Author Topic: TESTING SOLAR PANEL OUTPUT  (Read 6800 times)

Yianie123.

TESTING SOLAR PANEL OUTPUT
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
Hello, its been awhile since I last wrote, please forgive me.  I just installed 7 REC 220W solar panels with ENPHASE grid tie inverters for each panel.  I would like to confirm that I am getting all the power I should be getting.   I know I can purchase an enphase unit to tie into the solar panels that will give me monitoring for each solar panel, but that is $300 to $500 for the newer model.  I just want to test them once, really do not need to monitor them, so I am hesitant to spend the money.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: TESTING SOLAR PANEL OUTPUT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »
A clip on ac ammeter would measure the output from the Enphase to the grid if you can get to where the wires are. I assume the Enphase units are in series.

Yianie123.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
Thank you for your input.  I think that would give me Amps, but what about the volts?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
Volts is whatever the grid is, maybe a few higher.  If the Enphase units backfeed the US grid it's 120v, use that. If you are in Europe, then it's 220v for single phase.

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »
I just installed 7 REC 220W solar panels with ENPHASE grid tie inverters for each panel. I would like to confirm that I am getting all the power I should be getting.

Why don't you just turn on enough appliances that would use the theoretical 1540 watts coming from the solar and monitor your house meter ???

Yianie123.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
I understand know, I was originally thinking of testing the DC side, but you are correct, the AC side (after the inverter) will be 220V or 110 per pole.  With all the variables, panel angle, clouds, time of day, the best I can hope for is equal output from all the inverters.

The main breaker has to be on for the inverters to work.  I do not think testing with a known device input will work.

Thanks eveyrone.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
They have to be in operation to test. If you aren't backfeeding the grid, the inverters simply idle and wait. With a clip on ammeter, you don't need to touch any wires.

mathelm

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Oldish thread I know, but could he use a kill a watt meter between the inverts and the panel?

Also, the cheapest way would be to pickup a meter box off of ebay......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICON-Electric-240v-WATTHOUR-METER-200amp-CAN-BOX-/180951609502?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item2a218e709e

Yianie123.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
There is no way to connect a kill a watt between the panel and inverter.  A clamp on dc clamp amp meter worked well.  I just need to know if I was getting the amp rating on the panels and I was.

mathelm

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
No conventional way I suppose, plus I was thinking of all your panels as a whole.....

I meant to mention that in my earlier post, a clamp meter I mean.

Also, which inverters did you use? 215 or 190's?

FoolAmI

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
I wired a $55 Watts UP meter inline and have been happy with the results.      With it I can telleverything from volt/amp to total watt hours and watt peak.       I've heard that these meters are not super durable and they have a max imput plttage of 60v but I wired mine between the MPPT controller and the battery bank.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
His application would vaporize that meter dud ;)
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

FoolAmI

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:18:28 AM »
True,    I should have read the origional post closer.        Coleman Air offers some good LED meters that can handle 200 amps @ 200 volts.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »
Colman air I wouldn't wipe my rear end with, there is garbage then there is colman air!

Do some research mate!

there are a few million ways to achieve what he wants, but a few simple and practical methods exist and have been stated, not much left to add to this thread. Stick around and read up on the gear and learn you'll love it and stay far away from the colman crap!  they ain't got nothing to do with the REAL Colman camping guys! (IMO Colman outfitters should sue colman air for defaming thier name!)
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
I have a coleman air amp/volt meter that has been running continuously for about three years, I also used the kit dump controller for about three years continuously with out a single problem, the only reason I don't use it any more is I dump on the AC side now, everything I've ever bough from him has been pretty much bullet proof.
The two coleman units survived a brain fart that fried a doc watson.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.