Author Topic: MREA Energy Fair - Great time  (Read 4717 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
MREA Energy Fair - Great time
« on: June 21, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
I just returned from the MREA Energy Fair in Custer Wisconsin and what a great time it was. I met up with the Other Power gang Dan B, Dan F, George, Dan's daughter Mia and many others including Mick Sagrillo (founder of the MREA and THE small wind guru) Roy Butler of Four Winds, Electronbaby and Half Crazy from here on the board. There were many more I'm forgetting at the moment but it sure was great to put a face to a name and what a great group, thanks to all for such a super time at the fair. I brought home a few things that I'll be updating on besides. Here's a few photos, the MREA does this show right for sure.  Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: MREA Energy Fair - Great time
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »
Hey DaveB!!

I wish my travels were in that area of the US, I would love to stop by and meet up at the MREA Energy Fair.

Its great to see those pictures, thanks for posting.

JW

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
Too bad these organizations are just a joke, they do nothing about the fact that more and more local units of government are regulating residential wind out of existence, when you ask for help you get ignored, what we need in this country is an activist organization to actively fight for the right to residential wind power, not bunch of touchy feely wiz bang demonstrations
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:52:56 AM »
The fair exceeded my expectations and it was great to be a part of it. It sure did wake up the sleepy area of Custer, I think it's an area normally populated by a few hundred. Just a very enjoyable experience.  Dave B.

Hey DaveB!!

I wish my travels were in that area of the US, I would love to stop by and meet up at the MREA Energy Fair.

Its great to see those pictures, thanks for posting.

JW

DCB Energy Systems

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Grass roots starts with one person....
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »
Too bad these organizations are just a joke, they do nothing about the fact that more and more local units of government are regulating residential wind out of existence, when you ask for help you get ignored, what we need in this country is an activist organization to actively fight for the right to residential wind power, not bunch of touchy feely wiz bang demonstrations

Fab;

Here is your chance to get in on the ground floor. Start your own anti anti wind organisation.

Or not.

It all starts with someone. I just know its not me.

Tom

halfcrazy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:08 AM »

Actually it is quite the opposite. The people of the Small wind industry do fight the local government issues. The guy in the pictures there Roy Butler would spend time with anyone that needed help with local government as I suspect Mick would as well. The general theme of the small wind conference this year was just that Local government and what the organizations can help individuals do to educate the local government. There is a new group called DWEA and it is all local installers and they truly did seem to have a very large concern about tackling local government.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Well I hope it happens, local governments, county and township are as clueless as possible about the realities of small wind, but they consider themselves educated enough to write new ordinances.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

halfcrazy

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »
Well I hope it happens, local governments, county and township are as clueless as possible about the realities of small wind, but they consider themselves educated enough to write new ordinances.

Absolutely... The question was asked at the small wind conference "What is the biggest road block in the small wind industry" the answer almost unanimously was "Local Government". Simply put we need to organize and educate the officials every little podunk town like mine has to feel big and have some stupid ordinance. A couple towns over from me they have an ordinance saying the turbine can not be visible from any public right of way  ??? It has to be fun to be so clueless as some of these local officials appear to be.

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »
Dave - thanks for posting!  I didn't get many pics of it all and I'm a bit off the hook now for posting about this.

Fabricator - yes, you have it wrong.  MREA has done a great deal to move small wind, solar etc.... foward and they just put on a fantastic fair which only generates more interest in it - plus, it brings together a lot of like minded people.  The small wind conference was also excellent and I only see things moving forward.  Local government (or any government for that matter) is full of 'legislators' who... don't know *much* about a lot of the issues they face - it's our job to educate them, and that's half of what the small wind conference is actually about.  It's easy to bitch about government - it's a bit of work to actually do something about it though.  Seems like you've been making some progress but we have to be involved and events like this really do move things forward.

Overall... had a great time.  Loads of neat folks, good beer, excellent food and good music in the evenings.  I'm still recooping ~ trying to unload the car which is full of wet tents and laundry (we camped for 8 straight days).

My huge bonus at this fair was the silent auction....  scored 2 old Trace SW5548's for a total of $600!  Should be able to turn my welder up all the way now!!!

In the picture is my daughter... she should make a pretty good tower climber, she's about 30' up a 4" pipe that's supporting a huge tent....

and to quote Jenny H... 'what happens at the energy fair stays at the energy fair' ;-)
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

dloefffler

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
Missed the fair, missed all of you :(

Just spoke with zoning for my township, lucky. Conditional Use Permit at this time about $450, probably no issue as I am approx a mile from neighbors. Commissioner extremely helpful, wish it were so with all of you.

Very windy site in SE MN, if I ever get mine done should be interesting. Work interferes with my physical and intellectual development.

Custer is marvelous, Clancy's bar is terrific, Rudy's in the Holiday Inn Convention center has good music many Friday evenings. Really missed the fair, the pictures look like great times.

Dennis

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
It has to be fun to be so clueless as some of these local officials appear to be.

I like to refer to it as "mercifully untouched by the ravages of intelligence"

admin

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Hello Fabricator.

I realize that the horrendous climate and trashed economy in Michigan tends to make people live under rocks and become grouchy, but you really should pay more attention to the small wind industry. Didn't see you at the Small Wind Conference. Nor the other conferences around the country over the last few months.

There are numerous activist organizations lobbying for exactly what you want, and none of them are "jokes."

Quit whining and get involved. The problem is that small wind tower regulations vary by municipality and county. If you want to get anything done, start there.

You are calling our classes "touchy feely whiz bang demonstrations?" Have you ever attended one?

ADMIN

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »
Hello Fabricator.

I realize that the horrendous climate and trashed economy in Michigan tends to make people live under rocks and become grouchy, but you really should pay more attention to the small wind industry. Didn't see you at the Small Wind Conference. Nor the other conferences around the country over the last few months.

There are numerous activist organizations lobbying for exactly what you want, and none of them are "jokes."

Quit whining and get involved. The problem is that small wind tower regulations vary by municipality and county. If you want to get anything done, start there.

You are calling our classes "touchy feely whiz bang demonstrations?" Have you ever attended one?

ADMIN

The only thing I see is more and more local units of government putting de facto bans on residential wind into effect, no matter how you spin it THAT is a fact and I sure as hell don't see any local units of government suddenly seeing the light and enacting realistic ordinances, no matter how you spin it is bad and getting worse by the month.
You can have all the energy fairs you want and the bottom line is local units of government don't give a crap, they want their share in permits and inspections and that is all they care about.

admin

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
Yo Fab;

Yes, what you speak is true regarding small wind and local AHJs. (Authorities Having Jurisdiction)

But the reason we have building codes and electrical codes and fire codes and such is..........dumbasses. Most of the folks HERE on fieldines do not qualify as such. Which is a great relief and makes reading this board fun.

To Wit:

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14968765

And live on TV too: http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14968765#

This is why "they" are trying to regulate small wind out of existence.

So, what *is* the solution? Damned if I know. Everyone's input appreciated.

ADMIN

(addendum)
~Is that one-inch pipe for the tower? Geez. Dumb.
~Setbacks suck, but there is a reason for them. See photo.
~ Is this wind turbine owner person off grid in the city, or is he/she using a sketchy Chinese grid-tie "wind" inverter from EBay plugged into a wall outlet? I'll bet five bucks it's Ebay.
~ What does the wind turbine owners homeowners insurance company think about this?
~ Homeowners insurance company of the neighbor upon whose roof this thing collapsed onto is probably already thinking about many things. Most of these thoughts really suck as far as the neighbors that put up that turbine -- and suck by large orders of magnitude for all of us, small wind power, homebrew, and AHJs.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:59:13 PM by admin »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 04:01:21 AM »
Dave B,
 Great pics really does look like fun and informative. Nothing beats hands on!!

The other parts of this post that deals with government.

Actually given this website and others, even the larger cities and towns are beginning to listen. There are now two windmills (much too low to do any real work, but it a start)
located in backyards here in St. Louis and even visible from I64. The area is  a fast drive , but will attempt to get pics. Even I was surprised by them.

While historically, government has been resistant to allowing these, informative debates are changing even their stances.
SO it is no longer true that government is NOT listening.
Just the way I see it from here.
Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »

To Wit:

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=14968765

So, what *is* the solution? Damned if I know. Everyone's input appreciated.

They could start with buying a tape measure!

"The 25' turbine... "
Doesn't look quite that big in the photo.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »
That would be something new, the news media, reporting actual factual information, like when they arrest some poor slob and he's got a .22 rifle and a thousand rounds for it, the breathless news person reports the cops arrested gun nut with a veritable armory in his house.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »
With due respect to ALL;
 Let us pull this conversation BACK to what the OP had in mind?
Thanks for your continued understanding
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

halfcrazy

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
With due respect to ALL;
 Let us pull this conversation BACK to what the OP had in mind?
Thanks for your continued understanding
Bruce S

Absolutely. The Energy Fair is a lot of fun and I learn something every year. I can not believe how big Dan's daughter got in a years time and by the looks Dan does not need tilt towers any more ;D. As always it is to short but a ton of fun.

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
Thanks for bringing this back on track. Here's a few more photos of machines at the fair, some familiar to me some not. The shot from the parking lot looked the same 360 degrees. It gives you a little idea of the interest this fair generates.  Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems