Author Topic: Help with dc motor  (Read 2735 times)

walkertongdee

Help with dc motor
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »
First post- I have built a wind generator, after five years of tinkering on and off I've yet to find a suitable DC motor. Three disappointments, not much of a scavenger I guess. Spins too fast with no load, took her down. Ain't ready for the big time axial flux league yet but would like to get some power to charge the laptop, ran the battery in the truck down too many times to count. Any ideas where to find a suitable DC motor? Yea I know about the four year old threads on amatek 30, now going for the fortune, I don't have. Any ideas how to find something? If someone has something usable or that I can repair in the corner of their shop I can send a money order, no credit card… Sean

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Help with dc motor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
Where are you?

I have a big (Huge!) pile of good stuff I am getting rid of.
Intend to have a virtual garage sale one of these days, if I ever get a chance to catalog it all.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

walkertongdee

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
wow, dident expect a reply so soon! I am in the Illinois farmland down from wisconsin.
I am expecting a  some cash in a couple of weeks, can we work something out by mail, I can send a certified money order.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »
Not to hijack this thread too much  ;D.
How's the Hoover craft boat building coming along?
The wooden model build with lawn mower motor looked fun to ride in.

Cheers
Bruce S
G- You have any of those ECMs left? that would be a good start.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
ECM is one of the big piles that gotta go!  Lets just say if it totals over 100 counting the mini-ECMs, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
The sad part is most are new, and I paid good money for most of them (even the used ones).

The pile of Ameteks / Indianas is way too big too.  A couple/few dozen kicking around.

Follow the controller link at the bottom of my posts for my email address, or PM me.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

walkertongdee

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »

Cheers
Bruce S

Are you talking to me I build hovers and boats in Thailand and Illinois, confused..

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »

Cheers
Bruce S

Are you talking to me I build hovers and boats in Thailand and Illinois, confused..
Yes I was sorry for the confusion, nice write up and pics on the hover boat project build in Thai.

Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

walkertongdee

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »

Cheers
Bruce S

Yes I was sorry for the confusion, nice write up and pics on the hover boat project build in Thai.

Bruce S

Thanks,

Building boats and hovers is fun. I wanted to make a mini wind gen to charge my camera battery in the jungle to be mounted on the boat; the wind from the boats motion charges the battery. Couldn't get that done, the printer motor had too small a shaft and needed gearing. Actually they need mini wind gens here to in Thailand to charge cell phones of all things where there is no grid. I was hoping to develop something they could make for themselves as well. I made the props for that hovercraft; did you know there are patterns and directions to cut props in the hovercraft community? See www.hovercraft.com.  CNC copying of blades is a great Idea as well for aerodynamic wood props. A CNC wood machine is inexpensive. Heading for Illinois on Sunday, I got the blades, hub and other parts for my new gen in my luggage. Hope the economy is better, got a job lined up in plumbing. Hope to get an Amatek motor from Gurd if it works out. I need something to reasonably maintain one 12 v car battery. I don't use power much except for charging the laptop. I am off grid can't save to return to Thailand with  rent at $600. per month…
Enjoying the forum,

Thai Sean

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
look for used treadmills at thrift stores and yard sales. I got a 90v dc pm motor out of one for $10. I asked at a thrift store if they had any in back they had one without a key that they gave me for free. It had a 90v dc motor in it but it wasn't PM.  Also check craigslist.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~