Author Topic: which charge controller?  (Read 2464 times)

ged

which charge controller?
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
Hi everybody.I have built a 12 foot piggot ,24 volt wind turbine and I want it up and running this summer.I have a 2500 watt Nova Electric pure sine inverter(actually 2 of them)I have no storage batteries yet .My question is that Im seeing alot of different Charge controllers on the market and Im confused as to which one to get.Could you please steer me in the right direction!Ive been looking at this one on ebay.     http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220515551657&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT   Thanks for your reply

zvizdic

Re: which charge controller?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
GHURD controller is the best ..............

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
I've never seen that particular controller before and the specs seem OK except for this:
Dumploads until battery voltage is 26 volts
Seems a bit low... but that's just me.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
i personally have the morningstar ts-60.  i like that a temp sensor can be added to vary the "full" voltage pf the bank for various temperatures.  i works great for me, and i have heard many good things about it.  the xantrex c-40 and c-60 are also supposed to be solid units.  the ghurd controller has to be the best bang for the buck! 

adam

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:03:22 AM »
I'll put in another vote for the Morningstar TS-60.  Just going by the ratings, it handles a wind turbine better than a C60 will.  I have a TS-60 and a C40.  They behave very differently, despite seeming so similar.  With the C40 I would often see the battery voltage "overshoot" the bulk charge voltage level when the turbine sped up.  Never happened yet with the TS-60 (though I haven't had it as long) charging the same battery bank.  I don't like the DIP switches on the TS-60, though.  The rotary knobs on the Xantrex CC's make more sense to me.
A TS-60 should be able to manage a 12-foot turbine.   I'm not certain that the C60 can - the Xantrex models should be de-rated by 20% for wind diversion, so maybe it's only a "C48"?

The temperature sensor is a "must" IMHO.  Nobody's batteries remain at the same temperature ALL the time, unless you live in an eternally climate-controlled office building...  Not likely if you have a wind turbine outside!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
I like the ghurd controller,  ;D
But
12' can make a lot of power, and needs a lot of battery.

TS-60 gets my vote because of the bells & whistles, and simplisity.

C60 has issues SparWeb mentioned.

The ebay unit has several things I don't like the sound of.
"2 volt tolerance makes this unit chatter free" means relays, and sloppy driven relays.  The sellers selection of controllers come in 40A increments (same as cheap relays) which concerns me.
"2 volt tolerance" is not much control in a 24V system.
"Dumpload is full pass through rectified unregulated from input" does not sound good to most people.
"Full disconnects from batteries so if dumpload fails batteries don't overcharge" is down right dangerous.
I will refrain from going on, though I could.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

zvizdic

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »
ChrisO 12' is pumping well over 2000w, if your blades are any good you will see that .

2000/28.8=69.4A

That is why I like GHurd controller . You parallel Mosfits  to desired Amps and some overkill .
Bells & whistle are good, but if you doing for need of power and you are building mill yourself, budget is tight.
If you are building for hobby, then building GHurd controller is learning experience.

G is modest !

ged

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys.It sounds like I will get the Morningstar ts60 or build the ghurd controller.Im definetely not an expert on this subject and I dont like surprises!
Im sure your replies have saved me alot of head aches.   Thanks again   Ged