Author Topic: Need search help  (Read 6916 times)

Harold in CR

Need search help
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »

I am probably the worlds worst at searching the internet.

I am trying to help someone else by showing photos of staggered magnet in runner rotors. I know they exist, using small square magnets set in epoxy on a motor rotor that was turned down, and then, the magnets staggered around the rotor.

is there anybody that can assist me in either HOW to correctly search, or, can supply a link or two, showing those type magnet patterns ??

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Need search help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
Rats. A link for a german pole - magnet count-to-winding-pattern online-calculator disappeared

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/motor_info.htm came up in a quick search for outrunners...

Harold in CR

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
 I'm not sure if it was on this forum, but, someone took a rotor out of an electric motor or Auto Alternator, and turned it down on a Lathe. Then, they epoxied small square magnets around the rotor, but, they were "Stair-stepped" or staggered, so they were in a spiral around the rotor.

Someone is trying to use small magnets for their rotor in a hub motor, instead of bar magnets. He can't get the magnets glued to the rotor, because of opposite poles of the magnets pushing them out of alignment.

I was thinking about the spiral design, and, just can not find a photo. I'm sure it's because I don't know what to call what I'm looking for.

The link provided is for out runner motors, not in runners. I went through most of it, but, didn't see anything remotely what I am looking for.  Thanks for posting it, though. It IS a good reference for out runner motors.

Maybe it was Jerry or Zubbly that did this as a tutorial ???  I just don't remember stuff well, anymore ??

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:37:14 PM »
Harold;

Like this?

It was a Zubbly creation. It is a method to skew the magnet poles to avoid cogging

More photos here of his stuff:

http://pics.ww.com/v/TomW/FLRescues/Zubbly/

I grabbed this stuff from the old FieldLines board.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:44:26 PM by TomW »

Harold in CR

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »

Yes Tom. That's exactly what I am looking for. I found a RuddyCrazy post as well, so, I have 2 photos. Thank you.  8) 8)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
<SHOW OFF = "ON">

<SHOW OFF = "OFF">

Sorry about that.   ;)

Any excuse, sheesh!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »
DIY Inrunner & Outrunner motors are what led me to Fieldlines way back when...

I have a box of outrunners yanked from tape drives I was going to make yard art from :)

I still want to see a 400mm double-sided [ think  -:I:- ] skewed 12 or 16 pole running off a carbon fiber drive belt :)

Has a new name for conversions just been minted? The Zubbly Runner... :)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Zubbly and others did some fairly complex stuff to get the cogging down to about nothing.

Depending on the application, size, etc, I found some common sense and a bit of experience can get the cogging down to about nothing without much math involved.  Not sure if the common sense leads to better experiences, or experience leads to common sense.  Anyway...
These below don't noticably cog.
G-

"<SHOW OFF = "ON">" ?   LOL

3 phase conversion using HD neos,

Rotor from my 1 megawatt turbine,  ::)

www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Harold in CR

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »

With the interest shown here, I will try to elaborate a bit. The guy is making a Hub motor, for a bicycle. You can buy them, but, where's the fun in that ?? Anyway, he's trying to get a complete magnet set all the way around the inside of the rotor. The stator doesn't move, just like these Axial Gennys.

He's using a machined solid piece of steel, instead of laminations. Then, he's having trouble placing the magnets, because of the opposing poles. He's now wanting to do groups of 5 magnets, then a space, to get the correct number of poles.

If anyone is interested, I can put up a link to that thread, over on Endless-sphere.

There are axial flux motors available, but, the rotor starts to flex at high RPM's.  YUP, those guys like to see upwards of 8000 RPM's and more. Some are running model plane motors, at 45 MPH, on E-bicycles.  ::) ::) ::)

There are also guys racing E-motorcycles at over 120MPH, using other axial flux motors. They are just way too high in RPM's to use for Wind Turbines.  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Thanks for all the photos and info, guys.  8) 8)

ruddycrazy

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 08:08:28 PM »
G'day Harold,
                  The first motor conversion I did I used a brandnew 2hp motor which was hard wired in star. I used 8 off 2x1x1/2 magnets with a countersunk hole. With all my motor conversions I machine up a new rotor out of solid bar stock. The 2hp was done using the offset method and has been going now for a few years with a set of 3 metre blades. Many times it has seen gale force winds and it just laps the wind up and tops out my 20 amp gauge. I do find on a sunny day when the wind is blowing no matter what I have running in the shed if the turbine is producing the batteries are dumping load.

Now my 4kw motor conversion is getting done in the true 'Zubbly' "RIP mate" fashion. once again I machined out the rotor from solid bar stock and used my bridgeport mill to counterbore in pockets for the 10 degree skew. I did find when each mag was seated no stupid glue was needed, but it was a tad hair raising have 22 off 16x13mm N50 round neo's sitting beside each other. I have stripped out all of the old wire and made new insulation for the stator and once I can get the rotor fully potted and make a jig for inserting/removing the mag rotor I'll do a one wire test to see if can get away with using 14awg wire and hopefully 2 inhand or more.

One day I'll take down the 2hp and do a full rewire so it more than double the current output.

Regards Bryan

Harold in CR

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

Thank You, Brian

Did you have any problems with the magnets repelling each other, so it was difficult to seat them. I realize the milled indents in the rotor would help a lot with this problem.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »
Do Not seat the magnets in the steel.  It shorts flux.
Zubbly made an aluminum sleeve to go over the rotor, then seated the magnets in the aluminum (with the magnet reaching the iron).

They repel each other a LOT.
I think I took that small rotor photo above (the "1 megawatt") to show how the middle magnet forced itself out of whack.

I use iron strips (microwave core) to short the flux from the near magnets to other magnets, so it does not fight so bad with the one being JB Welded down.
G-

www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller