Author Topic: Coastal Wind Characteristics  (Read 7588 times)

KBwind

Re: Coastal Wind Characteristics
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »
I add the extra turns because I use a larger airgap. I have found with all the sand blowing around that the alt can seize with tight airgaps and if we have a few days without enough wind. I also have a 250 ft cable run to the battery bank so I account for that with the extra turns as well.
Seeing these Ideas for the wave generators has gotten me excited. I think I've got an idea for the turbine that will work with air pressure from both directions. I'm not exactly sure how to calculate the power in pressurized air through an area though. My first though would be using conservation of flow equation (not sure if that's what it's called). A1v1=A2v2

jlt

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 02:23:22 AM »
I just looked at Altons  blade calculator and it shows the 7ft blades should be spinning about 350 rpm in a 6mps wind . if It isn't going that fast it is stalling. maybe you have the blades on backwards. The flat side should face the wind.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 12:12:51 PM »
I add the extra turns because I use a larger airgap. I have found with all the sand blowing around that the alt can seize with tight airgaps and if we have a few days without enough wind. I also have a 250 ft cable run to the battery bank so I account for that with the extra turns as well.
Seeing these Ideas for the wave generators has gotten me excited. I think I've got an idea for the turbine that will work with air pressure from both directions. I'm not exactly sure how to calculate the power in pressurized air through an area though. My first though would be using conservation of flow equation (not sure if that's what it's called). A1v1=A2v2

You will need enormous air gaps to reduce the field from neo to that of ceramic so I also suspect you have far too many turns. Similarly the cable run won't affect cut in speed but you may need some extra turns to stop the prop having to run too fast.

Try the prop with no leads connected to the alternator and it should spin up quickly and probably start whistling. Then connect the leads and see what happens to the speed. if it reduces about 50% then that would be reasonable but if it drops right down to a crawl then you are stalled. If the prop won't get up to speed in a 4m's wind with no connections then you have a winding fault , bearing problems or blade problems.

Did you actually check the volts by hand cranking or something? I suspect you may find it works with a 24v or 36 v battery much better than with 12 with those turns.

Flux

KBwind

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.
Jlt - thank you for saving me from a lot of headaches. After double checking I think I may have the wrong side facing the wind. I am still a little confused though. Well first I uploaded a tiny little video of the turbine spinning in about 4 m/s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO4IR-_bDas&feature=youtu.be  I guess its rather clear in this video something is amiss -
I have been checking the otherpower guide for 10' diameter turbine blades. One thing I need clarified - in the image labeled "carving the back of the blades" which should be facing the wind the top of the displayed profile or the bottom? Clearly I have a lot of work to do.

Flux - could you please elaborate on how the cable run wouldn't affect the cut-in but I would need to add turns to keep it from running too fast. - Much appreciated - I'm learning a lot!

Watt

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
Yes, that is slow for sure.  Have you tried turning the mill by hand to see if you have resistance? From what I can tell, the blades look to be installed correctly but heck, I don't have my glasses to really see it well.  Hmmm... wonder what I just typed. J/K

KBwind

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
I spun it up by hand and it spun very freely. I think I cut the curf of the blade on the wrong side so it would be hard to tell from the video.

When I have the turbine down next week I will do a test hand crank of the voltage output from the alt. Mr. Claus brought me an optical tach so I can finally do away with those darn cyclocomputers!!

Watt

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »
Sounds like progress.  I was using the wind in the microphone and the tail moving to track the wind as a guide. 

Could you estimate the wind speed for that video?