Author Topic: Will these magnets work or too small for axial flux?  (Read 6598 times)

Scott

Will these magnets work or too small for axial flux?
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
I have these neos from a couple 403's.  They measure 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/4".  Are they useful for any kind of small axial flux machine or just too small?

GoVertical

Re: Will these magnets work or too small for axial flux?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »
Hi, small magnets need high RPM. Have you look at radial flux designs? Try making a test coil. I hope to see some photos of your project.
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
How come the two rotors can be so close together without -

moving further apart, or

crashing into each other?

Seem too close for comfort either way...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »
How come the two rotors can be so close together without -

moving further apart, or

crashing into each other?

Spar, if you've ever taken a 403 apart you'd know they're not very powerful.  Those magnets are about the size of chicklets and they're not very dangerous.
--
Chris

Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:57:21 AM »
Yeah, there not that strong.  Makes me wonder if one of these air units might actually make power if I put larger stronger magnets in it. 

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
It won't.  Those little blades only got so much in them and they have to run really fast to make the few watts they do.  If you put bigger magnets in the blades wouldn't run fast enough and you'd get less power.  The Air 403 and Air-X are what they are, and that's not much.  Using one for off-grid residential power is kind of like trying to use a Toyota Prius to pull a semi trailer - it won't work.  As far as I'm concerned they're a device that was invented to convert rotary motion into noise.

I know a guy that has four of them providing a trickle of amps when the wind blows good for his off-grid home.  When you drive into his place you'd swear his house is infested with hornets.
--
Chris
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:54:04 AM by ChrisOlson »

Rover

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
Mine never did that well, think its the way I mounted them on the shed, probably the wrong angle... :)
Scott, the one on the shed is the 24V we traded

I will say that the bugger managed to survive Hurricane Irene as evidenced above (though the shed didn't) , and managed to hit 28A. Although the total output for the day, with hurricane force winds was ~ 100W

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
Wow Rover you must of had some wild winds.  Bummer on the shed.

What's the other unit you have on the tower? 

Rover

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »

Its a 7' Chines turbine... does ok. ~ 450W

I had it shut down during the storm, the 403, I just let be free....:)
Rover

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
I had it shut down during the storm, the 403, I just let be free....:)

That's the way them 403's like to run and that's the kind of wind they need.  Hurricane Irene was probably good for it and blew the cobwebs out of it.   :)

That's a bad deal with the shed - looks like it might need some minor repairs.
--
Chris

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
The 403 is a high speed iron cored alternator with a small air gap.Those magnets will be useless for anything with a significant air gap. That rules out any form of dual rotor machine. They are also magnetised to suit a radial flux alternator and would be near useless for a dual rotor axial.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't get so,mething out of them but it would never be worth the effort except for a fun machine with a small fast set of blades. Even the 403 blades would only give a few 10s of Watts with an air gap alternator.

Flux

Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »
Kind of figured as much Flux but thought I'd ask.

Warrior

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
This is an Air X´s 24 volt power curve:

3814-0

I don't think the alternators are useless. I once modeled this alternator with a 2 m geared turbine and it actually modeled OK.

I can't think of any direct drive application but maybe with slightly larger blades and rectifying each phase and putting them in series you might get some power at lower rpms...

Warrior
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

Rover

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »
Warrior,

I've tried Air-X's , now this 24 volt 403 (modified IRP for 12V, down tower, switchable star (original config)) ... I've data logged for months.

Honestly if you don't own a boat... not worth it ...  (on a boat you have usually clear wind )

They tend to hit cut in and stall immediately afterwards unless its in a consistent non turbulent wind.

Rover

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 02:02:56 AM »
Warrior, you are right that the alternator is not useless but it only works in a high wind region, with gearing and bigger blades it could work in lower winds.

The question was about using the magnets in an air gap type alternator and in that case it would be about useless, it was designed for an iron core and there is not enough flux per pole with a big air gap. You would need even more gearing to overcome the very thin wire and high resistance that an air gap machine would need.

Flux

jlt

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:58:54 AM »
     I think That you could use them in a 4 pole induction motor. use 6 mags of the same polarity on each pole.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
it looks as though the faces of the mags are covered with a metal band.
perhaps that is to help retain there position at high rpm?

if they were mine, i would use all the mags to form a single rotor radial with twice the poles of the original alternators .
form a centre rotor of wound steel wire and place the coils on the surface.
place the magnets on the inside of a round rotor (steel pipe of appropriate dia.)
i think i would go for a two phase layout with overlapping coils
use some gears to spin the heck out of it.

every good magnet deserves to live in an alternator.

esc

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »
Scott,
I sent you a PM. 
I just remembered that I have about thirty 3/4" round x 1/4" thick N42's if you are interested in a trade.

Eric

Rover

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
You could always connect the two generator heads together on shaft ... parallel after rectifiers

Course then you just end up with a 2x 0 power ... :)
Rover

esc

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
Scott,

After reading your other thread I am sure that (as everyone else has already said) these magnets are not what you need.  I think that your best bet would be to sell me your 403 parts and use the money to buy some REAL magnets.

I know some here have a rather poor opinion of the 403 but my experience is that it is a solid and reliable piece of equipment.  It will NEVER make 400 watts, but in a good wind location like you have described in your other thread I would expect it to reliably make 100 watts.  That would be in line with my experience on the beach.

I know this belongs on your other topic, but...
If you are out to fool around, experiment, learn a few things the hard way and/or spend a lot of time figuring out a good combination.  Then start from scratch and make your own design.  I've done it and it was a lot of fun, but it was not a very efficient use of my time. 

If you are serious about making power and don't want to fool around with a bunch of experimentation.  I recommend that you follow one of the well tested recipes that can be found around here.

Eric

Tritium

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
As far as I'm concerned they're a device that was invented to convert rotary motion into noise.
Chris

In addition to taking advantage of "Green Fever" to remove dollars from unsuspecting consumers who happily buy without researching a subject.

Thurmond