Author Topic: Quarter sawn lumber for blades  (Read 2368 times)

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
Quarter sawn lumber for blades
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
Brian's Morning Newsletter
Wednesday,July 20 2011

Good Morning
Nice. Yep,yesterday Louie and I ran a WoodMizer LT40 I did not bring my camera, which was a good thing because it was better to focus on what was happening around the saw.

WoodMizer-LT40

WoodMizer-LT40 These saws have a lot of options. The saw we used had most of the bells and whistles installed. Options like automatic log lifter, deburring (motorized saw which runs in front of the bandsaw removing dirt bark etc) two full panels of controls for manipulating the cants (squared logs) and Louie is a skilled machine operator,plus a real gentleman and profession to work alongside so the whole affair was a joy.

Louie salvaged several timbers from a job he is working on. We cut three timbers all were six by eight inches and one was eight feet long while the first two were eleven and a half feet. He graciously cut the third timber when I fretted that there may not be enough lumber for two sets of wind turbine blades. Speaking of blades:I've mixed up a new batch of Varathane,Gum Turpintine &Linseed oil for the set Kevin most recently created.

Here are those images from just now.

Nell and the Blades

Varathane mix coating –The sexy shape reminds me of Prince's guitar.

Prince-guitar-Smithsonian

Quarter-sawn-lumber –I've heard that being a Capricorn we love our stacks. This little pile makes happy. In the front is the Douglas Fir,a redder wood than the Spruce in the back

Quarter-sawn-lumber –Louie explained that quarter sawn lumber is oriented to the center of the tree. In the above image I hope you can make out the direction of the grain. The grain either starts out in one corner and radiates across the board at a diagonal or it is directly above or at right angles to the heart creating grain which ideally radiates from the narrow edges across the board. For the most part the grain does not radiate across the wide part of the board as is found in most lumber. The idea it to create boards with tighter grain so they are stronger. This should,we hope help with the thin knife edged potion of our wooden wind turbine blade

Quarter-sawn-lumber

Stator-mounted-July-2011 –While the Varathane dried I made a few adjustments to the stator trying to get it centered so it will stay where I placed it. I think I have it,I hope I have it. Either way I tightened the nuts to 30 to 40 foot pounds of torque. It seemed to still be fairly well centered this morning.

Well I better start getting ready for another sweltering day of work in the Summer sun.

Obviously I'm having fun over here and hope you are as well where you are
Brian Rodgers
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either