Author Topic: Water heater controller for 48v 17Ft turbine  (Read 2793 times)

DenisGCroombs

Water heater controller for 48v 17Ft turbine
« on: September 10, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
I have almost finished a otherpower.com based 17ft turbine, but want to heat water and am looking to use 48v water elements of 500watt, 1000watt and 4 x 1200watt to allow me to lead the turbine from 500watt to 6.3kw.
If i measure the turbine voltage (every few Ms) and try and keep the voltage to 48v by increasing/decreasing the load (totally using solid state DC relays) is that the best logic ?
If not what is the best logic ?

Thanks
Denis

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
Re: Water heater controller for 48v 17Ft turbine
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
It takes a power to heat water. Something like what you described should work.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:21:59 PM »
The absolute best way to heat water with wind is to use a dump load controller that will turn on an inverter that will power AC elements, DC elements don't heat water, they are very good at using up current in line losses.
Do a google search on the morning star relay driver, you could power any number of elements with this device it has four channels that are infinitely adjustable.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
The absolute best way to heat water with wind is to use a dump load controller that will turn on an inverter that will power AC elements, DC elements don't heat water, they are very good at using up current in line losses.
Do a google search on the morning star relay driver, you could power any number of elements with this device it has four channels that are infinitely adjustable.

Hi Fabricator

Thanks for the device, it looks good and not too expensive.
But can you expand on the DC elements not heating water as this is not something I have heard before.

Regards
Denis

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
When you use DC elements you usually need relatively long runs of large cable, you lose most of your power to heat losses in the cable, when you use AC elements with AC power you don't have those problems, a lot of people have been disappointed by the lack of heat they actually get out of DC elements.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

zvizdic

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
When you use DC elements you usually need relatively long runs of large cable, you lose most of your power to heat losses in the cable, when you use AC elements with AC power you don't have those problems, a lot of people have been disappointed by the lack of heat they actually get out of DC elements.

Go to 48V or 120V DC (methanolcat heating load controller)  no large cable .
Wire losses less then inverter inefficiency.

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:21:13 AM »
I am actually using 3 phase (4 core) 35mm square (steel wired amour) cable (each core is approx 3/8" dia) and that hopefully should be able to keep my energy loss's down.
But I was going to data log the system anyway and so should be able to see what loss's I get and change to AC later as I already have the 48v DC water elements and have built them into my water manifold.

I also have seen some comments/systems that use frequency and not voltage to dump control or on water heater controls any comments on which is better?

Rgds
Denis