Author Topic: batteries  (Read 2633 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
batteries
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
Did anyone here go to the battery conference in Florida. If they did is there any new information on NIB. I am going to get batteries in the spring and are wondering which ones to get. The prices are going up on everything and I need a good set to last me about 10 to 12 years full time then only part time after that. Micro hydro and solar charging system. No wind.
MntMnROY 13

PeterDe

Re: batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:04:09 AM »
thirteen.

Yes I was at the Battcon conference and was a "backup" presenter, but did not present the paper on the Thomas Edison Ni-Fe batteries that I have been experimenting with.  They did include the paper in the proceedings and it will soon be posted on the Battcon web site and will be under "archive papers".  Title of the paper is Thomas Edison had it right.  To sum it up, the old Thomas Edison cells are all over 80 years old now, and still functioning, even though at a reduced rate of discharge.  Also at the trade show was ChangHong battery and I had a very good discussion with them about their products.

Once you have read the paper, if you have soem questions please let me know and I will answer what I can.

Also of interest to me, and I intend to see if I can get my hands on some of them to test to destruction (if possible) is a bi-polar battery, which in theory is a much more energy dense lead acid battery with pretty extreme cycling capabilities.  Of course I hold judgement until I better understand them.

If you would like more info on the ChangHong Ni-Fe batteries please let me know and I will send along what I can help with.  If you are in Canada the person to talk with on their batteries is Ian Sauter which has posted on this site before.  If you need his contact info just let me know.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »
I am in  the USA and am going to put a system together next year. A duel charging system both hydro and solar. I don't have enough of either one for a year round supply of power. I would like some more information on the ChangHong battery. What I am looking for is a battery that will not break down because there will be about 4 months out of each year that they will not be watched. It is an isolated property 60 a. in the mountains. The Ni-Fe batteries look like they would withstand that type of abuse. I will gladly take information on the ChangHong Ni=Fi batteries. I live in Montana, USA my email is    mtrcfritz@hotmail.com  Thanks for the responce.
MntMnROY 13

Rabrsniver

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:28 PM »
Peter,

I just read your paper from Battcom. Very interesting. I too have some old Edisons which I told you about earlier. I also have some newer Chinese NiFes, but they are not from Changhong.

I also have a few from Kursk. I too have contacted them with no useful response.

I have been trying to locate KOH and LIOH so I can replace the electrolyte. KOH doesn't seem to be too hard to acquire, but I'm having no luck obtaining LIOH.

Do you know of any companies that will sell to "individuals?" Every time I locate a company that carries LIOH, they make some noise about only being able to sell to "qualified" companies.

I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Thanks,
John

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
You might try a scuba/dive shop. You may have to go with someone certified to use a rebreather. LiOH is used to scrub CO2.

They may have to account for sales to someone, so a person with certs would need to be there.

It's also used to straighten hair (relaxer). You might be able to buy a solution of it made by Johnson Chemicals if you know someone who runs a hair salon in the 'hood.