Author Topic: 323 AH 24v Fork lift Battery Help  (Read 2686 times)

pipermic

323 AH 24v Fork lift Battery Help
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:11:38 PM »
Hi all
This is my First post
I am building a home solar power system and I was given a Century 24v 323 AH Fork Lift Battery built by Yuasa Industrial Division in 2001 it's weight is 320 kg ( just over 705 lbs ) and a 24v charger.
The history of this battery is really unknown? it was taken out of a fork lift and plated in storage some years ago wet. One of the cells lost it's cap and now is look's dry. I am not certain that it is completely dry, as battery is to heavy to shake around, the way to tell is by measuring how much liquid it takes to fill it up.
Witch brings me to my first question? Do I take the liquid out from the other cells and place it in the dry one, then top up all of them with new fresh acid or do I just fill the dry one up with new fresh acid and top up all the others with distilled water or acid . All of the rest are quite full still and I would allso like to Build a Battery Desulfator ( Pulse conditioning )  for this battery all the circuit I have found are for 12v battery's, could someone send me circuit or a link of a circuit for 24v or could I alter this one
LINK http://www.reuk.co.uk/Battery-Desulfation.htm so I could use it on this 24v battery,
                                                          Thank You Piper

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: 323 AH 24v Fork lift Battery Help
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 02:56:52 AM »
Neither i'd say. :)

As long it's pretty certain evaporation are the cause of the dryness of the cell (not spill), you should add only water.
Top up the rest of the cells with water.

The cell that was dry will probably need more charge/discharge cycles to wake up than the rest of the cells, and it's not certain it will recover, due to exposure of air to the plates. (If it recovers, it will probably not have the same capacity as the others... )

You could build 2 of those 12V desulfators and connect one on each half of the 24V bank. :) (I have no opinion on desulfators, so others might chime in. ;) I would try charging and discharging the bank several times to wake it up. :) )

Edit:
Get yourself a good meter to measure Specific Gravity (SG), and write down readings of each cell after each charge, And discharge... That way, you'll get a really good idea of the state of each cell. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:02:21 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: 323 AH 24v Fork lift Battery Help
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
I would add, be sure to add distilled water.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.