Author Topic: Microhydro Newb - A Few Questions  (Read 4091 times)

Boltz

Microhydro Newb - A Few Questions
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
Hi guys, I am setting up a microhydro generator. Have 70 gallons/minute and 60 psi on a 2 inch line.
Was wondering, with that type of data, what size pelton wheel would be most efficient? Through how many nozzles of what size?
I know there are probably some smart people out there with the right tables, I got about as far as the bernoulli formula before I gave up.
Was considering a PMA from Windblue with a pelton OR the turgo kit from Motenergy, not sure which would be best?
Power generated will be going to a Xantrex C40 charge controller. I understand that it diverts power in 24VDC, anybody know if you can convert that to 120VAC so that I dont have to buy expensive 24V loads, I could just get old baseboards?
I know it's a lot of questions but thanks for the help I know you guys will provide.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Microhydro Newb - A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 02:54:24 AM »
Missing important details.
Providing details will get people who know to provide something better.

"Have 70 gallons/minute and 60 psi on a 2 inch line"
Guessing that means a couple/few hundred feet of run?
Guessing 60PSI is static pressure?

"a Xantrex C40 charge controller. I understand that it diverts power in 24VDC, anybody know if you can convert that to 120VAC so that I dont have to buy expensive 24V loads"
The controller can be set up to deal with common battery DC voltages (12, 24, 48).
Converting VDC to 120VAC is done with an inverter.  The inverter is on the other end of the power system.
A suitable and relaible dump load will not be very costly in the overall scheme of things.

Guessing, pure guessing, the system is suitable for maybe 1KW or a bit more.
That's a pretty decent system.

I would suggest looking hard for, and at, info provided from sources other than the sellers.
1KW 24/7/365 is a considerable amount of power.  Believing a cheesy sales pitch could be a major mistake.

My personal opinion is the C40 is outdated.  Look at the TS-60.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Boltz

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »
There is about 200 ft of line.
60 psi static pressure.
Already have the C40 from another system.

Boltz

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
60psi = 138 ft of head
But anybody who can help me would probably know that.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
With that kind of head, a pelton or turgo would probably be the best bang for the buck, from my research.   Are you stuck with the 2" line or can you go bigger, and is the water volume there to support more flow?

Turtle
soli deo gloria

hydrosun

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
200 feet line and 138 feet drop, do you have a vertical waterfall?  Running 70 gpm through 200 feet 23 inch line would lose 17 feet head. A larger pipe would lose less.  120 feet head and 70 gpm would produce 840 watts with a 50% efficient setup.  A 3/8th nozzle lets out 30 gpm at that head and a 7/16th lets out 40 gpm for a total of 70gpm. If your flow varies below 30 gpm you could use up to four nozzles to give a wider range of flow.
 A Harris PM pelton turbine would be the most efficient (closer to 70%) for that kind of setup.  All the options you mentioned use some kind of car alternator with magnets added. If you have plenty of power they will work fine. But if you have a stream with varying flow the Harris can adjust the magnet strength to keep up the highest efficiency. With a non adjustable field you could use a variable voltage converter like the Outback MX-60 to keep the efficiency high. 
If you supply more info on stream flow a better response will be given.
Chris