Author Topic: SOLAR TRACKER, Totally Different, Totally Original, DIY  (Read 23640 times)

TrackerJack

SOLAR TRACKER, Totally Different, Totally Original, DIY
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »
This is a home made solar tracker that I built one day. This clip only shows it returning to the east after a day of tracking. I will show it tracking and explain how to build the tracking eye, which is different than anything else ever done. I will also explain how I built the hinge, and other componets, like how it resets itself. Other than two small parts used in making the tracking eye, you can get everything else from Home Depot and the scrap yard, which makes it cheap to build or repair. After tracking the sun all day. It parks itself until the sun goes down and then returns to the east to start over again.The main drive is a (mighty mule) gate opener. This is a prototype that needs little improvement. The only thing that could be improve is that it will not track on a heavy cloudy day. With this tracking eye configuration, if the sun stays covered in clouds more than two hours it will leave the tracker parked until the next day of sun. It will be possible to modify this to four or more hours. If in that time the sun peeks out, the tracker will run to catch up to the sun's position. It use little power and it takes only a 5 watt panel to keep the battery full. I'm using it to pump water with a 24 volt surflow pump. Next Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEa-sp-KXwA

dave ames

Re: SOLAR TRACKER, Totally Different, Totally Original, DIY
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »

Thanks for the look TJ,

Nice looking build :). Looking forward to seeing whats different and original. It runs nice and smooth at a good speed.

I don't trust that angle iron/actuator pivot arm though..lots of forces at that one point..compounded by the legnth of the arm. Could be a way to clamp that actuator body right to the pole?

Good stuff.

cheers, dave

TrackerJack

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
Has been running for about a year and has endured 65 mph Texas panhandle winds.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »
Nice design, actually rings close to what I was looking into, only I want to take it one step further.

Also going to be using an auxiliary panel to power the tracker, and an 'eye' design.

One thing that I've been toying with is to measure the ambient light of the entire sky, and compare it to the eye's level.

This is a multi-part problem, involving not only comparison of the two sensors, but also comparison of the ambient sensor to a fixed reference.

Also, there would be some hysteresis, in the form of a timer, to prevent nuisance hunting (read 'tracking battery drain').

This is of course above and beyond the 'XYZ' tracking ('typical') that would already be in place for tracking the disk across the sky.

The idea is simple, the solution not so much.

During a clear day, the ambient light sensor and incident light sensor would more or less agree, and this would keep the tracker in 'normal' mode, just following the disk.

When clouds appear and block the solar disk, both the ambient light sensor and incident light sensor would fall in value.

If this condition persists for long enough below a preset threshold, the tracker will tilt the panel and point it straight up to collect as much light as possible.

At this point, the incident sensor would no longer be pointing where the sun 'is', and so the controller will rely on the ambient sensor to indicate to the controller that the sun is once again visible (the two sensors will no longer agree).

If this condition persists long enough, the tracker heads back toward where the sun was, and then allows the eye to lock back onto the disk.

Only elevation overridden for actual movement; azimuth is disabled (to prevent hunting) while the tracker is in 'reach for the sky' mode.

Steve
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:37:25 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

dave ames

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 02:56:20 AM »

I don't trust that angle iron/actuator pivot arm though..

Has been running for about a year and has endured 65 mph Texas panhandle winds.

Cheers TJ,

a year of real world testing trumps arm chair speculation every time! glad to hear it's working out for you :)

always great to see some actual building going on..thanks again for sharing :D

it's all good fun, dave

defed

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
that looks nice.

i was pondering a tracker using old C-band mounts.  the one thing i was wondering is....this will be hard to explain....yours follows an arc as it turns, like a c-band dish does.  i was wondering if it would be better to maintain the angle the panels tilt to the sun and rotate the whole thing on the pole.

eg, if i have my panels set at 45 degree tilt, if i rotate on the pole, the bottom edge of the panels would always be parallel to the ground, maintaining the 45 degree tilt no matter what direction it faces.  on your mount, the tilt angle change (bottom of panels no longer parallel w/ the ground).  i'm not sure if it even matters that much, or if one would be better than the other...i can sort of see advantages to both...like different angles in morning and evening to better match lower sun angle.

would really like to see details of that eye.

TrackerJack

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
Mad, I tried to follow your thread on this subject, but afraid it's over my head. I love reading Flux and a bunch of you guys discussing subjects that leave me in the solar dust and hoping that I might some day be able to keep up. I have always been a ( point A, point B, straight line ) kind of thinker and ( less is more ) is good. This brings me to what I believe to be the most no nonsense way of tracking our star. As you know, anything you buy from a store that has the word solar in the name is spendy and it is hard to find a friendly neighborhood solar store to buy from. So with my design, other than the solar panels, there are to small pieces you may have to send off for.
I am going to attempt to load some pics. with explanations to explain what I've done. I taking pictures to day of the hinge that is very strong and would hold a lot of panels and other than the build to show how I have made it to reset it's self. I am saving the best part for last, mainly because I will be building another "eye" and can take pictures to explain. I have searched everywhere and I'm sure this design has never been thought of. 5 watts is enough power to keep battery charge because all that is needed is for one cycle of the gate opener in a 24 hour period.

The hinge is made from a trailer axle piece( tractor supply / $10 ) and a farm gate hinge ( $3 )

The pole and pieces ( scrap yard ) is what you see. very strong. I welded a 5in. piece of slightly smaller pipe into the top of main pole. This way I can fit the main hinge assemble onto it and turn to adjust for suns path.

This is how it resets itself. On the last track it flips a on/on switch, cutting of the eye circut and throwing it to a nightwatchman photo cell with a reverse polarity on the actuator. When dark it flips back the switch, stopping the return and activates the eye.

I have searched everything on the web to make sure that this has not been thought of before.
This really works. Simple design and allows your battery to remained charged on a 5 watt panel.
It consist of 1 black funnel ( $2.95 ) a #5 welders glass, round goggle ( $5 a pair ) an LED clearance marker lamp ( $2 ) 2 nightwatchman photo cells ( $40 apiece ) electric tape, fiberglass / bondo...

Only the # 5 welders glass will work. It is not to dark but will allow the eye to read the sun but not the ambient light.

This is the wiring. It simply reverses what the NW photo cell does. The best way to describe it is that you cut the funnel down until you reach the size of the welders glass and insert the glass with glue. It needs to be where no light is allowed to enter pass the glass. Be sure to take a piece of ruff sand paper and sand the inside of the funnel until it has a flat matted surface. Glue the small end over one of the eye of the photo cell.
To make a long story short is what you want to make happen is when the sun looks over into the funnel enough to see the eye it turns off the LED witch is staring into the eye of cell #2. Cell #2 thinks it's night and activates, turning on what every you have hooked to it, up to 10 amps. I think you can figure the rest out. I just wrap the whole thing in elec. tape and in case it into what every you have on the self. I like using a large pill bottle as a mold. This month Had only 4 cloudy days. The rest I tracked the sun. If you elongated the opening of the funnel I believe you could have clouds for most of the day and if it came out for 5 seconds it would run over to position.
The one I have now ( round ) I'm good for a couple of hours of clouds. Otherwise it sets until it see's s sun again.

Next project... Large array tracker for high wind.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:55:56 AM by TrackerJack »

Madscientist267

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »
If I understand this correctly, the eye strives to stay just ahead of the sun then, correct?

When the eye is dark, it doesn't move, but as the sun tracks ahead of the panel and into the funnel, it sets off the sensor and turns the actuator on until it is back out of the light?

Not bad really, considering. It's definitely original. Most tracking systems use at least two sensors, per axis, which technically this design does have two sensors on one axis, but they're not being used in the way it is traditionally done.

More or less what you've done with the two sensors and LED is created an optical NOT gate. Light makes dark and vice versa.

I'll give it this (even in just terms of design) - It's outside the box and gotta give you props for the thinking.

Bonus points awarded for survival for a year without enough misbehaving to make you want to rip it into a million pieces. That's where a lot of trackers ultimately meet their doom. The designer (or end user as the case may be) get sick of it's illogical antics and replace it with something else.

Sounds like you've gotten one 'out the gate' so to speak that works, keeps it simple, and stands the test of time. I can think of a few more direct methods that arrive at the same result (mainly because they're cheaper), but I hesitate to criticize this. My only thing about it is that those modules are 40 bucks a pop!  :o

What if I told you that you could do the exact same thing (for the next one, no point in changing this one), but for MUCH cheaper? ;)

Either way, nice job. ;)

Steve
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:31:36 PM by Madscientist267 »

TrackerJack

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 12:05:47 AM »

What if I told you that you could do the exact same thing (for the next one, no point in changing this one), but for MUCH cheaper? ;)

No, please do. Very very interested...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:10:01 AM by TrackerJack »

Harold in CR

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »

Same here. Very interested.

TrackerJack

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
As soon as I find time I will post another utube showing tracking movements.

If anyone Really has a way of tracking and retuning that is an improvement or can be done cheaper,

please let me know.

TrackerJack

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

Madscientist267

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
If youre comfortable with component level stuff like chips and the like, an equivalent circuit can be built for pretty cheap.

I'll mock one up and put it up here.

I'm going to use something similar for mine, so I might as well go ahead and draw it up to share it. ;)

Steve

Volvo farmer

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
That's a very inventive tracker you have designed, but if you really want cheap, Duane's Redrok trackers are still under $50 last time I checked.
Less bark, more wag.

TrackerJack

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
to quote mad (without enough misbehaving to make you want to rip it into a million pieces) that's redrok. If I could keep a battery.

TrackerJack

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
Mad, $30 isn't really enough savings to put up with to many circuts. I checked and mine has been working without flaw for close to a year and a half. It has also seen some bad ars weather. Still ticking

Madscientist267

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Oh believe me - there's no substitute for reliability.

Really, all the same parts (internally) would be used. It's just a matter of eliminating the middle man and unnecessary steps (the LED turning off the second night watchman, for example). That functionality can easily be provided with less (and cheaper) parts.

The design I'm proposing is very simple, and could be built on a 1.5 x 1.5 perfboard for example. It would be a direct replacement for the two watchmans and the LED. There's maybe a dozen (if that) parts total. But the cost savings would be significant. I'll work one up, and get it down to as few parts as physically possible and get back to you on it.

Your design clearly works, but wouldn't cost slashing be a nice bonus? ;)

Steve

TrackerJack

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
Mad... Let's do this thing.

Madscientist267

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:25 PM »
Just wanted to drop a quick line to let you know I haven't forgotten about this... Lots going on. :(

I have two designs in mind, each completely different from the other.

As soon as I have something worthwhile, I will put the schematics up.

Steve

TrackerJack

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:19 PM »
 ???

Madscientist267

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
Sorry for the delay, I have both designs in my head, but haven't had a chance to breadboard anything yet.

Part count is on the order of a half dozen or so parts for one of them.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do anything at all... I haven't forgotten you. I always leave this thread as 'unread' so that it's in my face to remind me. ;)

Steve

ibdilbert

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 03:05:24 AM »
Neat design.   Any reason you couldn't just use one night watchman with only a 12v relay to reverse the function?

adobejoe

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »
A BETTER WAY. Looking for comments. My array is diagonal mount with rotation by linear actuator on Time-Of-Day using Pic processor, battery charged by a separate 40 W panel. This system, 16 panels, 3.3KW is in NW Wyoming and we get 70+ winds. Looking for source of linear actuators 20-30 inch stroke. KISS design using fenceposts, and only what is necessary to support and rotate the panels. Show me a better way???

AdobeJoe

EDIT: Fixed the attachment for ya :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:44:37 AM by Bruce S »

Madscientist267

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 04:44:30 AM »
Key here is simple.

Nothing simple about a PIC.

However, that's a nice layout. A bit more involved though than whats being looked into here...

Steve

kotheinwin

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 05:08:21 AM »
Sorry for the delay, I have both designs in my head, but haven't had a chance to breadboard anything yet.

Part count is on the order of a half dozen or so parts for one of them.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do anything at all... I haven't forgotten you. I always leave this thread as 'unread' so that it's in my face to remind me. ;)

Steve

Steve and Tracker Jack

I am new here and I am building all Solars panel and Solar hot water and Wind turbine my self learning from online.Just for your information on You-tube using Sony timer remote and sun high and low point by hour, you can program so that your motor will work as different time. Solar panel  tracker don't need NW photo cells,as long as face to sun like five position only Sun tracker like disk for Energy engine need photo cell so they can have point of 2500 F*
 Thank you very much for all your posts.

Mg Win

Madscientist267

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 06:44:06 AM »
Ok, I got to thinking about this, and there's several (handfuls of?) individuals on here that might want to get the ball rolling quicker than I will be able to.

By simple, I mean this:

I have NOT had the time to breadboard this. It is untested.

The threshold pot and Rx should be (roughly) the same resistance as the CdS cell when exposed to full sunlight. The pot isn't critical, just go with the closest band. For example, if full sunlight reads 44K across the CdS, go with a 50K for the pot and a 47K for Rx. If it reads 26K, use a 25K pot and a 27K. And so on and so forth.

Should get you close enough to get it operational, then just dial it in. The CdS cell will likely still need shading to work properly (ie your #5 welders glass). I'm sure it won't need to be THAT dark, but experimentation is prudent. Typical polarized sunglass 'darkness' is probably all that is needed with the values chosen as described above. Once you have a combination of shading glass and pot setting that works, you're all set! ;)

If you want cheap and simple, it doesn't get much simpler than that, and probably not any cheaper either. I'd be willing to bet that the RTE switch is the most expensive component, wrangling a grand total for the entire thing at maybe 15 bucks on the counter. Less if you have a bountiful junkbox. ;D

Ok, maybe a bit more if you want to go all out and draw up a board, mask it off, and etch it... I'd just use perf board and call it a day, personally.

Solder points should not be critical with the exception of the 10uF cap - put it as close to pins 2 and 3 of the 7805 as possible. If you keep the leads short you shouldn't have any problems with oscillation or anything.

If there is any hunting or hesitation, lower the hysteresis resistor (270K in the schematic) to maybe 220K or 180K (if it's really bad). This will make it 'lock on' harder to a decision, helping to prevent the jitters. Keep in mind that it will affect sensitivity, so tweak this with due diligence. ;)

I don't mind answering any hypotheticals regarding this thing, but I'm busier than a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest, and haven't had time to do squat. As a result, it will be a while before I get the chance to build it for myself. :(

Enjoy!

Steve
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:54:10 AM by Madscientist267 »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »
Ok, I got to thinking about this, ...

I can tell you for certain that it will Not work.

And I can tell you I completely gave up on any tracking device based on LDR/CDS.
They may work in the desert, but even high humidity throws them far off what most people (like me) would expect.  Hazy or overcast conditions will have it spinning like a ballet dancer.

I made one with good potential, then jumper wires touched.  <Boom!>  Never got around to finding time for rebuilding it.  A few more parts than the circuit above, but all cheap and readily available parts.
Wanted to make a working model (model as in just the tracker).  Never quite figured out a cheap linear actuator for the model (because I pitched all my DC gear motors that would have been suitable).
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

David HK

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
To save you wasting precious time I have attached a URL for a LM 339 based sun tracker circuit.

I made this circuit up about four or five years ago and it has worked flawlessly since.

http://www.phoenixnavigation.com/ptbc/articles/PCB%20Wizard%20-%20SUN%20TRACKER.pdf

Regards,

David in Hong Kong

Seth7

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
A BETTER WAY. Looking for comments. My array is diagonal mount with rotation by linear actuator on Time-Of-Day using Pic processor, battery charged by a separate 40 W panel. This system, 16 panels, 3.3KW is in NW Wyoming and we get 70+ winds. Looking for source of linear actuators 20-30 inch stroke. KISS design using fenceposts, and only what is necessary to support and rotate the panels. Show me a better way???

AdobeJoe
(Attachment Link)

EDIT: Fixed the attachment for ya :)

What pic ...?

Did you write the code yourself?

How was time of day set?

rossw

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
I made this circuit up about four or five years ago and it has worked flawlessly since.

While it "should never happen", the way you have the two relays wired scares me silly.
If you have a contact weld, as soon as the other relay operates - you have a direct short.
Might I suggest that you run the "return home" relays from the normally-closed contacts on the "drive west" relay? It's just a small wiring change but it'd give a lot of extra safety incase of circuit, component or operator error :)

windy

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »
David HK,

Could I ask how far apart the photocells should be placed?

Thanks!
windy
I don't claim to be an electrical engineer. I just know enough to keep from getting electrocuted.

windy

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 11:02:02 PM »

While it "should never happen", the way you have the two relays wired scares me silly.
If you have a contact weld, as soon as the other relay operates - you have a direct short.
Might I suggest that you run the "return home" relays from the normally-closed contacts on the "drive west" relay? It's just a small wiring change but it'd give a lot of extra safety incase of circuit, component or operator error :)

rossw,

While I have to agree with you, there is a fuse in the 12 volt circuit that should blow in case of a short.

windy
I don't claim to be an electrical engineer. I just know enough to keep from getting electrocuted.

rossw

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
While I have to agree with you, there is a fuse

*HATE* blowing fuses too, especially when moving 2 wires would prevent it from ever happening.