Author Topic: SOLD!!---South West WP AIR-403 upgraded.SOLD!!----  (Read 2659 times)

Jerry

SOLD!!---South West WP AIR-403 upgraded.SOLD!!----
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
This unit is the one I've been testing. I've made several mods. First thing was to remove the electronics. These were designed to reduce noise. They have been anoying and now with better blades there is no noise. The new blades are also providing cutin at 5 MPH not the stock blade 13 MPH. I baught this unit new and have outgrown it. The stator is 48 volt but I've been using it a 12v. Doing things this way have made a nice littel  usfull 12 volt
machine that was otherwize a worthless 48 volt machine. This unit was unstable and  would hunt in all directions untill I increased the tail size. In the meter test you will see it has very early cutin compaired to the other units in the same test. Since flying and testing this unit I've not had winds over 18 MPH in a very short gust. I did see 5.6 amps at that time at around 13.8 volts this is 77 watt s +. I'm sure it can reach 100 to 150 watts easily. It was originaly rated at 400 watts. However using the 48 volt stator at 12v with the slower higher touqure blades changes things  drasticly. It does shut down very nicley with shorted leads. Its a good starter, cabin or RV wind generator. I'm asking $150. Pluss shiping in its original box. Heres a couple picture of the wind generator and the meter readings in the shop sorry didn't get higher wind #s the day of the picture taking.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:18:24 PM by Bruce S »

Jerry

Re: South West WP AIR-403 upgraded.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
This unit is the one I've been testing. I've made several mods. First thing was to remove the electronics. These were designed to reduce noise. They have been anoying and now with better blades there is no noise. The new blades are also providing cutin at 5 MPH not the stock blade 13 MPH. I baught this unit new and have outgrown it. The stator is 48 volt but I've been using it a 12v. Doing things this way have made a nice littel  usfull 12 volt
machine that was otherwize a worthless 48 volt machine. This unit was unstable and  would hunt in all directions untill I increased the tail size. In the meter test you will see it has very early cutin compaired to the other units in the same test. Since flying and testing this unit I've not had winds over 18 MPH in a very short gust. I did see 5.6 amps at that time at around 13.8 volts this is 77 watt s +. I'm sure it can reach 100 to 150 watts easily. It was originaly rated at 400 watts. However using the 48 volt stator at 12v with the slower higher touqure blades changes things  drasticly. It does shut down very nicley with shorted leads. Its a good starter, cabin or RV wind generator. I'm asking $150. Pluss shiping in its original box. Heres a couple picture of the wind generator and the meter readings in the shop sorry didn't get higher wind #s the day of the picture taking.
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) oops sorry about the duplicute picture. Should have been this one.

Jerry

Rover

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I've done virtually the same thing with a 24V version going into 12V. (Extended tail, different blades, ripped out electronics, down tower IRP then rectified).

You do anything else?.. curious as to what your highest output has been from the unit?

Rover

PS..like the looks of you extended tail beter than mine :)
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Jerry
I'LL try it again.
jerry

Rover

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
Never mind.. just saw teh 5.6A.. how I missed .. no idea...

It's great that you are getting that out of the 48V Unit into 12V
Rover

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
Never mind.. just saw teh 5.6A.. how I missed .. no idea...

It's great that you are getting that out of the 48V Unit into 12V

HI Rover.
I'm not sure what this genny will do in higher winds. I tested it in my wind test truck a few years ago and got 350 watts around 35 MPH. That was at 48 volts though. Still waiting for some 25 to 30 MPH winds to check the top end? My blades are well suited to this aplication with a TSR around 6.5. They have good early startup and good RPM range for small gennies this size. They are 46" tip to tip diameter. I think this machine will do 100 to 150 watts easily. How much  $$$ is a 100 watt solar panel and do they work at night? 100 watts all day is better then 300 watts for a few minuts.

What are you using for upgrade blades. That may be your problem? DANO just sayin.
Jerry

Rover

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
LOL Jerry,

We should start a new thread. However, for the price your asking I think its a very good deal for the unit as all inclusive.

(I have seen my 24V hit 8A... but it took many days for that to happen, the low end was neglibly better than a 12V unit, I think the 48V gets you that nice low end (and the blades))

Rover

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
OK this unit is also sold. Not sure how that info gets posted on the classified main page?

Jerry

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
Jerry Thanks for the update I will lock the post and mark it as sold.
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard