Author Topic: Next project well underway.  (Read 6968 times)

Jerry

Next project well underway.
« on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »
This is actuly a wind generator from several years ago redone. It was on my 40ft tower that crashed. The only thing that got broke was the tower and the blades. Everthing else is fine.

I did however build a new mount, tail and yaw system. It will be going up on a 25ft tower. Its job is to keep the 8 batteries in my RV charged.

The heart of the wind generator is an unusual ac motor. It a 1/2 hp single phase thats the size of a 3 hp. No its not real old. Its a special stall type motor. Specs 120 vac, 9 amp runs and 9.9 amps for the start windings, 33 LBs, 6.5" diameter , 10" long, 1140 rpm. I've installed 12 curved NOEs in the 6 pole motor. This thing is one heavy half.

Befor the tower went down in the storm it was doing 2025 watts into a 24 volt battery bank. Powered by 7ft blades at the time. I'll be using it at 12 volts this time and with a 7.5ft 5 blade prop. Heres were I'm at so far
Jerry

Jerry

Re: Next project well underway.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
Sorry wrong picture try this one.

Jerry

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 02:47:25 AM »
looks great jerry....
i just took down my old motorhome mill from the top of my shop--and replaced with a little half hp motor conversion..
no where near the power output as yours--4 blades-5ft diameter...
ile try and post a pic....my isp is on and off  ??
just got back into my windgen hobby...been hitting the trails over the summer..
nice to see you back.........................later...
WILD in ALASKA

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:46:45 AM »
Looks good.

Where are the curved Neos from? I may be needing some later myself.

Hows the Electric Truck running.

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
Yeah ...Jerry...How is the electric truck running?
and nice job on the mill !
Norm.

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 11:42:20 AM »
Hi Guys.

The electric truck is still working well. The NEOs came from our host years ago. There are 2 rows of six. 6 fit perfectly around the cercumfrance after maching the armature. The 2 groups are scewed from each other slightly. This has reduced the cogging to a point where is easy to spin the 3/4" shaft between thumb and forfinger.

Hiker hope to here about your projects. I rectify the run and start windings seperatly. There are no chages to the wireing scheem of the motor. Other then the magnets its all stock. I wish I had a buch more of these motors. After all my years of dumpster diving at the HVAC shops this is the only one I've found. I'm not sure but I think I'm the one that brought the ECM to awhareness years ago from my dumpster diving? I know brag brag brag. LOL sorry about that. It might have even been that other guy?

Well back to the lab. Hey every one have a good Thanks Giving.

Jerry

Rover

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
"I'm the one that brought the ECM..."  I think you did.

Now EBay dive for them...sometimes competively LOL.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
Carved 8 blades today or should I say cut blades. I cut these blades out on a 9" band saw. After cuting the pipe into 4 pices on the table saw. After the band saw I used the belt sander to round off the edges. Then free hand  sand paper and scotch brite for the finish. I cut out 8 blades. I'll be selecting 5 from this lot for balance and shape.

Heres the picture if I get the right photo #. Some thing is goofy with the #s in my photo album. The # below the picture is not the # in the photo list. If the wrong photo posts I'll try to post the correct photo?

Hope the right pictures show up. Pictures don't show up in preview so I can't pre check them.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »
Carved 8 blades today or should I say cut blades. I cut these blades out on a 9" band saw. After cuting the pipe into 4 pices on the table saw. After the band saw I used the belt sander to round off the edges. Then free hand  sand paper and scotch brite for the finish. I cut out 8 blades. I'll be selecting 5 from this lot for balance and shape.

Heres the picture if I get the right photo #. Some thing is goofy with the #s in my photo album. The # below the picture is not the # in the photo list. If the wrong photo posts I'll try to post the correct photo?

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Hope the right pictures show up. Pictures don't show up in preview so I can't pre check them.

Jerry

Thats weird the same picture  twice? Try it again.

Jerry

jlt

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

Nice looking gen your building. Why are u  using 5 blades? Is it because the gen cog's , or other reasons.

Where to you find the time to build all that stuff.

I am still trying to rewire my 1/2 hp ECM .   Work always get's in the way of my play time.

JLT.                                                                                         

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »

Nice looking gen your building. Why are u  using 5 blades? Is it because the gen cog's , or other reasons.

I am still trying to rewire my 1/2 hp ECM .   Work always get's in the way of my play time.

JLT.                                                                                         

This unit was used at 24 volts in a previus life. Because I'll be using it at 12 volts, cutin will be way sooner, much lower wind speed. However the power output will be greatly reduced. But then it will be making power more of the time. I will be using it to just keep the RV batteries toped off so big power is not requiered. Just steadyer power. Since it has gone from a 40 ft tower to a 25ft tower and I want steadyer power not more power and to help with early cutin I've desided to go with five blades.

The 7 blade DIY car alt genny I built worked so well at low wind speed I'm figuring this will be a natural for this aplication. There is quite abit of stall on this genny at 12 volts so the high tourque  blades should overcome this. The 5 blades and this stall should limit the top end power. I'm hoping to see cutin around 5 mph. This scheem worked real well on the 48 volt SW403.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »

JLT.                                                                                         

PS. The cogging is very low on this conversion. The 2 rows of magnets are scewed from each other. The shaft is easyly spun with thumb and for finger.
Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
The blades are done accept for balance.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:35:18 AM by Bruce S »

artv

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 04:41:16 AM »
Hi Jerry ,...Nice looking blades, can you show how you attached them ? I know when I tried blades made from the pipe ,I wasn't sure about attaching them because of the curve ,which side  flat and which shimmed, or maybe shim both sides??
Also your two rows of six neo's , your using two magnets to make one pole right? Any chance of a pic of the insides?
Looking good so far......artv

Jerry

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »
Hi Jerry ,...Nice looking blades, can you show how you attached them ? I know when I tried blades made from the pipe ,I wasn't sure about attaching them because of the curve ,which side  flat and which shimmed, or maybe shim both sides??
Also your two rows of six neo's , your using two magnets to make one pole right? Any chance of a pic of the insides?
Looking good so far......artv

Its simular to this accept the are 6 magnets around the armature and there are 2 rowes for 12 magnets total. There are only 4 magnets on this solid steel armature

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
Try the blade hub picture again.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:34:35 AM by Bruce S »

Jerry

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
Well the picture thing is still goofy. I actuly selected 3 diferant photos but it post the same photo twice. I give up?

Anyway you can see the blades are simply bolted to the hub. The curve of the blades astablishes the root angle. The cut of the blade reduces the angle out to the tip.

Its hard to see but this is foam pipe. Its fairly light but fairly strong also. There is a very thin skin over very dence foam. 1 draw back to this blade is the same thickness of the leading edge and trailing eadge. But the big scoop at the root has a bunch of startup tourque and the pitch flatens out nice toward the tip.

The nice thing about this pipe material is the stringth. If I were to build blades of the normal pipe material it would be heavy and be britel and have a tendancy to snap or brake. It has been fun expirimenting with and flying this foam pipe though.

Jerry

Rover

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
Hi Jerry,

I've used foam core PVC pipe in the past, my problem has always been eventual warping (never had any break though). Might also be that mine were quite a bit thinner than yours.

I'm since gone to fiberglass laminations using pipe or some other as a mold.

Rover

Rover

Bub73

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
Jerry,
What diameter of pipe are you cutting the blades out of?
 It looks to be heavy wall pipe.
 Where do you get the pipe??
 The local salvage yard here has some 10''inch.  pvc that  I have made several sets from but would like to try a smaller dia meter. a different air foil?
 Isaiah & Bub

Jerry

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
Jerry,
What diameter of pipe are you cutting the blades out of?
 It looks to be heavy wall pipe.
 Where do you get the pipe??
 The local salvage yard here has some 10''inch.  pvc that  I have made several sets from but would like to try a smaller dia meter. a different air foil?
 Isaiah & Bub

This is  8" pipe. I have an account at a pipe distributer. I think a plumber can get it for you. You might even ask at the service desk at Home Depot or equivilant. Don't forget about the thin skin and the foam. This stuff is made for extream cold climates. I'm not sure if 10" is available? That would be awsome if it is.
Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I've used foam core PVC pipe in the past, my problem has always been eventual warping (never had any break though). Might also be that mine were quite a bit thinner than yours.

I'm since gone to fiberglass laminations using pipe or some other as a mold.

Rover

This stuff is close to 3/8" thick. Time will tell? Birdhouse has fiberglassed his wood chainsaw blades and the look and preform awsome.

Jerry

Rover

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I do a vaccuum mold over my form, (typically 10 layers of biaxial 22 oz, maybe some 9 oz in between, and on occasion some kevlar twill with carbon.) .. really ol web site post.. but basically .. here.. http://rovr1.com/wind/fg/index.html

Since then.. I just make large blanks and cut as needed using carbide blade on table saw or diamond grit on jig saw.

Rover

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
Jerry;
 I removed the dual pics  ;D
I looked to see what is going on.
It looked like what I used to do on this new board  8) too.
After you Browse to the pic, then press "insert" it should show attachement1
You then need to Browse to the next and after you press insert make sure it says Attachement2.
You can then do a preview to make sure the attachments are showing correctly. Can't see the pics the way we used to be able to in old forum :-(, but that's another story.
Hope that helps.
Nice Blades!! too!!
Bruce S
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:41:12 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Jerry

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »
Jerry;
 I removed the dual pics  ;D
I looked to see what is going on.
It looked like what I used to do on this new board  8) too.
After you Browse to the pic, then press "insert" it should show attachement1
You then need to Browse to the next and after you press insert make sure it says Attachement2.
You can then do a preview to make sure the attachments are showing correctly. Can't see the pics the way we used to be able to in old forum :-(, but that's another story.
Hope that helps.
Nice Blades!! too!!
Bruce S

Thanks for the info and help Bruce. I posted the same pics on another board without a glitch. To me the picture isue is a very minor problem. Just being able to visit and share ideas is something to be thankfull for. And what a great bunch of folks here to do the sharing with.

Jerry

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »
Jerry;
Your are very welcome. I enjoy your posting of the different ways you "adjust" to the needs.
If you still have those very early pics of how you produce the blades from the PVC pipes, could you repost them?
I'm sure with ALL the newer people here they're gonna ask now that you've shown them.
Since I cannot erect a HAWT here in the city much over the size of a gopher thumper  ;D I can only read and dream  :P
The Ceramic postings are about to be an new beginning for a bunch of other people who cannot afford the NEOs.

Cheers!
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Jerry

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Jerry;
Your are very welcome. I enjoy your posting of the different ways you "adjust" to the needs.
If you still have those very early pics of how you produce the blades from the PVC pipes, could you repost them?
I'm sure with ALL the newer people here they're gonna ask now that you've shown them.
Since I cannot erect a HAWT here in the city much over the size of a gopher thumper  ;D I can only read and dream  :P
The Ceramic postings are about to be an new beginning for a bunch of other people who cannot afford the NEOs.

Cheers!
Bruce S

Wooferhound located all  my 100s of pictures here. http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/90/   Good luck finding what your intrested. It will take a while. I've long lost all of those picture in my computer. The link listed is the only source. Thanks Woof.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
Made a littel progress today. Got the alt mounted firmly with just a littel lift in the front. Trying to give the blades a littel more tower clearence. Since I'm low on power cable I've decided to place the 2 fullwave bridges on the tail boom just behind the alt on a heatsink. I'll be using about 40 ft of 8ga. from the bridges to the batteries. A fuse at the battery + post ofcource. Not sure of fuse size yet? don't no what this thing can do?

Tower is also started. I'll take a few pictures during the tower lift. Hope to do that by this weekend? We'll see dano?

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »
Made a littel more progress today. I mounted the hand crank wench and top pulley on the tower plus  drilled mounting holes for the tilt up bearings.

Blades are balanced and the 2 fullwave bridges are mounted on a heatsink on the tail boom.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »
Made some progress on the tower today. I'm attaching a 2"X2" X 22ft steel tub to an existing 10ft section of a crank up tower that is firmly embedded into a 4ftX4ftX 2ft concrete base. At the top this (10ft) is secured to my 30ftX60ft shop. All I can say it aint goin no were. I built a pivot system using a 3/4" shaft and 4 each pillow bearing blocks. I've installed a 6" diameter pulley at the top of the 10ft section It feeds cable out to the 22ft mast and down to a hand crank wench.

Heres a picture.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »

Jerry