Author Topic: Induction motor to generator  (Read 5845 times)

guruji

Induction motor to generator
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »
Hi guys I have a automatic washing machine motor and would like to use it as generator without modifying the rotor. I read that I can use capacitors for the cage and it will generate electricity. The thing is I don't know exactly about it's wires.
It has eight wires coming out. Three with blue color connected togheter. Another blue;black;White;Pink and Red.
I tried to connect pink and white together cause I thought these were for the cap and measure the black and red while connected to a 1000uf DC bank.
Nothing came out :(
Any help please?
Thanks

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Induction motor to generator
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
I know almost less than you do....
but with induction motors I think you have to have it spinning
hooked up to 110 ....now a power source also spinning it at the same speed
or slightly faster hooked to a load then disconnect the 110 vac .....
and you should have 110 vac going to the load from the motor....as long as the
power source keeps spinning the motor at the same speed....
...leaving all the wires on the motor hooked as original.....
anything else you'll have to wait for our experts to chime in....
or google how to convert induction motor to generator....
Hope this helps. :)
Norm

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
First of all don't waste time with any thing under 2 Hp

You disable the start circuit and remove it you need way less then a 1000uf and you need AC oil capacitores (Run caps) about 200uf to start.
You need to be running over the synchronous speed of the motor

if it has a run cap circuit you can put the caps there, if not then in perallel tot he out put terminals.

If no power builts up with it spinning quicky spike the cap bank with a 12v gell cell  and the motor should immeadietly load down with the feild back emf and be generating
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

kevbo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
You need to be running over the synchronous speed of the motor

If you are not grid connected, there is no synchronous speed.  The output frequency will be about poles*rpm/285.  If you are not trying to hit 60 Hz, then you can push the rpm a bit, and get a bit more power, but this increases voltage as well, so the caps need to be able to stand it, though the caps "look" bigger at higher frequency, so you can back off the uF a little.

If you ARE grid connected you need to run about 0-5% over synchronous speed, or 5-10% over rated motor speed, and you will be generating with or without caps. The higher you are above sync speed, the more power the generator will put out, and the more torque it will demand of the prime mover. The grid will supply the reactive power (VARs) to the generator, and the generator will return watts to the grid. The caps, if present, supply the VARs instead of the grid, and reduce the line current for a given output power.

dbcollen

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:40:39 AM »
First of all don't waste time with any thing under 2 Hp

I disagree with under 2hp being a waste of time, my most efficient hydro is a 3/4 hp 6 pole induction machine. I am getting 1440 watts from it all winter. 6uf per phase in delta, motor is wired 220v star, producing power at 330vac, 90hz. caps are with the transformers up at the house 1700 feet from the turbine.  The best I did with a 3hp 4 pole motor was 1100 watts.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
well great if thats all you need, since he didn't give the power density he needed, most beginers will have greatest luck geting started with the larger motor.

where on earth did you snage a 6 pole motor?

Here I run 60Hz at 240, using a 4 pole, 2.5Kw, 125uf of cap, till the pipe line is upgraded then we'll move to 7Kw.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!