Author Topic: DC ??? battery bank  (Read 2216 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
DC ??? battery bank
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
Age old question 24/48 v. Last time I asked about this it got off on other things but that is our nature to branch out and explore other ideas. That is a good thing. So what are the basic pros and cons of each system. I'll have a duel charging system of solar and micro hydro. Solar in the summer and hydro in the winter. Two banks 1200 ah each. One bank can be charged by either water or sun. It will be made so that I can charge either one with either system but with a manuel switch gear only. I will not have the ability to go and get parts easily during the winter months for about 4  months and it is 54 miles one way to a town. 7 miles of rock and dirt 18 mi less to the highway then to town. I would like some ideas and some possible problems to prevent from either  24 / 48 v. Thanks Thirteen
MntMnROY 13

rossw

Re: DC ??? battery bank
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
You haven't really given us enough information to make an informed comment.

The battery voltage you use is (largely) a function of distances from batteries to inverter, and anticipated maximum loads, neither of which are indicated.

Tritium

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
Higher voltage = smaller wires.  There are some direct 24VDC appliances, practically none for 48V direct use. If you are using an inverter to convert to 110 or 220VAC then 48V will keep the amperage on the DC side lower. If I was rebuilding my system or building new I would use 48V (personal preference). My current system is 12V since I had 12V inverters on hand when I built it.

Thurmond

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
Also by distance from charging source to batteries.

My personal choice 48V, its a bit like hiring a bulldozer, you need the largest you can get it will cost less in the long run.

Sounds like you are building a serious system so you might be buying a quality inverter so a 48v unit should be readily available, the less amps whizzing in and out of those capacitors = longer life IMHO.

This bundle of 6mm sq is for 110V imagine the size for 12V

Allan of the jungle
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Your right it was to general.  Distance from power source to batteries is around 720 feet. so a high voltage then down to transformers for the battery voltage would probably be best. Battery to inverter will be only 6 ft then to my power panel for the house. I will use my generator for the need for power tools. Power usage for my house will be lights, 110v fridge, computor, a radio,  tv, I heat with wood and cook with wood.  There is no forced air furnace or air conditoiner. I will be getting new inverters and new batteries. As for inverters I will keep the old $15.oo Victor Inverter 3000w for a spare but my batteries are old and abused and several different types. But they were free.
If I go 48 it sounds like it would last longer with less amperage draw. My charging system for solar I'll have to look into more. 
Are NiFi batteries worth the price for a 48 v system? Just wondering if what I have heard about them lasting is true and if you have a hard time running them up to full voltage and staying there. I suppose it is different in every system. There always seems to be a shadow draw somewhere.
be back next week Thirteen
MntMnROY 13