Author Topic: My very first project, Solar can air heater.  (Read 9454 times)

waqas123

My very first project, Solar can air heater.
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »
Hi guys I've been doing alot of reading into making a solar can heater to warm up our Garage which has been converted into a games/home theatre room as our heating bill is way too much.

I'd like any input you guys have that would make the design more efficient and any other help you can offer as this is my very first DIY project. Ow and am from Derbyshire, England.

I was thinking of having my panel horizontal rather than vertical as I wish to have it on the room and horizontal is more appropriate for where I plan to have it.

I plan to get either a double glazed or triple glazed reclaimed or unwanted window to build my solar heater from, preferably 2 meters by 1 meter.

I've posted pictures below of my design. What do you guys think?

I went for a curved design as it will maximise sunlight exposure and have black foil under the can the gain any escaped / missed light (saw a Youtube video, dont know much about black foil)
As for insulation, ill put some fibreglass of high heat resistant ones.

I have a video that ill be following to build the frame etc and just need it for heat output only so the panel will be fixed in place. I would ideally wish to run a fan etc of solar energy or battery but don't have a clue how I will do that.

I will start the project within the month and can't wait. Should be a interesting build.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:56:19 PM by waqas123 »

waqas123

What type of glass
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
Hi guys, I went to the reclaims yard today and they had a few windows but I was not sure what would be best.

Should I get a standard glass, or double/triple glazed. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: My very first project, Solar can air heater.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
Not triple!

Maybe not double either.
Double insulates it, but also stops much of the solar from getting in to make heat.

If it was me, using regular glass, I would get the thinnest single pane available.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

waqas123

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »
Thanks G, ill get a single panel.

Can I ask why you said not to get a double or triple panel? I assume the thicker it is the more heat it mokes or is it the other way around?

Ill double insulate it from the sides and bottom but what do you mean by "but also stops much of the solar from getting in to make heat." What do you mean with this statement? don't you want to get as much solar rays in to warm the aluminium cans?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
You want the solar rays to reach the cans.

The more layers and thicknesses of glass it has to try to get through, the less energy reaches the cans.

Example with triple pane.
The outside layer absorbs some energy and gets warm.  That energy never made it to the cans.
Some of the radiation is reflected back toward the sun.  That energy never made it to the cans.
The second layer absorbs some energy and gets warm.  That energy never made it to the cans.
Some more radiation is reflected back toward the sun.  That energy never made it to the cans.
The 3rd layer absorbs some energy, and reflects some radiation, too.  And that energy never made it to the cans either.

What is left gets to the cans to make them warm...
But that's a lot of energy NOT making it to the cans.

I believe Gary one said double pane is a double edged sword.
Pretty sure he would say triple pane is just a bad idea.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »

I believe Gary one said double pane is a double edged sword.
Pretty sure he would say triple pane is just a bad idea.

I think everything I've ever read said double is pretty much a wash... what you gain in insulation, you lose in energy reaching the surface.
It might be worth it if you had low iron glass but finding that stuff used would be difficult I would think.

waqas123

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. Ill keep you updated.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the curve.  Instead put a flat mirror on each side to fold back the light that misses the last row of cans.  Much easier.

I'd be inclined to go with double pane if the environment is COLD, single if not.  Loss to conduction goes up with temperature difference, so the break-even point depends on external temperature.

IMHO far more critical is to avoid low-E glass, which is coated to reflect a big cut of the lovely visible and near-infrared photons you're trying to collect, to AVOID heating the stuff behind the window.  For window service you can bounce 3/4 of 'em and barely notice the decrease in illumination.  But you'll sure notice the decrease in heat.

kenl

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 09:37:09 PM »
  I've built one of these and feel you would get more heat if you went taller with your design. Being as short as you picture the air will not heat up enough to be very efficient. As for the glazing, I've used clear plastic sheet (visqueen) which tends to sag when it gets hot and poly carb roofing which works very well. If I could get glass for free though that would have been my first choice. Would help keep the build cost down. Fiber glass insulation may not be a good option here, polyiso withstands high heat and has a foil face already. Takes paint nicely also. I went for a sheet of 4'x8'x3/4" and cut 5" off both ends and the sides for insulating all around the inside of the frame. Seemed to work well. I also tried RTV and regular silicon for "gluing"  the cans end to end and found the silicon worked better.

Good luck and enjoy the free heat when your done.

kenny

seemed like a good idea at the time
seemed like a good idea at the time

Shadow

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
If theres any chance at all of this being struck by hail, I would use tempered glass. I took a patio door apart to get mine. I salvaged 3 sheets of glass out 4.

Place your glass about an inch above your metal.

Mine worked all winter as long as we had sun. I have pictures where it was -25 outside and 230 degrees inside the collector. I have 2 ,5 inch fans moving the air and still have to high of an inside temperature. You want the temp to be around 150 or so inside your collector.

Vertical seems to give more rise to collect heat from the top.

jaskiainen

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »
Hi waqas123

Like ULR said earlier if you live in cold climate then use double glazing. But don't go triple or anything like that.
I had a little conversation wit GaryGary (www.builtitsolar.com) and i made my panel with double glazing because of the winters here in Finland. Temperature might be anything between -10 - -40 degrees Celsius.

That was that and now to the second part. I used two 12V computer blowers with 2 small solarpanels and thermal switches on both of them. I suggest those thermal switches if you might have shadows nearby your collector. You might not want them to run if your collector is cold.
My switches kick in about 30C degrees.
Right now my plans are building about 30watt solar panel for bigger blowers to gain the amount of heat.

If you're not familiar with GaryGary's website i suggest that you go there and see what other people have done.

I wish you luck and hope that you'll enjoy your project.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the curve.  Instead put a flat mirror on each side to fold back the light that misses the last row of cans.  Much easier.

Cheaper yet:  Just a flat piece of metal painted black to absorb the light that enters the face but misses the last row of cans.  (The tiny fraction that's not absorbed will mostly specular-reflect as if the plate were a mirror and be directed toward the last row of cans for a second try at absorbtion.)   Maybe tilt it slightly so there is space at the back for air circulation between it and the side of the frame:

]\oooooooo/[

don1

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
I'd like to throw my two cents into the pot,

When the sun is on the collector having the double glass will likely have little gain over a single glass.  About all the double pain will do is after the sun is gone it may take longer for the panel to cool off.  If you have a system with antifreeze or a drain back type it don't matter if it gets cold or not at night.  If you realy want the best use of materials you can take the double pain apart and use it to make a second pannel.
 Then you will have gain.
Well have fun and I hope you find what works best for you, Don.

naturalpessimist

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:12:03 AM »
The solar can heater will work - in fact, it's kind of hard to get most any solar air collector NOT to work
Should be a fun and interesting experience

FWIW. Been there, done that, and will never again attempt to separate double pane glass into 2 single pane sheets.
Double pane glass WILL, technically, hold the heat in longer, but the reality is very different than the theory
Rule #1; Heat always moves towards the cold, always
and when the sun goes down the Dbl Pane glass provides little value in the end
Just use the Sgl pane glass, and if looking to extend the hours of use, consider this;

My very best solar air heater was a simple open channel setup with unraveled steel wool spray painted black and laid throughout the channels
In fact, still using it to this day - keeps my unfinished basement nice and comfy
Under the steel wool I used a 1/2" copper pipe configuration with a back drain and filled with motor oil (regret the motor oil but not the setup)
The surface area of all that unraveled steel wool is IMMENSE, and the air flow sucks up every bit of it.
Plus, the filled copper pipe holds the heat far, far longer than the Dbl pane glass
and the result is I pump out warm air long after the sun goes down

MaxtorD

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »
naturalpessimist, 
     So the filled copper pipe is there to act as thermal mass?  What would you suggest instead of motor oil?   Perhaps mineral oil?

-=MD=-

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:20 AM »
1973 or thereabouts, I caught an DIY solar article in either Pop Mechanics or Pop Science.

The design was simple - 3 sheets of 8' x 4' plywood assembled into a simple, triangular box. Aluminum beverage cans were also used, but in this project, they were cut in half and the bottom halve 'cups' were then stacked with the can opening outwards (facing the sun) - all painted black of course.  Two openings - one approx 3" x 6" in one of the lower corners, and the second opening kitty-corner near the top.

The unit was then filled with golf ball sized stones. This was dry storage for the heated air.

Two fans - one circulated air between the can-filled collector, and a second fan pulled the heated air from the storage into the house - all thermostatically controlled. In the article, they piped the heated air into the existing forced air system in the house.

IIRC, the designer/owner claimed upwards of a 50% reduction in his winter heating bill.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:26:59 AM by MagicValleyHPV »

waqas123

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Apologies for late reply, hace been very busy so had no time to start.

Ive got 62 cans collected, drilled and washed. Need another 60 or so cans but here are a few pics in the meantime:

I applied silicon on the inside rim and then placed the other can on top, hoping this will keep them glued.

ginger48

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
1973 or thereabouts, I caught an DIY solar article in either Pop Mechanics or Pop Science.

The design was simple - 3 sheets of 8' x 4' plywood assembled into a simple, triangular box. Aluminum beverage cans were also used, but in this project, they were cut in half and the bottom halve 'cups' were then stacked with the can opening outwards (facing the sun) - all painted black of course.  Two openings - one approx 3" x 6" in one of the lower corners, and the second opening kitty-corner near the top.

The unit was then filled with golf ball sized stones. This was dry storage for the heated air.

Two fans - one circulated air between the can-filled collector, and a second fan pulled the heated air from the storage into the house - all thermostatically controlled. In the article, they piped the heated air into the existing forced air system in the house.

IIRC, the designer/owner claimed upwards of a 50% reduction in his winter heating bill.

Do a Google search on “International Solarthermics” and “John Keyes”. See February 1975 issue
of Popular Mechanics. It's available online.

waqas123

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
Just had a look at some glass panels, I cant find one long enought but have seen two piece that will fit nicely. Will it be ok to use them and make a tight seal using silicon so no heat is waisted.

Thanks.

waqas123

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 05:34:57 AM »
Well guys, could I use 2 separate pieces or is that not going to be efficient?

rossw

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »
Well guys, could I use 2 separate pieces or is that not going to be efficient?

Honestly, if you can mount them solidly, and join them so they're airtight and watertight, and keep them like that over the seasons, the loss in efficiency is going to be so small as to make no difference.