Author Topic: Educational project - little stream i Norway  (Read 2997 times)

Ystei

Educational project - little stream i Norway
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:57 PM »
Hi!

Great forum and site!

I hope you can help me a bit on the way with my little project..

I have a little stream that i want to make use of the power from, by making as much as possible my selves.  -mostly for fun but also to demonstrate that it is possible to make your own electric power generator and also teach the theory to the community around the college where i live and work. 

i have measured the stream to approx:
-15 meters (50 feet) in elevation difference
-100 liters/min (26gallons/min) of water flow
-50 metres (164 feet) in penstock length

i have been searching quite a bit around for info on how to calculate data for generator and wheel and how to make it, but have not really found a really good source of info. So anyone here have any suggestions on designs that would fit the stream or know a place to find info on how to calculate and build this from scratch it will be much appreciated!

In this first project it is not important that we use all of the available power in the stream. As long as we will have enough power to charge a little battery that can light 20-50 watts of led bulb during the night, it will be enough to demonstrate the point and to do some measurements and calculations for the students.. It is more important that it is fearly easy to make and not to expensive.

I have many ideas but not sure about if they are good. So please if you have any suggestions please tell me!

Thanks!
Øystein, Norway

hydrosun

Re: Educational project - little stream i Norway
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:52:04 AM »
Your site has a potential of 130 watts with a 50% efficient system.  A 2 inch pipe would lose 4 feet of head. Microhyropower.com now sells a small turbine for about $700 that would work for your stream. Or you could buy some pelton spoons from h-hydro.com and put them on a permanent magnet dc motor, a car alternator with rheostat for the field or stepper motor or a generator you make.
Chris

Ystei

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »
Your site has a potential of 130 watts with a 50% efficient system.  A 2 inch pipe would lose 4 feet of head. Microhyropower.com now sells a small turbine for about $700 that would work for your stream. Or you could buy some pelton spoons from h-hydro.com and put them on a permanent magnet dc motor, a car alternator with rheostat for the field or stepper motor or a generator you make.
Chris

Thanks! Great links!

Any suggestions for how to go further if i decide to make the generator my selves? Is the axial flux alternator a good idea to work from?

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
I am working on a small unit myself. Here is a link: http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=87836b9959198f81b8e9b2ee2e50606f&topic=143584.0
Some things I have tried. Some worked some not so good.
Maybe it will help.