Author Topic: new video  (Read 6391 times)

greenkarson

new video
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
Shot this video of my 100 w aquair turbine. Turbine has been underwater for almost three years under ice and under heavy spring runoffs.          http://youtu.be/lO57CGxQFp8

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
Re: new video
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
Cool.  Is that evidence of cavitation on the blades, the bubbles coming off at the discharge, or is it just air sucked in the wire hole?

Glad to see it working

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Harold in CR

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »

That's pretty slick. Do you have much trouble with debris needing to be cleared away from the intake, or, a stick jamming the prop ??

Nice job.  8) 8)

southline

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:55:40 AM »
Just wondering.. its rated at 100 watts, is that what it is producing?  This is very similar to the creek that I have.  Great setup.. Now I have more ideas to think about.

Adam 

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »
the bubbles are being sucked in at the access hatch seams. If he where to seal them he'd gain effiency as that is robbing him of his suction head, but other then that they wond do much damage. Cavitation would be indicated if the bubbles where forming a spiral patern at the blade tips making sort of a vortex that disapeared within inteches behind the blade like this:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpklBS3s7iU

Edit:
When I say within inches of the blade I am refering to his aplication as you can see in high volocity apps whith the screw being driven the vortex extends a couple feet!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:18:31 PM by XeonPony »
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

greenkarson

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
Sorry been so long replying been crazy busy.
 If you watch the video carefully you can see the bubbles going by the camera and entering the pipe.  The water level in the creek really varies and when it starts to get lower a little air "tornado" forms at the intake of the pipe and this is where the air is coming from in this video.  There may be a little coming from the hatch. but not a whole lot.
    All that being said.  It does not really make much of a difference. When the water in the creek is at the top of the dam like it is in the video the turbine is at the full 100watts
And yes it does produce a full 100watts.  Its a 24v model but i blew my 24v 1500watt inverter so i switched my battery's around to 12 volt and am using a cheep 12v  1000watt inverter.  I know I'm throwing away a lot of power but i can't find a affordable (in my wife opinion) 24v inverter.
  About the Debre yes some times if I'm not there for a month the bars will clog with sticks and leaves but the never seem to plug in the pipe just on the bars so its pretty easy to clean.  The fall is when its worse the to weeks or so when the leaves fall off the trees in mass.   I've seen the top of the creek totally covered for 50 feet up stream from the dam.

karson

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »
Energy-alternitives[dot]ca is a small company in Canada that has good prices for inverters, not sure if they will have what you are looking for but that's where I get most my gear, good customer service too.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

WoodWaterWheel

• New Turbine
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
How many watts are you getting?           Check out  http://www.newturbine.citymax.com/catalog/item/8135014/8812932.htm    to see my new turbine which at 2' head will make 88 watts and over 1500 watts at higher heads.
Winners Never Quit.   Quitters Never Win.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:13 AM »
How many watts are you getting?           Check out  http://www.newturbine.citymax.com/catalog/item/8135014/8812932.htm    to see my new turbine which at 2' head will make 88 watts and over 1500 watts at higher heads. (Attachment Link)
WoodWaterWheel;
That is still a nice pic of the unit you build, but do you have any of it in place and working? Those would be nice to see as well.
Cheers;
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

WoodWaterWheel

• New Turbine
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »
Bruce,      This is a new design and while the prototypes have been tested @ 3 sites the only pics are cell phone pictures and 1 short U Yube video.        I've currently got 3 people installing these turbines so hopefully I'll get a few pictures and comnmets from them.
Spencer
Winners Never Quit.   Quitters Never Win.

BillBlake

Re: new video - (Underwater 100)
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:25:41 AM »
Shot this video of my 100 w aquair turbine. Turbine has been underwater for almost three years under ice and under heavy spring runoffs.          http://youtu.be/lO57CGxQFp8

I like that AMPair Underwater 100 because it is so heavy duty compared to the Aquair 100.
Plus filled with mineral oil. Wrote to England because I wanted the propeller shaft diameter
but they wouldn't answer me. Couldn't find it in the drawings. I asked them if they spoke
English with a smiley face but evidently they didn't think it was cunnin like I did. :o
So I called my man up in Alaska
(the Ampair / Aquair dealer there) because I knew they had some old Survivalists up there that
were into 'Portable Heavy Metal' / AKA / RDU's (Rapid Deployment Units).
He had me call their location in WA where they had a unit handy. Sure enough a 17 mm shaft.

That opened up all kinds of possibilities to fab up a carriage and to be able to switch it over to
a Robust (as in Nickel Iron) AIR unit - if wanted. Then back to Hydro at any time.
I had a lot of everything that I would need for the project in stock from building some
jive turkey air turbines just for fun. Some things happened and I never did it.
If I do one last Wind project it will be a revolutionary el-cheapo Gear-up unit that
utilizes cheap DC motorS as generators. I had a P/T business selling such stuff and kept
a nice collection of - you name it.

http://www.ampair(DOTcom)/downloads/UW_100_manual_rev_Feb_2007.pdf

Bill Blake

P.S. To avoid confusion they simply started to call it 'The Underwater 100'.

It's a little Battle Unit is what it is. Some guy in Seattle had one on CraigsList that he was
asking $600 for.
Don't know what he actually took. The guy didn't even bother with a dollar can of blue
spray paint. It was kind of funny.