Author Topic: Bit blou#y dry here  (Read 2084 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Bit blou#y dry here
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:14:21 AM »
Here in my part of OZ (Australia) it is a bit dry, actually the driest it has been since the mid 60's, yea I know the banana benders have had floods and cyclones, north of my state has had those also but here it is just dry.

Now the two soaks that feed stock troughs have run dry, well one has a drip flowing into the trough but.... the bovines have been moved, they had water from groundwater bores but was a bit of a hike for them, those troughs were at the bottom of the hill.

Anyway I took a pick of the soak just down from the house...

and its trough, but yep I had to look twice also. a quick hello me old mate need a hand.....

His mate was history, spared you that in the pic, took "it" home washed the mud off and placed in a suitable container, reusable fruit crate, now sitting on the edge, it  may survive something only time will tell.

anyway the other soak, at my feet feeds the trough below there is a small drip, just enough to sustain the bees etc.

It is Autumn here so first day of Autumn sunrise.

This summer past we have had quite a few bush fires but one just can not get a good burn anymore, first sign of smoke and they send in the fixed wing bombers or heli-tankers an put it out, now how is one to get a good summer burn. A few days ago a small wisp of smoke raised it's ugly head and yep two water bombers were duly dispatched to flood the area, now if you can not see the fire you are not alone nor could I beyond the first 10 min or so.

Your tax payer dollars at work.
allan
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 02:29:16 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Bit blou#y dry here
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:31:26 PM »
Looks like you could get your fruit watered free by starting a smudge pot afire in your orchard.  ??? ::) ;D

Always looking for that advantage.

Tom

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »
Looks like you could get your fruit watered free by starting a smudge pot afire in your orchard.  ??? ::) ;D

Always looking for that advantage.

Tom

LOL
As long as that tanker has just water!

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »
That water bomber looks about useless?
A pint is a pound, 231 cubic inches in a gallon, 4 quarts in a gallon, lots of beer in a keg, so around a 200 gallon water cargo in a plane like that?
Dry means low humidity, so most of that water vapor evaporated before reaching the dirt?

That's as bad as here (obviously the US from my water capacity calculations) where they are tearing down 1000s of brand new highway signs to replace with...
Brand new signs.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

12AX7

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
Please excuse what is probably a dumb question..   but what is a "soak"?

Is it a pond or just a place where the ground remains (most often) wet like a bog?

wpowokal

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
From what I know those planes carry 3000 liters of water and fire retardant, they double as crop dusters, link to the company running them..........
http://www.dunnav.com.au/firebombing.htm

A Soak is simply an area where water exits the ground, by digging them out you have a storage, one of mine is open and has to be dug out every few years, the other was dug out as a new one I filled with a load of limestone rubble covered with plastic and then back filled with the top soil, there was an outlet pipe through the lower wall. So 12AX7 you are basically right.

The Kookaburra left a small deposit, guess that can be taken as a down payment,  and flew away sometime yesterday afternoon.

allan 

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:53 AM »
Maybe it is time for some water witching. My grand fathers side of the family (males only) can do it easily but the women have a hard tine with it. It works in the states but I do not know about it working down under as you are sometimes referred too. Some people can and others cannot. Does it work there is my question?
MntMnROY 13

wpowokal

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:39:03 AM »
Simple answer thirteen yes, I had a water drilling business based on it, we are not short of water it's more a matter of having it in the right place.

allan