Author Topic: F.W. Bell Model 9500 Gaussmeter with Axial Probe  (Read 5402 times)

jaysicle

F.W. Bell Model 9500 Gaussmeter with Axial Probe
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:52:07 AM »
Hello,

I thought I would offer this to you guys, before putting it up on E-bay.

It is an F.W. Bell Model 9500 Gaussmeter with an SAF99-1802 axial probe for sale.
I know the device value including the probe but will take ~ a weeks worth of offers here first.
It will be overpacked inner/outer and very well protected. 

Marble cake is hard on the teeth.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: F.W. Bell Model 9500 Gaussmeter with Axial Probe
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:03:47 PM »
$3k used, without a parallel port on eBay. That's way out of my price range. That's not a hobby tool.

jaysicle

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
Hello,

Some additional information...

The first photo should be this one... which shows the unit as it is just powering on.

dnix71 - There are and have been others on ebay listed at ~$1,400 in fine working condition.
The units you have mentioned have not moved in months. I believe the pricepoint is key.

Since you have not identified your price range (for this unit) on the post, - or by PM I cannot comment on that.

If wood and metal lathes, welding rigs and tractors are hobby tools; then scopes, Good Fluke DMMs, and this device are hobby tools.

+++++++++++

Hope this helps everyone.

+++++++++++

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
I would love to have a good oscilloscope but it wouldn't be used enough to justify the price. Same with a professional instrument like this. I wouldn't feel right owning something like that and not using it regular.

If Tom or one of the guys who does workshops here thinks it would be useful and wants a donation to buy it for the group, then speak up.

This gaussmeter looks like it was made to verify the strength of magnets in manufacture. It could also be made to verify the strength and shape of the field around a windmill coil.

I have lots of hand and power tools that see regular use. Those I "collect" knowing they will be used.

jaysicle

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »
I would love to have a good oscilloscope but it wouldn't be used enough to justify the price. Same with a professional instrument like this. I wouldn't feel right owning something like that and not using it regular.

If Tom or one of the guys who does workshops here thinks it would be useful and wants a donation to buy it for the group, then speak up.

I understand your first comment and agree. I also think that there are a lot of people here that "deserve" access to this type of gear, and would benefit from the occasional use - I genuinely wish that it were possible. If just to check empirical vs. maths etc.. Some type of time share briefly crossed my mind, - but after a while shipping would no doubt take its toll.

Used for group education would be ideal - covering good and right. No one is benefitting from its capability right now.

I would rather it ended up here somewhere, that is why I posted it.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
PM Tom or GHurd and see if they are interested in a group purchase and tell them how much you want. There are regular windmill construction workshops held by members here.

http://www.fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,138249.html  is one held a few years ago.