Author Topic: windblue 512 stator in a windblue 540 pma  (Read 2221 times)

fabieville

windblue 512 stator in a windblue 540 pma
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »
I have a windblue 540 that is very low on amps so i was wondering if i replace the 540 stator with the 512 stator if i would get a big improvement on the amount of amps it produces? Here is the link for the 512 stator:

http://www.windbluepower.com/Permanent_Magnet_Alternator_Wind_Blue_Motor_Wind_p/dc-512.htm

I am planning to design a gearing system for it using bicycle parts like chain/sprockets etc. Any idea as to what size/ratio I should use. Because the cutting speed is over 650 rpm much higher than the 540 that i have now using.
I have a 5 blade design, windynation 28" hyperspin blades. Should i change these or use 3 instead of the 5?

I am anxiously waiting on your comments/ideas.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: windblue 512 stator in a windblue 540 pma
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
A windblue is still a windblue.

The 540 makes volts and no amps.
The 512 makes amps and no volts.

Might find it can do something with a 3:1 and those blades.

A windblue is still a windblue.
Seems like spending more money to try to make it work is not a great idea.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
Yes I think your 512 stator would be an improvement but so much depends on blades and other factors such as your wind speed.

Car alternators are inherently useless for wind power, they run too fast and the wound field takes most of the power. People try to adapt them by increasing the number of turns and reduce cut in speed. They also replace the wound field with a permanent magnet to get rid of the field loss.

What you end up with is something that is not totally useless but is far from good. The more turns and the slower the winding the less the current it can produce. Your 540 stator has too many turns and the cut in is too low for the size of prop the thing can support, it limits at very low current.

The other stator is probably too fast for the prop you have and you will have to use gears to get the speed up. If you can double the speed then you may be in a region where it will work on a good wind site. I suspect it will not do anything in low winds as the drag from the iron loss and the speed increase will prevent it starting in any reasonable low wind.

I have no idea of your prop but most are bits of bent metal with questionable performance. The combination of a poor prop and poor alternator doesn't leave you with much hope.

There has been discussion on similar things here recently. I think you could improve your 540 stator by reconnecting it for IRP with bridge rectifiers in parallel. You may also be able to reconnect the 512 stator to IRP with the bridges in series with capacitors across them.

Either way may in fact give a better result than the speed increase gearing in low wind areas. I suspect the gearing with the standard 512 stator will work better in high winds.

Sorry to be so negative about all this but don't believe all the things you find on websites, many of these expensive alternators and blades are not capable of the sort of performance they claim. You can do wonders in a 60mph wind but on the average site they are little more than ornaments.

Flux

adaml

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
As Flux eloquently put it, don't believe all you read. 
IRP will help but not much.  Its not a dead duck but a lame squib.  If your dead set; my experience has led me to believe you will need good, fast blades but don't expect it to put much out.  (stick the Windblue on a lawnmower motor, or similar, and use that way?)
Advice - spend your cash on something else other than another stator, my opinion.
Refer back to G-'s earlier post.....
Also, apologies if this sounds somewhat negative.
Honest, honest opinion?? Cut you loses now, look for an easy starter conversion project, possibly something like an ECM.  Search the board.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:43 AM »
Gosh Adam, what is your honest opinion of "bits of bent metal with questionable performance" blades?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller