Remote Living > Housing

Jack Hammer Compactor

(1/3) > >>

Rattlesman:
Hi folks,
I was just wondering if anyone out there had ever pondered  using an electric jack hammer with a fabricated shoe/plate to do the compacting in the bottom of footing trenches? The reason I ask should be fairly obvious. I have the jack hammer  and a welder and mucho scrap metal but no compactor and will have a need for a compactor this spring after digging the trenches. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.
Rattlesman ;D

birdhouse:
rattle-
it would work just fine.  i'd just make the "foot" larger than expected, because a jackhammer will most likely produce more downward force than a compactor. 

there are more detailed responses to your 3-phase winding question up now as well!

adam

TomW:
Not sure if you even need to compact footing bottoms if they are cut to  undisturbed grade?

If they were over dug then refilled yes.

I am no engineer just built stuff since I was old enough to carry block for the old man when he did Saturday jobs long ago.

Not sure if the jackhammer to compactor idea will work but it sounds like something I might try. ;D

Best of luck.

Tom

wpowokal:
While you do not tell us about the trench for the footings I am with TomW with regard to not trying to compact undisturbed soil but we don't know what your soil type is. Your suggestion would be better than nothing but there is a difference between what you could achieve with a jack hammer and the vibrating of a compactor.

allan

toothy:
If it's gravel or sand water works wonders.
Wade

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version