Author Topic: Why are PV panels RECTANGULAR  (Read 6528 times)

adobejoe

Why are PV panels RECTANGULAR
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
I am trying to find PV panels that are a square shape, or even something else. Does anyone know of a supplier of square shape PV panels?

Adobe Joe

rossw

Re: Why are PV panels RECTANGULAR
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:35:25 PM »
I am trying to find PV panels that are a square shape, or even something else. Does anyone know of a supplier of square shape PV panels?

How many are you after? I know a manufacturer who will build them to your requirements (both power and physical dimensions), but you'll certainly need more than 4 or 6 to make it worth the effort :)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:19:53 AM »
Adobe Joe
                You would be better served if you told us the wattage you are looking for, intended use and where you are, I assume you are in the USA (but don't ask me why I assume that you may not like my answer)

Allan  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:26:30 AM by wpowokal »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

dbcollen

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
the Kaneka thin films are nearly square, something like 37x39 inches for the 60 watt panel

adobejoe

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
I am in the US, Wyoming. I need 30 panels, 200-250 W/panel. ROSSW, who do you suggest?

Adobe Joe

rossw

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
I am in the US, Wyoming. I need 30 panels, 200-250 W/panel. ROSSW, who do you suggest?

30 panels wouldn't exactly set a manufacturers world on fire.
I could possibly convince my man for a "short run" of 300...

As for who would I suggest... given that I'm on the opposite side of the world to you, I'm not sure that any of my recommendations are relevant.

Rover

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »
Hi Adobejoe

RossW lives in Australia. Anything he offers be way expensive in shipping.

Back to your dilemma , square panels need 30 of them 200-250W.

We are not used to this kind of question, most would present a use or need for the power. Most would also have a voltage in mind for the panels (12/24/48 etc). Very very unusual to have a panel choice based on dimension and wattage alone.

Might I ask, what your plans are?

Rover
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

defed

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
2 rectangular panels side by side can make a square.  mine are approx 30" x 60"....side by side, 60" x 60".

wdyasq

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »
My Kaneka G-SA060 are 60W - .9A - 67V and 39x39x1.6 - size in inches

Ron
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
Why?
Maybe because rectangular are cheaper and easier to mount solidly, and (arguably) they would catch less wind.
Maybe because wiring 36 in series, with a center tap for bypass diodes, just makes more sense in 4x9.
Maybe something more scientific, like growing the crystals in proportions needed for a square 225W class panel would be problematic.
Maybe something more simple, like "it fits on a skid".

There are / were some nearly square units around.  They were in the 30 to 60W class.  I had some BPs or GEs a few years ago.  I saw some generic Chinees ones later.
The larger units were a PITA to ship in quantity...  It was cheaper to ship individual boxes of 4 panels via UPS, than ship skids via FOB.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

adobejoe

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
All good comments. See photos, and might help explain. Groundmount like this is best for wind protection. Rotate on diagonal is simple, but ideally a shape like oval would maybe work best. Innovation requires change, and I am proving the concept here in Wyoming. I would love to find panels that are round, or oval, or square. Why not? I am rotating with a system (standalone) of a 40 W panel and batteries and a PIC controller. I works just fine, and probably increases my panel output 20% +. The system is mostly made of steel fencepost---very low cost, strong, and easily available..almost everywhere. Pole mount systems will not work in any windy area.

Adobe Joe

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:14:01 PM by kurt »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »
I think you misinterpreted the mounting situation due to the sun's angle when the photo was taken.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
I tend to agree with Glen.

You seem to be trying to cure a non existent problem.

Bottom line is a solid mount to hold your expensive fragile panels in any weather condition you experience and that the surface is perpendicular to the sun.

The shape will not make one bit of difference power output wise as long as it is facing the sun whether it is square, rectangular, round or trapezoid.

But its your setup so do what ever trips your trigger.

Tom

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
Money spent on an adequate frame is only a fraction of the panel price in the first place.   Skimp on the structure and you'll regret it in the end- the end of the array's output, that is

Turtle
soli deo gloria

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 11:12:04 AM »
I saw a bunch of panels at a utility company site here in New Mexico, there 4 rectangles each 90° to the other with a small square in the middle. I used to live in Cheyenne Wyoming and then familiar with the winds there. Winds of 30 to 40 miles an hour almost every day for nine months of the year. We had to chain 55 gallon trash barrels to a poll to keep them from blowing away.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
There is a large pole mounted array (well 3 poles) near me with what looks like 9 panels per pole. Survived 90mph winds that took out trees and utility poles near it so pole mounting can be strong. And these are on a tracker mount. Nice expensive system!  :D

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
You can get them TRIANGULAR now, too!

(just don't ask about the cost of these special items!)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca