very similar to the health-nut cookies I've been making for the last couple of years.

Start with a couple eggs beaten in a two quart mixing bowl

Add a little warm water, maybe a cup, doesn't matter really. Blend

Add honey, Splenda if you like, or whatever sweetener you prefer, around a cup together honey/Splenda, a tea spoon of baking power, half stick of margerine/1/4 cup canola oil or what ever oil substitute you prefer

To the liquid add nuts raisens, cranberries, mix well.

In a large bowl mix in eight cups of quality rolled oats,  cup corn meal, two cups of whole wheat flour

You're almost done. Granola has less oil and no butter (thank goodness) than my cookie mix, and Granola is mixed drier than cookie dough.

Pour it all together, and mix it well, hopefully you have a proper moisture to  dry ingredients  ratio. The dough should not hold together, but break into little clumps

Chuck the dough loosely on oiled cookie sheets, bake for fifteen minutes until brown in a preheated oven 450 degrees. I meant to stir the granola, but it cooked faster than cookies, didn't matter one side was toasted more is all.

Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
I like it Brian.

I always wondered how granola was made  ;D

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
One of my great recipes-

Im always looking for the bargan, I have a deep freeze and today rumaging thru it, setting out stuff to defrost, cooking 2 steaks on the grill (beef chuck eye boneless) theres some crab stuffed flounder(2) and some clams (4 cherry stones). all the stuff I cook tonight will only cost about 15 bucks- I bought it on sale week's ago and put it in the deep freezer.

-will update with pic-

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »

You know whats going to happen next :)

By the way the clams were fresh and not frozen about 48 cents a piece there were 5 but I ate the first one raw. Never buy clams, oysters or mussles if the shell is open... Clams and musles, oysters should never be frozen.

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
The stuffed flounder kind of fell apart, the clams are also done by this point

The steaks had to cook longer

on the plate

Enjoy  ;D

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
the steak turned out medium rare- nice

here's how the clams came out

4827-1

JW

TimS

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »
I'm a big fan of making bread.  I use the "no-knead" method (you can google that term), it just too easy, and tastes great.
Today I made another loaf- I make 2 or 3 a week, cost is about $1.20 and it is way better than what is in the local market.

Mix 3 1/4 flour with yeast and 2 tsb of salt.  Add 1 3/4 cups *warm* water, in a bowl, cover with some wrap, and let sit for 12 hours.
The next morning (this morning in my case) take an old clean cotton tee-shirt and cover it in a film of flour, put the dough in, and let sit for a couple of hours.  It should double in size.

Then I bake it at 450 degrees in a dutch oven, for 30 minutes.  Then I take the cover off and bake it for another 15 minutes until the top is brown.
Yummy!

TimS

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
I've also experimented with thyme and basel mixed into the flour before adding water.  Pretty good.  A couple of loafs ago I added a mixture of Asiago cheese, finely grated mixed with several chopped cloves of garlic.  That worked well, but the young boy still likes it best when it is plain.  Without butter.  Go figure!

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »
Yum Yum, everyting looks too good to not enjoy a good meal and a little laughter and the world around you. My son hated me for about 4 months when I made the mistake of sending him pictures of our campout on a small creek. He was in Iraq at the time. One of the pictures sent (by mistake) was of us cooking fresh fish and steaks on the open fire grill. With corn on the comb and mashed potatoes in the pans next to the fire. I heard from him with the calling card we sent along with everything else about 5 minutes after he opened his care package and he told me I owed him big time and it could not be big enough, thick enough, juicy enough, and the beer had better be cold when he got back. Everyone has had a laugh about it but at the time it was not funny to him for they had been on MRE's and would be on them for the next three months. He told me that it did help him pass his rifle qualifications. It made a good target after about 2 weeks. Life is real good and good cooking is a treat for all to enjoy. 
I like a good steak but I like to cook veges also Slice up parsnips, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, potatoes, red and green peppers , onions, mushrooms, celery, Garlic, Lowery seasoning salt, lemon pepper, thyme,  sage, and maybe add little bit of cooked bacon and then let it simmer and just when things are still semi crunchy slice apples around 1/4 inch thick and lay on top thus letting the steam cook the apples and add just a hint of Cinnamon on top of the Apple's.  Let cook until the apples are soft then eat the apples first. The potatoes and parsnips need to be cooked first then slowly add the rest. Add the mushrooms last.  Sometimes I'll add a little tabassco sause even pieces of chicken cokoke seperately then added . Food for thought.
MntMnROY 13

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
Ok,

This is a "trackback" JW's smoker part 3

Just remember The "Thai chicken Sticks" are totally awesome... (from above) Thai Grilled Chicken (Gai Yang)

i've got a new smoker now, Im planning on doing some salmon fillets with the honey teriaki or other "sweet sauce".

The hardest thing for me to find around here, since I moved here, is fresh bagels. Cheers..

Thai Grilled Chicken (Gai Yang)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:22:39 AM by JW »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 02:35:26 AM »
What time is dinner????  Looks good, I need to buy a new camra. The one I use is 16 year sold. Regardless what kind of picture a person takes it does no justice, but the seeing of the real thing and in this case eating the real thing is the best way.Looks good
MntMnROY 13

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 03:17:39 PM »
My wife got me a new smoker for Xmas, this is the first chance I've had to use it. I cured it today (wiped cooking oil on the inside and got it smoking for a while)

Im doing the Salmon again, so far this smoker works way better than my old one.

I use honey teriaki marinade and set it in the fridge over night. I also have some corn in there. (corn comes out awsome wrapped in tin foil) also I put hickory wood chips in the water pan. (I always do this)

Will post a pic after it comes out, about 5 hours

also debugging an image attachment issue (related to security)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:19:12 PM by JW »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:28 AM »
Smoking a sirloin roast tomorrow to medium rare. Rubbed with kosher salt, lots of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, and paprika. Let rest for 30 minutes then slice super thin. Pile on a buttered and toasted roll, have a bowl of beef au jus for dipping and horseradish on the side. May smoke bake some potatoes while I am at it then slice and pan fry in butter. I use a trager smoker that makes it easy! Pictures will follow.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
These are my Thai Chicken Sticks, there's a detailed recipe here- http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,144905.msg986159.html#msg986159

Going to be doing some fried shrimp, bay scallops and some tilapia, tonight. Frying this up with batter "Zatarain's Wonderful Fish-Fri" shaked in a ziplock bag and put in a skillet with some oil on medium heat. Will update with pictures as I finish cooking :)

Hey Chris O.  how do you cook your Walleye?

JW

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »
My baked bean recipe to go with all that grilled food, tastes way better than the canned stuff. Will post a picture next time I make a batch.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Beans

Recipe By     :Mary Brown
Serving Size  : 16    Preparation Time :0:45
Categories    : sides

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1           48oz jar  cooked white beans -- drained
  1              pound  bacon -- fried until not quite crispy, reserve the fat
  1              large  onion -- peeled and chopped
  8        tablespoons  sugar
     2/3           cup  molasses
  2          teaspoons  dry mustard
  4          teaspoons  salt -- optional
  2          teaspoons  black pepper -- or to taste, start with 1/2tsp
  4        tablespoons  bacon fat
                        water -- just to cover everything

combine everything in a bbq pit or oven safe dish or crockpot. Cook at 225 to 250 or on low for the crockpot for 8 to 10 hours

Description:
  "Easy baked beans from the bbq pit or crockpot"
Start to Finish Time:
  "10:00"

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »
I have created a few of my own recipes for one reason is I cannot stand food that has no taste.

Frank's Frijitas Tonight
1 1/4 LBs Top sirloin cut a little on the thin side then cut into finger wide strips marinated 24 hours in 4 TBL of my very hot sauce diluted with just enough water & 2TBL of olive oil to cover then the container was sealed in foil and placed in the fridge.
 Place meat & marinade in 10 inch cast iron skillet add enough water to cover the steak strips. Use low heat cover skillet allow to cook at a simmer for 30 to 45 minutes
Cut half a large onion into ¼ “slices then quarter the slices separate all of the layers place in a 12” nonstick heat dispersing skillet with a tight fitting glass lid add 2 TBLs olive oil and enough water to slightly cover the onions . Place on low to medium heat bring to simmer reduce heat simmer for 20 to 25 minutes
 Drain 2/3rds of liquid add cut up green yellow & or red bell pepper s cut into thin strips. Return to heat on low simmer for additional 10 minutes drain remaining liquid return to heat on very low cook 2 to 4 minutes keep covered but stir occasionally
 Place 1 can of refried beans in small sauce pan add water to thin heat on med heat.
Use a 2 qt pot with tight fitting cover  place perforated aluminum pie pan inside wrinkle edges to fit add 3 TBL s water 1 tsp lemon juice lay 5 or 6 corn tortillas & 5 or 6 flour tortillas on pie pan cover pot place on high heat 2 minutes
 Open can or Rotel  extra chunky drain most liquid  if you prefer cur up a tomato and shred some lettuce   
 SERV and enjoy makes enough for 2 people
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »

Frank's Simple Shrimp recipe
 12 Jumbo Shrimp marinated overnight
Marinade
 Â½ cup Worcestershire,
2 TBLs lemon juice,
2TBLs olive oil,
1TBLs Cinnamon,
1tsp Turmeric,
1tsp Basil,
1TBLs Mustard,
1tsp Thyme,
½ bulb crushed garlic,
1TBLs oregano,
1tsp paprika
Batterdip breading:
1 cup biscquick
¼ cup Flour + 1 cup
½ cup fine ground corn meal,
¼ cup ground Bread crumbs
2TBLs powdered oats
1 egg beaten
¼ cup milk
½ cup water
 Place shrimp and marinade in zip-lock plastic bag force all air out and seal place in refrigerator overnight
 Mix batter ingredients use just enough water to form consistency of pancake batter. Use tongs to remove shrimp from marinade lightly coat in the 1 cup flour then dip in batter or place the batter in a plastic freezer bag dump in the shrimp shake well then remove with the tongs gently drop in deep fryer until golden   
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Frank S

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »
Frank's Fish n chips sauté
Start with ½ of 1 large onion
1 medium bell pepper
6 mild to medium heat green chilies
4 red radishes
5 baby carrots
½ a whole garlic bulb
 Dice everything place in 12 inch nonstick skillet, pour in ¼ cup olive oil ½ cup water 1 TBLs concentrated lime juice 1TBLs real lemon juice, pinch in 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp marjoram,1/2 tsp turmeric,  place over low heat cover and sauté for 20 minutes add more oil & water if needed to cover 
 Cut 2 fish into fingerling filets about 1 LB
 After vegetables are reduced add fish filets, use spatula to push into oil, add 1 cup thawed French fries or precook in microwave for 4 minutes spread and push into oil, cover and cook 10 minutes, stir, increase heat slightly cook 1 more minutes. Drain oil use spatula to squeeze out as much oil as possible.   Serves 2     

Frank S

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 04:01:18 PM »
Frank's Baked Shrimp recipe
I can never leave a recipe alone;
 Baked Shrimp
1lb shrimp shelled & spine' thawed or fresh
 1 cup bread crumbs
½ - 2/3rds cup orange juice
½ TBL spoon lemon juice
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
2TBL spoon Soy sauce
¼ cup olive oil
½ T spoon salt
 1 T spoon Cayenne pepper
2 TBL spoon melted butter
1 TBL spoon chives
 2 TBL spoon Honey
 Mix orange, lemon, honey Olive oil, Butter, garlic & salt in a large Zip lock bag add shrimp
 Remove all air gently kneed shrimp in marinade to cover completely place in refrigerator for ½ hour to overnight
Instead of Soy I used Worcestershire
For juice I used fresh oranges 2 medium sized will yield 2/3rds cup set the pulp to small
 Added 1/2 table spoon lemon
 For the crumbs I added heavy pinch each of Sweet basil, Oregano, Thyme, & 1TBL spoon Turmeric.
 Cubed 3 small potatoes (About 2 cups) placed potatoes and crumb mix in Zip bag give a good shake then remove potatoes from crumbs with slotted spoon
 Put shrimp in Crumbs give a good couple of shakes then
 Place shrimp in large shallow glass bake dish pour potatoes over shrimp then  spread remaining bread crumbs over shrimp & potatoes now pour remaining liquid over top of everything grate Parmesan cheese then bake for required time
 Hint"" it helps to precook the potatoes in a microwave or oven until nearly done

Frank S

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
 Frank's  Vegetable fish stew;
1 ½ LBS fish filets cubed in 1 to 2 inch squares
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1 large green bell pepper cut up large diced size
¼ cup diced carrots
¼ cup diced yellow onion
5 medium red radishes grated
5 cloves of garlic crushed
1½ cups of frozen French fries
3 TBLs olive oil
1½ cups water
1 TBLs crushed oregano
1TBLs crushed basil
1TBLs margram
1TBL turmeric
½ tsp cumin
1tsp salt
1 TBLs horseradish
2TBLs soy sauce
Break up French fries to 1 inch lengths place in microwave for 3 ½ minutes on high
Place everything else except fish in 12 inch nonstick skillet on med/ high heat cover and cook for 10 minutes stir in French fries cover & reduce heat simmer on low for 5 minutes. Carefully push everything to the sides add fish in center of skillet push down until all fish is on bottom of skillet raise heat 1 step cover and cook for 5 minutes. Check fish if tender & flakey stir everything well, cover & reduce heat cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat let stand 2 minutes, dish up and enjoy 

Frank S

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
Frank's beef stew
 Start with good quality stew meat.
 1 ½ LBS cubed beef
2 cups new potatoes either fresh slightly par boiled, or canned
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, or (1 carrot 1 small turnip 1 small red potato, ½ cup peas, ½ cup green beans, 1 small green pepper, dice all ).
½ cup diced fresh wild onion shoots
1 large bell pepper sliced and diced
6 large long medium heat green peppers
½ bulb of garlic
1TBLs chopped oregano
1 TBLs chopped sweet basil
1 TBLs Marjoram
1 TBLs Turmeric
1 TBLs salt
1 TBLs black pepper
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
2 Qt.s water
   In a hot iron skillet over high heat slightly sear all sides of the meat in ¼ cup virgin olive oil for a couple of minutes . Remove and mix everything into a 4 Qt. thick bottom aluminum or cast iron pot, cook slowly for 5 to 6 hours stirring once in a while. When meat and potatoes can be cut or mashed with a plastic spoon your meal is ready to eat.
   A word of warning you will be tempted to eat several bowlfuls.

Frank S

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Franks Yellow Spaghetti
Have you ever wanted a different pasta dish?
 Tired of the same old white chalky tasting spaghetti?
 Well try this on for size
 1 ½ Liter of water ( a little over 1 ½  Qts)
200 gr of your favorite spaghetti or shell pasta ( 6.4 oz)
1to 1 ½ tsp. turmeric
  1tsp. Fine crushed oregano
1 tsp. crushed sweet basil
1 tsp. thyme
 1 tsp. crushed mustard seed
1 ½ TBL sp  olive oil
1 TBL sp butter
 2 to 3 large cloves of garlic
½ tsp. salt
 ! jar of your favorite spaghetti or pasta sauce  or make your own from fresh vegies
 Ingredients for meat
 500 gr coarse ground meat  just over 1 LB
 Â½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. thyme
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. maragram
½ tsp. curry
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. sweet basil
1 large clove crushed garlic
1 TBLsp. Black pepper
½ tsp. salt
 2TBL sp fine chopped onion
 1 Jalapeno pepper
1TBL sp of crushed red peppers
1red Habanero pepper
1Hot green Egyptian chili pepper
1Tbl sp of Tabasco peppers

OR 1 ½ TBL sp of my  special hot sauce

1 10inch  Skillet

1, 3 liter sauce pan or cooking pot

Mix dry ingredients in a mortar& pestle crush to powder then pour into cooking pot, add water, oil, butter & spaghetti or pasta bring to a boil then simmer at low boil until pasta is cooked about 20 minutes
I like to use the lowest heat possible to allow the spaghetti to absorb much of the herbs & spices for flavor.
Chop peppers in a food processor
Place meat and seasonings in skillet brown over low heat 
Drain meat and pasta mix spaghetti, meat & pasta sauce in cook pot place on low heat stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes remove from heat and serve Makes 3 to 4 large servings
The taste is a spicy mix between Indian & Tex-Mex the spaghetti will have a slightly sharp flavor and a yellow color due to the turmeric 
  I use a lot of herbs & spices in many things that I prepare. It is reported that Garlic is good for Heart & blood pressure health turmeric is reported to have benefits in the prevention or slowing of Alzheimer's the herbs and hot chili peppers are reported to show some cancer preventing attributes
But mostly  I just love the taste