Author Topic: What are those batteries the railroads use?  (Read 7919 times)

freejuice

What are those batteries the railroads use?
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
Ok I'm driving home from work this past Friday and I see some large batteries being replaced by workmen for the railroad...what are these things...they looked huge!?!
What's the storage capacity...Cost....availability....any information :o)
thanks,
 Gavin

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: What are those batteries the railroads use?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
Ok I'm driving home from work this past Friday and I see some large batteries being replaced by workmen for the railroad...what are these things...they looked huge!?!
What's the storage capacity...Cost....availability....any information :o)
thanks,
 Gavin
Gavin;
 Since they've been known to use different chemistries over the years, bet thing would be to stop and ask or take picks of them.

Usually they're on a schedule to be replaced. BSNF here in St.L. changes theirs out every 5 years, BUT before anyone asks, they're already spoken for for the next 20 years.   ;) I asked ;)

Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
GE uses lead acid batteries to my knowledge.  They are stringed to 72v.  If I remember correctly, the pack was about 6-8 ft long by 2-3 feet deep and 8-10" tall.  I just know that it takes a lot of power to turn over one of those 6000 hp engines (11 Liters per cylinder!).  I can't wait to see the hybrid locomotives.  They are testing them out right now.  Supposedly they can save 10% on fuel.  I think they were going to use lead acids for those too.

independent

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:05:12 AM »
As far as I know Locomotives here are Diesel Electric, have been for a decades. Large ships are the same. Diesel drives generator driving electric motors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive#Diesel-electric

TXWolfie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
Damm they are huge I never even thought about a locomotive battery but i did did a fast google search and found this

Changhong Locomotive Battery (pocket type and sintered type Ni-CAD battery ) are widely used for the following locomotive and light train applications.

1) Emergency power supply for control and light.
Reference: KPH80 KPL125, KPL135, KPL165, KPM120, KPL300-(3)et.
2) Engine starting on locomotive.
Reference: KPX170, KPX190, KPM220 etc.
3) Pantograph lifting on electric locomotive.
Reference: KPL100, KPH120, KPX180 etc.
4) Signal control on the ground for track traffic.
Reference: KPM100, KPM200 etc.

For railway and locomotive application, our products such as KPM170, KPM170-(5) KPM220, KPM190 etc. Are applied as starting power for diesel locomotives; KPL100, KPL100-(2), KPL100-(3), KPH120 etc. Are applied as power of lifting pantograph for electric locomotives; KPM100, KPM150, KPM400 etc. Are applied for railway signaling and telecommunications; And KM45P, KPH20, KPM40-(7), KPM120-(4) etc. Are applied as emergency power supply for air-conditioned passenger cars.

For subway and light train application, KMZ120P is applied to Shanghai Subway Line I on DC01 direct-current electrically operated rolling-stocks; KMZ160P is applied to Shanghai Subway Line II on AC01/AC02 alternating-current electrically operated rolling-stocks; GN60-YL is applied to Iran and Beijing subway rolling-stocks as complete sets of rechargeable battery; KHP35, KXP80-(4), KPL50 are applied to Korea Taegu Subway, Spain Subway and Beijing Subway as emergency power supply and lighting; KPM60-(4), KPM100 are applied to 200Km/h high speed train as standby rechargeable battery and so on.

Changhong pocket plate Ni-CAD batteries, such as KPM200, KPM75, KPM30, KPM150, KPH100 have been applicable for Line 1&2 and Northern extension line in Tehran Metro.

Changhong sintered plate Ni-CAD battery KPX90 have installed in locomotive trains between Germany and Hungary in Dec, 2008.

Tritium

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
I priced a set of those wet nicads. 2000aH bank at 48V nominal for only 40K (they were on sale for 30K at the time since they had an extra set they wanted to sell). They had some very nice features though. Did not mind deep discharge or being left discharged for a while nor high or low temps and were fairly immune to overcharge (all issues that would kill a wet lead acid bank dead in no time at all).

Thurmond