Author Topic: How to build big generator  (Read 16660 times)

windguy

Re: How to build big generator
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
""Just desing of the generator"     What is a desing ?

I mean like drawings and pictures. So i can look at them and build it.

WindyOne

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
By wind turbine i mean the thing were is rotor and stator. Last time, im not asking about poles or cranes or blades. Just desing of the generator. How hard it can be stay on the subject? Im just collecting information im not decided to do it yet so take it easy.

Try searching this website and other WIND websites for "10KW Wind Turbines".
10KW is more like Professional / Commercial Grade type equipment and not so much a DIY project.

windguy

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
By wind turbine i mean the thing were is rotor and stator. Last time, im not asking about poles or cranes or blades. Just desing of the generator. How hard it can be stay on the subject? Im just collecting information im not decided to do it yet so take it easy.

Try searching this website and other WIND websites for "10KW Wind Turbines".
10KW is more like Professional / Commercial Grade type equipment and not so much a DIY project.

I have searched already and i didnt find one, thats why i came here.

tanner0441

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
Hi Chris

I worded that wrong. I know you can't build a turbine and use the blades for synchronous running, the wind is too variable, but he doesn't want to do anything with it  he just wants to build it. It also seems he wants all the design work done for him. So maybe someone can design the electronics and give him a photograph.

If he looks on YouTube there are no end of photographs on big wind turbines he can take his pick, there are also a number of photographs of what happens when things go wrong.

Windguy. If you seriously attempt to build this project I suggest you take out the best third party insurance you can afford, and supply all your neighbours with Kevlar hats and ballistic vests.

Brian

windguy

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
Hi Chris

I worded that wrong. I know you can't build a turbine and use the blades for synchronous running, the wind is too variable, but he doesn't want to do anything with it  he just wants to build it. It also seems he wants all the design work done for him. So maybe someone can design the electronics and give him a photograph.

If he looks on YouTube there are no end of photographs on big wind turbines he can take his pick, there are also a number of photographs of what happens when things go wrong.

Windguy. If you seriously attempt to build this project I suggest you take out the best third party insurance you can afford, and supply all your neighbours with Kevlar hats and ballistic vests.

Brian

Thanks for your advice. This kind of pics im after:

To get idea of the basic principle of bigger generator.

bob golding

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
buy the book the guys running this forum have written and hugh piggotts one as well. then come back when you have read and understood them fully with some ideas of what you think is required for a 10kw turbine. if you have money you will be far better off buying a chinese one as already suggested. if you don't want to do that  suggest what you think is a good design. you will get a lot more  help that way. being hostile to experienced members is not the way to get help on here. it is frowned upon as many before you have found.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
Bruce, newbie section please? Windguy, you have a world class builder trying to give you advice and you want to pick a fight? There is almost nothing harder than effectively heating water with wind and Chris is one of the few that have figured it out.
Redundancy, is always a good thing, Another thing to consider is in order to build a machine that will average 10 kW output you would be talking about a utility scale machine.
So, I am here to tell you if you need posts with pictures, No, you cannot build a 10 kW machine.

I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

windguy

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
buy the book the guys running this forum have written and hugh piggotts one as well. then come back when you have read and understood them fully with some ideas of what you think is required for a 10kw turbine. if you have money you will be far better off buying a chinese one as already suggested. if you don't want to do that  suggest what you think is a good design. you will get a lot more  help that way. being hostile to experienced members is not the way to get help on here. it is frowned upon as many before you have found.

I dont like this experienced man attitude he is like spitting in to my face that how i feel it. The idea of building it is because it comes least expensive, that thing should pay itself back. sooner, better. Thats why ready unit is not an option to me. Is that alibaba chinese generator geared up and what kind of generator is it (stator, rotor)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:03:48 PM by windguy »

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147278.0.html, there ya go lots of pictures of a machine you wouldn't have a chance in hell of building, and that's about a 5-6 kW machine.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Payback, LOL, newbs ::)

windguy

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147278.0.html, there ya go lots of pictures of a machine you wouldn't have a chance in hell of building, and that's about a 5-6 kW machine.

Im not looking 5-6 kw. Im looking for 10-20kw. Are you sure you can read?

bob golding

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
how about 4 5kw ones? much  more reliable and now you have the pictures. LOL
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Yes I can read AND comprehend, something that seems to be in short supply in this thread.

windguy

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Yes I can read AND comprehend, something that seems to be in short supply in this thread.

Nice to know so stay on subject of this topics and tell me about 10-20kw generator stator and magnet leyout. But if you dont know nothing about it, turn of your computer or stay of this tread.

windguy

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

Nice to know so stay on subject of this topic and tell me about 10-20kw generator stator and magnet leyout. But if you dont know nothing about it, turn off your computer or keep out of this tread.

tanner0441

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
windguy...

You are right your turbine however much power it produces will most likely have a rotor  and a stator.

If you can manage to match your intelligence to your arrogance you will realise how much help and advice is actually being offered.

Brian.

Crispy

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice to know so stay on subject of this topic and tell me about 10-20kw generator stator and magnet leyout. But if you dont know nothing about it, turn off your computer or keep out of this tread.
[/quote]

Wow! The help should come pouring in now.........wait for it......wait for it............
My hair is smoldering for a reason, that's why I'm here.

windguy

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
windguy...

You are right your turbine however much power it produces will most likely have a rotor  and a stator.

If you can manage to match your intelligence to your arrogance you will realise how much help and advice is actually being offered.

Brian.

Im looking for stator and rotor layout for bigger generators.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 06:55:11 PM »
So scale that 5 kW machine up times two Einstein.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »
I dont like this experienced man attitude he is like spitting in to my face that how i feel it. The idea of building it is because it comes least expensive, that thing should pay itself back. sooner, better. Thats why ready unit is not an option to me.

Look, windguy - with experience comes wisdom and wisdom is many times something that people who don't any better don't like to hear.  It has nothing to do with spitting in anybody's face, and that is just the childish reaction to lack of experience.

I already told you upfront that you are NOT going to build a 10 kW axial generator.  I don't care if it's for battery charging or water heating or grid tie.  Dual rotor air core axials are not practical for that size class because they do not make optimum use of magnetic material unless you go to a toroid core ($$$$$$$$$$).

So I would suggest selling a few extra gallons of biofuel from your $1.5 million refinery to save up the money to buy one.  Quit asking for pictures or "plans" for one.  There is no such thing.  A home-built air core dual rotor axial capable of true continuous 10 kW output capacity would be so expensive, large and heavy that you could buy two commercially made radial type units for the cost of it.

I'm done here because this is going nowhere really fast.
--
Chris

Menelaos

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
Again,

Look at the Kukate Plans that I linked here and that you which can purchase on that website...there are the plans and there is a book in english language as well that you should read before or while you get the plans.

Those turbines are installed all over the world, especially in afrika and they are solid and run well. The plans are detailled but still have enough room for innovation and changes as they suggest a lot but need adjustments to whatever is available in your place. They are designed for use in 3. world countries so the structure complexity is not too high and most parts should be availlable wherever you are.

This really is the only "nearly recipe " that I know for that size of turbine that you are after...

But read the book first...about 300 pages of important stuff. Having read it, you will know how to judge your place, choose the right alternator and kind of alternator, determinde the Blades and get them matched to your alternator, gear box and application. It will probably take you 2 month of reading until you really understand everything you have read. Then buy the plans and get the parts sorted.

If you have questions or problems comming up, we will be happy to help you sorting them but I cannot find my cristal ball which is why I do not know what else to add to the staff that was already told you...

If you want to do it your way...ok...but then do not ask for help if you refuse to take it...

Good Luck
Max
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:47:31 PM by Menelaos »

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »
wow, this got out of hand quickly! 

windguy:  can you give us any reasons that you'd rather have one 10Kw machine over a few (well proven designs) 3-4Kw machines?  i'm just curious at his point.  even if the reason is "dramatic effect", that's at least a reason...

you could research they bergey XL 10.  very highly respected wind turbine in the 10Kw class. 

this thread is reminding me of a thread a few years back where a guy wanted to mount a 10Kw VAWT to his roof top, yet only wanted VAWT design info.  it makes it hard for us.  there's always gonna be the whole picture.  tower, footings, generator, blades, speed control ect.  it's just how it is. 

i know you don't want to hear that, but it is what it is.  no one is going to want to help you build a 23' machine if it's going on a 14' tower...  get it? 

adam

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
To all those who have tired to be helpful sorry, my new round of Alky was in need of tending to.
I am however going to save you some wasted time on this thread and lock it.

-----GM MODE----
Windguy;
TOP NOTCH  People from both sides of the big pond have been nice and tired to help explain this.
You must not be willing to listen therefore I'm not only locking this thread but I'm going to help you even further by have your account in the read-only section so you two can go read all the postings given to you.
YOU now have 30 days to learn some manners.
Unless another gives me a reason why I should be more lenient.

FAB, NOT Newb section, is in the right area for others who are NOT willing to take the time to even try and understand when  people truly are trying to help.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard