Author Topic: Passive cooling  (Read 2691 times)

ruddycrazy

Passive cooling
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:42:07 AM »
Gday Guys,
              Stumbling after 10 pale ales and few HB's so how's this for an idea.......................

Running a 1/2" pipe to a 50 metre hole near the house go it down then up and put say 10 runs of water pipe under our house which is on stumps. Use a 1,000 litre  tank as a buffer. I do reckon this will work as passive cooling..

So in my HB state is this a plausible idea or am I just smoking in the water.................

Cheers Bryan 

12AX7

Re: Passive cooling
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
That's what they do for an energy source for heat pumps.   Used for both cooling and heating.

Photon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »
Whats your climate? Design temperature degC

Its worth noting a ground source heat pump eg waterfurnace has a poor part load COP vs. a modern inverter reverse cycle eg. toshiba, daikin mitsubishi. have better partload COP's.

Ross

bj

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
  A bunch of years ago, I did some experimenting with ground heat transfer, and it works.  Lots of available heat either way.  One brain
spark though,  that would cool the floor, and cool feet are nice, but the head kind of dictates what is comfortable, and cold doesn't rise.
  Maybe tie it in to say an auto radiator, with a fan?  Takes some power, but you already have to run a pump?
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

Tritium

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:46:38 PM »
Anytime that your pipes temps. are below the dew-point of the ambient air they will condense water leading to MANY problems from termites to mold.

Thurmond