Author Topic: update on the big kahuna  (Read 1978 times)

97fishmt

update on the big kahuna
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:29 PM »
I took off the motor I have been using for some time now to try a different one.
I put the big kahuna on but haven't made blades for it yet so,  the 10'er went
on it. 

This motor is suited for 24 volt charging and I haven't gotten around to that either.
I made it work for 12 volt charging with a large ganged up variac.  3 phase to 2phase
and then individually rectified the phases.  So I was just able to adjust the resistance
to get the blades to fly rather than just sit stalled and put out a couple amps.

I was able to get about 45 amps out of it but clearly not an ideal set up.  I took the motor
off the next day and put that one on I compared to a skill saw.  I was going to put the
10' prop on but,  this motor was very easy to turn with it on so, I thought I wouldn't be
able to brake it with the stop switch. 

I put that 8' prop on I made last year and wow it's a real performer.  I saw 50 amps out of
it right away and seemed to hang around 25 amps when my bigger motor would usually
sit at about 10.

I have a new machine to rely on now until I finish those blades for a 16'er

Not really any difference in looks so no pictures.  Just an update.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: update on the big kahuna
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:59:26 AM »
A paltry 45 Amps?

I need to have your problems!

Anyway it sounds like you're seeing the difference in "matching".  Getting blades on that want to work at the same speed that the motor/generator wants to work, well, that's the sweet spot isn't it?!   ;D

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

silentblue1987

• Why post my pic when I have a video game double..
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
Yeah, that sweet spot is the "success" of working systems and the "stalling blade syndrome" or "running away" of failed systems.

Gotta find that balance or any well built setup will be a lawn decoration.

Keep up the good work!

97fishmt

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »
OK, I knew this motor wouldn't work.  I have been putting off changing out the different motors because I have had the old seimens motor up for so long and didn't want to fix it if it wasn't broke.

I had some time and wanted to try a few.  The big one went on first.  I really just wanted to see
how transformers worked with a turbine.  I'm planning on doing one a distance away and go that
route.   I have also been doing dc to dc converters but, the ticket is to match the prop to the power
curve of the motor,  I know that and that is what you guys are saying. 

I also wanted to see how hard it was to pull up the tower with twice the weight of an alternator on top. No problem with the tower handling it or the winches. 

I did blow a bridge rectifier playing with the variac  right before I connected it I think.  I let it spin up
and oops.   It was a bank of the cheapies.  I put those nice ones I showed a few months ago into service.  So I'm running 3 turbines right now and there is so much solar now its crazy.  Why would anyone want the grid?  If you can get a system together and live with it,  it sure will give you a richer life from all the benefits from being independent.

silentblue1987

• Why post my pic when I have a video game double..
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »
I did blow a bridge rectifier playing with the variac  right before I connected it I think.  I let it spin up
and oops.   It was a bank of the cheapies.  I put those nice ones I showed a few months ago into service.  So I'm running 3 turbines right now and there is so much solar now its crazy.  Why would anyone want the grid?  If you can get a system together and live with it,  it sure will give you a richer life from all the benefits from being independent.

Live and learn I say. What kind of rectifier did you try at first?
I'm trying out a 90A one with a built in sink and slapping a 6" x 5" aluminum sink to the back of it.

Been finding all kinds of goodies on ebay lately, kinda disturbing since I used to hate them.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »

Been finding all kinds of goodies on ebay lately, kinda disturbing since I used to hate them.

Yep, it is psychologically disturbing to see the lengths we go to enable and rationalise this addiction.

Crack is like unadulterated Koolaid compared to the RE bug.

There is no cure and I, personally, have a couple terrabytes of excuses why it is A Good Thing [TM].

Tom

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
TomW,

Could you send over that excused file GZIPped up so I can have it spooling by on the screen when the medical orderlies in white coats come to get me?

B^> / 2

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social