Author Topic: What to do with 36 shattered PV-cells?  (Read 3830 times)

walp

What to do with 36 shattered PV-cells?
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »
Hi! Im new at this side of the Fieldlines-forum and have just bought (what may be the stupidest purchase of the year so far) 36 shattered PV-cells rated at about 130W/18V. for 185$ incl shipping\handling\instructions.

They are said to be refurbished with silicone\duct tape, whatever that means. They are monocristalline as far as I know.

Will they deteriorate beyond recognition or may it actually be worth building a isolated wooden\PMMA-frame to them?

I´ll get the parcel in a couple of days and need some advice before testing the performance and\or leakage(?)

\walp

SteveCH

Re: What to do with 36 shattered PV-cells?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
What do you mean by shattered? That the glass covers on the pv panels are cracked?

Is this a single panel with 36 cells? Or is it a whole lot of panels that are all broken?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:30:15 AM by SteveCH »

walp

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »
The original panel from which they came from had a broken glass cover, and the one who salvaged them probably had to break small edges of each and every cell to be able to sell them to me (no pun intended).

So I have in a very naive manner bought 36 pieces of small 0.16 x 0.16 m (6"x6") panels,(P_peak 4W) each shattered in their corners, with approximately 5% - 10% loss of area for each cell, but they are said to be refurbished with some material.

As long as I get my parcel with cells I'm happy,  would be kinda sad to loose 185$, even if that isn't that much of a big deal, cause I just sold half a ton of sugar worth $1000 with a $200 profit ;)

Is there any problem with PV-cells that have lost some edge pieces except for area related power loss..? Like leakage, short circuit tendencies or any other thing that I have missed?

/walp

Harold in CR

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »

Are you buying these sight unseen ??

I split a buy with a friend, by getting 1KW of 6 X 6 cells, with all the necessary connection stuff, for under $500.00.  Just for fun, look on Ebay for 6 X 6 cells by seller lowcostsolar2010. You would be be way ahead doing this, unless you are stuck with what you have coming.

These things are VERY fragile, so, I would not like to spend that much for ?? broken cells ??

walp

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
I guess you live in America where everything's made possible!

I live in Communist Russia (at least that's how I feel), where everything cool is either unobtainable,  über expensive or gets taxated really high.

Besides, shipping solar panels from U.S\China is really complicated and expensive to what I have learned.

But then again, the price for electricity is also way higher over here, so looking at that perspective, a panel in my hand over here, is worth more than the same panel in your hand over there. ;D

Current price, 20c/kWh average in Sweden, whats your price? 7c/kWh?

\walp (feeling kinda sad now)

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Here in New Sweden with all taxes and delivery charges... 14¢ per kW/h.

Harold in CR

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:23:54 PM »

I thought you had solar CELLS bought ??  That's what I bought, on Ebay. Box is 6" X 6" X 2" deep. Has 500 watts of CELLS in it.

Each CELL is rated at .55 V and 8 amps. that's 16% efficiency rating. They are FROM Europe, but, I buy from the American seller on Ebay.

NO, I live in Costa Rica, not the USA. I have to have nearly everything I need, shipped down. I am buying glass and Aluminum Window Frame, locally. Going to use Acid FREE Silicone to seat-seal the cells to the glass.

My electric bill = 125 Colones / Kwh, that's .24 cents on the Dollar.

Wasn't trying to make you feel bad. Just hoped you might be able to get out of that deal, at that price.  There are lots of broken cells on Ebay.  Sometimes, already soldered tabbed cells can be bought very reasonable, and just stick them back together, in strips.

walp

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
Hehe, 24c/kWh thats pretty expensive for living in a tropical country! (Guess the massive AC usage has something to do with it)

I have to defend myself, the part of Sweden where I live, always have the cheapest bill due to the massive Hydro-electric stations nearby,
but its not unusual to see spikes with almost $1/kWh now and then for the other Cities (and sometimes for us as well)...
kinda scary when the temperature goes below -20°C!  :o

Also noticed this when I read the local news this morning:

http://translate.google.se/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vk.se%2FArticle.jsp%3Farticle%3D417557&act=url

:(    They are sucking us dry!

Bottom line: Okey, where in Europe can I get those cells?  (European Ebay?) What brand\fabrication is it?
At least stuff from within the E.U is tax free! :)

\walp

EDIT: Holy Bajebus!!   200$ + 60$ shipping (may be taxated, but still only like 350$ for ~0.5kW )
From lowcostsolar2010 @ ebay.com... how can be be so cheap?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:19:46 AM by walp »

Harold in CR

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
  HAH, no A/C in the house. That's the problem down here. Monopoly runs the Energy Business. However, my 4 acres or 1.7 Manzana Farm, with small house and workshop, taxes are $60.00 US.

What is this referring to ??

EDIT: Holy Bajebus!!   200$ + 60$ shipping (may be taxated, but still only like 350$ for ~0.5kW )

Is this a complete Panel, Maybe ??

In the States, there is a Directory called "Thomas Register".  I don't know if it covers outside the US, but, There must be a way to search for 16% Solar Cell-6" X 6"-.55V-8A.

Of course, you might have to put the Metric measurements to this. 17% are now available, so, I'm thinking those 16% are now obsolete or left overs. Might even be too late to find 16% cells ??

OK. Just did a search on Ebay. There is a item at 1KW, already tabbed, and all necessary connection ribbon-circuit wire , flux and the price is $350.00 US. Needs $60.00 shipping, BUT, I made an offer for what I bought, to have the shipping included in the $cells pricing, and, I got it. You may be able to do the same, negociate. This is 35 CENTS a watt pricing US Dollar wise.

Just went back and clicked on the photo. It SAYS 500 W and 5" X 5" cells. Photo does NOT match the sale. I would ask before purchase. I got the full 1KW when I bought. Then, I bought the Ghurd Controller from this site. Just need the other stuff shipped down.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:50:23 AM by Harold in CR »