Author Topic: Actuators for solar tracking  (Read 2985 times)

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
Actuators for solar tracking
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
Hi All,   
Here's a pic of my latest freebie.
 " alt="" class="bbc_img" />
It took a little work getting the dish off and popping off the concrete, but well worth the price. I plan on making a rack, of coarse, and using it as a stationary mount for my panels.

In the future, I want to have it track on a single axis. I see no problem with this but, I have no knowledge of actuators. My set up is 12 volt and I've seen plenty of actuators but, I am not clear on the limit switch set up. Do I need one with built in switches? Should they be adjustable?
Any help would be much appreciated.           
Kevin
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan

Elby

Re: Actuators for solar tracking
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
In the future, I want to have it track on a single axis. I see no problem with this but, I have no knowledge of actuators.

Consider leaving your options open here. It's really not much extra work to add the second axis later, especially if you plan for it now, or at least make sure you don't do something that will ham-string yourself later

My set up is 12 volt and I've seen plenty of actuators but, I am not clear on the limit switch set up. Do I need one with built in switches? Should they be adjustable?

Limit switches are not necessarily required, but some form of limits is. Otherwise when your mount runs out of travel it will just bind up and bend/break something.

Option 1. Use internal limit switches, internal limit switches should be adjustable. This is the easiest.

Option 2. You can use external switches on your frame to cut the power to the motors when it comes to the end of it's travel. A little ingenuity required as you don't want to kill the power that will allow it to back off and go the other way or else it's just stuck there.

Option 3. Use some external control that drives the motors, but which is set up to only operate inside certain parameters. Arduino micro-controllers come to mind. This is the hardest of the three to implement.

PS Consider replacing the mount tube with a much longer one, it really makes it nice to mow around and / or work around. Mine is mounted with the pivot of the mount about head-high.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
Satellite actuators have built in adjustable limit switches. If you go past a limit on an actuator you will trash the gearbox, you don't want to know how I know this  :P

David HK

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
Yes, limit switches are adjustable.

By way of a quick example here is a photograph of my satellite dish actuator used to drive my photo voltaic array:-

The limit switches are mounted on top of each other,  as are the two cams which operate them. The cams can be adjusted to regulate the arc of travel.

Other actuators use a a short screw thread to drive a pin up and down, and each end will land on the actuator switch.

Use a Google search on satellite TV actuators and you should be able to see the different types available.

Microprocessor control of a tracker system is probably over kill for this operation.

Tracker circuits/control units are available in the USA.

David in HK

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
They use a diode across each switch to allow travel in the reverse direction if the switch is open {off}.

Tom