Author Topic: Using inground swimming pool to cool house warm pool  (Read 14976 times)

HNTS

Using inground swimming pool to cool house warm pool
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
Does anyone have experience using water from an inground pool in an heat exchanger to cool house?  There are some references on the web but with few details, i imagine humidity from condensation on exchanger would be an issue.

Thanks for any insight.

HNTS

Re: Using inground swimming pool to cool house warm pool
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
Maybe I was not too specific..sorry, but I have a house in a very heavily shaded neighborhood in Northern Virginia outside of DC.  It came with a swimming pool that was put in about 30 years ago, and frankly a swimming pool was a poor idea.  It never gets direct sunlight on the northside of the house with shade, so rarely gets up to 72 f  (chilly for a pool) in the summer  and contains about 15,000 gal of water and because of the trees - it collects leaves, pollen, etc.  I would like not to use AC.  The house also has a very old (50 yr) 100 amp electrical service for the AC system through a 50 year old forced air system.  Because it can get quite hot in the summer I was thinking of adding a water/air heat exchanger into the plenum space of the furnace and split the pool filter outlet to put water through the exchanger then back into the pool and just turn the furnace blower on.   Theoretically this would warm the pool water, and cool the air in the house.  I have set up a stand alone PV bank on the south slope of the roof which can run the pool filter.

Problem
The T delta should be at least 10 f between the pool and the inside of an non air-conditioned house but since Washington area is very humid, I imagine that I would be blowing condensation off of the water/air heat exchanger -- essentially looks like an auto radiator -- through the ducts and growing mold.  I understand this is why AC systems and even the building systems use chillers to prevent this. 

So is the basic concept flawed?  There are a number of websites which add a pool into a geothermal loop for home heating and cooling, but they have no details except to contact them to buy systems.  This is much more DIY trying to look at what I could do to kill two birds with one stone (cold pool and hot house) and what I would do to not use AC. 

Thanks,

MaxtorD

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
I believe it would work for you.   I am not sure how efficient it would be.  Since you say there is debrees in the water then you would want to use a closed loop system.   Here is a link from a site that is all about conservation projects for the daily life. 
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Projects.htm
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Projects.htm

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
It would work but I doubt you'd ever achieve this:
This is much more DIY trying to look at what I could do to kill two birds with one stone (cold pool and hot house) and what I would do to not use AC.

You could certainly cut the use of your AC but... using only the pool for cooling the house with a correctly sized exchanger would most likely result in an uncomfortably hot pool for swimming (and I'm doing a WILD ball park guess here) by the end of June, middle of July?

You have a mean temp in June of 75°, 79° in July?  With those kinds of temps, even covering the pool during the day and uncovering it at night would probably not be enough?

How big is the house, how good is it insulated, how cool do you want to keep it?

Maybe read these threads:
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?topic=143881.0
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,130711.0.html

HNTS

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »
Dear all,
Thanks for the comments..i needed a reality check. Most of the fun is in the planning..  I still may may experiment, but wont have unrealistic expectations.

The debris is filtered out by the system so it would be a " clean system". I would need to go back and look at some HVAC engineering to properly size it.  I was thinking of the heat exchangers designed for the outside wood stove systems and could be fit into the plenum spave of my ancient forced air furnace.

I think my ultimate answer is to aim at  insulation, insulation, insulation And a good whole house fan.

Best

MetricCook

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »
HNTS, saw your request on the web, and had to reply, I am interested in this project, too. First, I would start with a smaller window unit. A whole house AC units are running all the time, might over heat the pool and is more costly to convert. Unless you add diverter valves for the second circuit for the pool, then you can switch between the two outside radiators.  Second, most-likely you will need to replace the outside radiator with a stainless steel unit and tubing. The current radiator will be made of copper or aluminum, you do not want any metals to react to the high chlorine pool water. Third, make a tank to insert the outside SS radiator, and plumb the tank to the pool, using the pools pumping system or separate pump. This pump would, of course, be on when ever the AC unit is running.

Love to hear the results!