Author Topic: How to build big generator  (Read 16691 times)

windguy

How to build big generator
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
Im thinking of build little bigger generator like 10kw or more. What is to most reasonable way to do it? Can it be done with piggot style or is there better desings for big generators? Ive read that piggost style isn gonna skale up that mutch, is it true? How is new 10kw or bigger cenerators made, what is their desing?

Ps. There is too much verification on this website!  >:(

kenobrock

Re: How to build big generator
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »
I think the verification is needed to eliminate or cut down on spam. Another windmill forum web site I belong to had to completely lock the door if you were not already a member you had to know a member to have them post for you. That's the way things are today.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
Trust me: even after the verification, which I have notched down in at least one regard, 80% of registration requests are bogus (ie SPAMmers) and so I (or another mod/admin) have to manually approve/reject *every* application.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »
I don't know if you have any experience in building turbines or related machines but one thing you will quickly learn is that there is very little information on a build for a 10KW wind turbine.
 there are some manufactures of these to be sure.
 The home brew turbines will scale up to a point but as you have already found out there are limits as to just how far these can be reasonably scaled up.
 with a 10KW machine you are looking at a minimum of a 10 meter diameter turbine.
 Bergey manufacturing is probably the 1# in experience for the larger sized home generator systems in the US. Evoco energy co  UK is one of the few manufacturers in Europe with  Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) and UKAS verification Both companies offer a complete assistance program.
 Most on here are going to tell yo that you have a lot of homework to do before trying t obuild anything near that large and I am not going to tell you anything different.
 I have been researching and studying dozens of my own designs of a larger gernerater for a long time now and at this time out of 100s of computer aided designs I would not be comfortable in selecting any single one of them to build as of this date.
 Building a generator of the size you are asking about involves a lot more than just tossing a few dozen magnets on a disk or a cylindrical rotor and adding a bunch of copper winding's then figuring out how to spin it.
  I don't want to dampen your spirits in any way but I can tell you that so far I have read 100s of schematics on commercial designed engine driven generators, and have tried to understand the magnetic field strengths of different magnets, how many turns per volt per given amount of fluz lines how strong the field strength must be the size of the wire in the winding's how many poles is needed for a given RPM to produce what voltage / amps. Then there is the matter  of controlling all of this and converting it to usable output.
 Welcome aboard and good luck     
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

windguy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
I have only built 750w wind genrator, with windysnation 750w turbine and carved plades from wood. So i have not experience of building own generator. Thas why im asking how to do it in best way! I am educated eletrician and i am cabaple of doig metal work too. Im not affraid to build 10kw or bigger unit. Truth is small generator is not gonna save electric bill much.

Menelaos

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »
hi windguy,

The biggest alternator in size that I have built had around 8 KW rated power. I did also uild a 30 KW Unit but that one was even smaller in size and geared up.

In my opinion there are limits to the size of this type of alternator and bigger turbines ( and 10 KW to me is somewhat about 7-8 m diameter ) have plenty torque, even in low winds. If you use gearing then it will save you a lot of money, even if you use a commercial gear box and don not build it yourself like Chris Olson did.

There are also advantages when it comes to the resistance of the coils and so on...

A turbine of that size should definitively have a pitch control and / or at least a proper backup braking system, which I put behind the gear boy on the fast side of the shaft to have it brake effectively in high winds. Savety is a big issue for turbine of that dimension...!

Max

bob golding

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »
not an answer i am afraid, but as you in the desert and must have a fair amount of space i would have thought solar would be a better option. if you don't have a lot of space you shouldn't really be planning a turbine that size.
 i can see a few problems the biggest one being keeping sand out of it in a storm.  unless you use really well sealed bearings you will be changing them quite often which with a big turbine is a major undertaking. i know solar is not the most efficient in the sort of temperatures you get there in the summer i still think it is worth doing a cost analysis between the 2 before spending any money.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

windguy

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
hi windguy,

The biggest alternator in size that I have built had around 8 KW rated power. I did also uild a 30 KW Unit but that one was even smaller in size and geared up.

In my opinion there are limits to the size of this type of alternator and bigger turbines ( and 10 KW to me is somewhat about 7-8 m diameter ) have plenty torque, even in low winds. If you use gearing then it will save you a lot of money, even if you use a commercial gear box and don not build it yourself like Chris Olson did.

There are also advantages when it comes to the resistance of the coils and so on...

A turbine of that size should definitively have a pitch control and / or at least a proper backup braking system, which I put behind the gear boy on the fast side of the shaft to have it brake effectively in high winds. Savety is a big issue for turbine of that dimension...!

Max

That geared up thing sounds interesting, was it piggot style generator? I would like to see pictures of it!

Im not in desert i accidently selected wrong country. In here is cold winters. And i have lots of space it wouldnt be problem. And building generator isnt either. Im only for looking/asking desings.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
I would start with building one of the 10 footers our host sells. Think they still off the plans only. Or kits of parts but not sure how the back order situation is.

stratford4528

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
Why not build several smaller ones if you have the room. you could then make fibreglass blades from one mould. also if one broke down then you would still have power from the others.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 08:10:58 PM »
Im thinking of build little bigger generator like 10kw or more. What is to most reasonable way to do it?

There is no reasonable way.  10 kW is too large for battery charging.  You ain't gonna build no turbine that puts out over 200 amps to a 48V battery bank.  And you probably don't have enough money to buy a 48V battery bank that could handle that amount of charging amps even if you could.

So that only leaves grid-tie.  And all I can say there is "good luck" getting it approved.
--
Chris

Menelaos

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
I have a friend in spain, Fritz, he is also a member here and wrote some stuff...

He has 3 2.4 m Piggot style turbines installed, a 3 m turbine that I designed and a 4m turbine is to come soon that we already prepared when I went to spain in october.

Having several small turbines gives you independence. If you have to do maintenace work on one turbine, you still have a couple more that still deliver power which is a goof thing if u are planning to go off grid.

If you are interested in geared up turbines, have a look at chris olsons posts. He builds some great turbines that seem to work quite well and he did a good documentation and expainations on what he did and why he did things the way they are now...

Max

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
I have to agree with Max that several smaller turbines are more reliable, and easier to control in high winds.  The limiting factor is your battery bank.  The maximum practical charge rate is C/10.  So if you have a 200 amp wind turbine (assuming you can build such a thing) you need a 2,000 amp-hour battery bank for it.  That's 96 kWh, which is going to set you back around $17,000 US - just for the battery bank that could handle it.

With several smaller machines you have the option of shutting one or more down in high winds and still be able to get the power you want on lower wind days.  And with several smaller turbines working in parallel you don't need such gawd-awful big wiring to try to get 200 amps down a tall tower at low voltages.  This has been tried before and it is not very reliable due to the limitations of battery charging and transmitting power at low voltages.
--
Chris

windguy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 03:17:45 AM »
Im thinking of build little bigger generator like 10kw or more. What is to most reasonable way to do it?

There is no reasonable way.  10 kW is too large for battery charging.  You ain't gonna build no turbine that puts out over 200 amps to a 48V battery bank.  And you probably don't have enough money to buy a 48V battery bank that could handle that amount of charging amps even if you could.

So that only leaves grid-tie.  And all I can say there is "good luck" getting it approved.
--
Chris

Who said im gonna charge batteries? Im not gonna charge batteries with 30 kw generator.  Im gonna heat water with it or use inverter that put energy staright to the "electrik network" or both.

And nobody cant say to me you cant do this and you cant do that. I know what i can do and what i cant do. And if im gonna do something, i coddamit do it. And it is not only building wind turbine, its is everything in life. If you say i cant do it, thats your business, i dont give a *hit. When i started to carve wood plades to my small generator i got comments like "lol that not going to lead even a *uck. When i got my wind generator ready, i did not receive that kind of comments enymore. Sure bigger generator takes more work. And i dont know how you know how much money i have? Give me a brake man!

And making meny small ones takes more material and more work than a i big, i think. Making 20kw wind turbine you have to know 1000 things, this topic is not for that, this is only to look desing to generator, so please dont off topic.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:24:53 AM by windguy »

windguy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 03:30:27 AM »
I would start with building one of the 10 footers our host sells. Think they still off the plans only. Or kits of parts but not sure how the back order situation is.

Our host? what are you meaning by that? Sorry i got little bad english.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
10 Kw windgenerator  120 - 360 volt . Save you a lot of work.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/687764931/10KW_wind_turbine_price.html?s=p

Menelaos

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:13 AM »
Hey wind guy,

We do not want to judge your skills and the size of your wallet but a turbine of 10 KW and more in size is not only more material and work but also about safety. It can be done and people have done it.

In the past people seemed to be less worried...at least over here.
I have seen pictures of homebrew turbines from about 30 years ago. Some of them were great, some were scary.

There was a guy that built a 15m diameter turbine with blades made of garage doors on a 25m tower with a caardan comminhg all the way down ending up in a gear box of an old truck attached to an alternator which produced energy to make hydrogen. If the wind speed changed, he manually changed the gears with a big iron bar. That turbine was directly next to his house and had an own engine room where in earlier days there used to be a kitchen ;-)

It did work but it scared the $#|+ out of everybody that came to visit him...
For a turbine of that size you definitively need a good safety system with al least one backup. Furling will hardly work for those big turbines anymore as it is too slow, so you have to think about blade pitching and a strong meachanical brake that will fail on direct drive which is another reason why I suggested to gear up.

In my opinion a simple style wind turbine that runs safely without brake and pitch can be made with diameters limited to about 5m which equals to honest 4-5 KW for a grid tied unit and about 3 KW if hooked up to a battery.

Having 2 or 3 of those will definitively be  a lot more easy to build than a single turbine  with 8 or even 10 m diameter. You do not nessessarily need pitch control and mechanical brake and can still use furling for safety feature....see it that way.

Anyway there are plans for homebrew turbines of 8m diameter. That "KUKATE" type of wind turbine has developed over the last 20 years and proven. The plans come with CAD drawings and detailed instructions, just not sure if there is an english versin but I verry much think so. have a look here:

8m diameter with geared generator- verry slow turbine. It will produce about 8 KW at 9-10 m/s and is a really solid construction that runs safely as the rotor speed is verry low.

http://www.windenergie-technik-crome.de/KUKA7Sei.htm

Looking at those chinese turbines with no other than electric brake and without mechanical safety system or brake scares me...!

Max
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:09:39 AM by Menelaos »

windguy

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
Thanks for info Menelaos. Sure safety is 1 thing that have to be take care. Enybody know those chinese generator desing? Is there a gear up system? Wish i could look inside them.

windguy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
I have a friend in spain, Fritz, he is also a member here and wrote some stuff...

He has 3 2.4 m Piggot style turbines installed, a 3 m turbine that I designed and a 4m turbine is to come soon that we already prepared when I went to spain in october.

Having several small turbines gives you independence. If you have to do maintenace work on one turbine, you still have a couple more that still deliver power which is a goof thing if u are planning to go off grid.

If you are interested in geared up turbines, have a look at chris olsons posts. He builds some great turbines that seem to work quite well and he did a good documentation and expainations on what he did and why he did things the way they are now...

Max

What is chris olson username in this forum? I didnt find it with google.

edit: i found it.

windguy

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:52 AM »
How about using 10kw induction motor as converted to pma? I already have couple of them(induction motors), so they would be kind of free to me. But i dont have knowledge what size magnets it needs etc.

Menelaos

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
Chris did already answear in this post user name is ChrisOlson :-D Look at the top.

Servomotors make really good alernators for geared up machines...like these:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/INDRAMAT-MKD-041B-144-KG1-KN-Servomotor-Permanent-Magnet-Motor-/261156090696?pt=Motoren_Getriebe&hash=item3cce1db348#ht_500wt_966

There are really big ones available that would suit.
The kukate style turbines have enormous torque, you could also use a big standard asynchrony motor but you then only have 1 stage, maximum 2 stages of rpm and less efficiency...but they are really cheap. You also wouldn't need an inverter as they are directly hooked up to the power line.

Max

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
you may want to have a read of these threads of overcoming some of the pitfalls of using a large induction motor
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146950.0.html
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,143554.0.html
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »
Who said im gonna charge batteries? Im not gonna charge batteries with 30 kw generator.  Im gonna heat water with it or use inverter that put energy staright to the "electrik network" or both.

This is what you asked:
Im thinking of build little bigger generator like 10kw or more. What is to most reasonable way to do it? Can it be done with piggot style or is there better desings for big generators?

FYI, Hugh Piggot-style machines are designed for battery charging.  Since you failed to provide the proper information and are asking about scaling up a Piggot-style machine, one can only assume you are doing off-grid battery charging with it.

I have a rebuilt 10 kW Jacobs 23-10 with new Jacobs glass blades on it and a new 1.75 governor.  The new blades were $10,800 US and the new governor was $3,900 US.  I made several other improvements to it as well - replaced the original brake with a new rotor and caliper, replaced the driveline that had the u-joints in it with a new one with big LoveJoy couplers, rebuilt the gearhead and machined double snap grooves in the mainshaft, as well as several other upgrades.  It has a 12.5 kW Fidelity 12-lead generator with outboard exciter and it runs at 40-180 volts three-phase and the rotor (23 foot diameter) is governed at 220 rpm.

I also have the original 240V split phase inverter for it, with the choke.  However, the inverter is blown.  We are off-grid and I was going to build a "mini-grid" with it to power our place but could not come up with a suitable inverter for it for less than about $20,000 US.  So we went with a cogen diesel generator instead.

I want $85,000 US for it, with the 90 foot Rohn SSV tower.  The turbine weighs roughly 2 tons.  The tower is roughly 3.5 tons.  The tower is hinged and I pulled the tower up with a 40 foot gin with my Cat Challenger.  The Challenger would only put about 25,000 lbs of pull on the cable and the tracks spun out with the turbine on it so I raised the tower bare and put the turbine on it with a crane.  There's some photos of it someplace on the board here of when I was putting it up with a crane after I rebuilt it.

I also have a second 23-10 Jake that suffered a tower strike back in the late 80's and blew all the blades off it.  That turbine needs to be rebuilt and has a 90 foot Jacobs angle iron tower with it.  It has some severe gearbox damage from the tower strike and will need a new ring and pinion gearset in it.  It has a 1.25 governor and that will need to be replaced too because all the governor shafts are bent after the tower strike.  I want $16,000 US for that one, as is, with the tower, which is basically my cost in it with crane time and trucking after I got it down and hauled home.

You have zero experience with big turbines.  So I'll clue you in.  You can put up a light duty machine that won't last and be so dangerous you wouldn't want to be within a quarter mile of it when it's running.  But if you put up a 10 kW class machine that is going to stand up to 100+ mph winds there is not a single piece or assembly on them that can be handled without either an overhead crane or a forklift.  Building a 750 watt "WindyNation" is not the prerequisite experience to stepping up to a 10 kW class machine.  The blade governor alone on a Jake 23-10 is bigger and heavier than your whole 750 watt "WindyNation" by several times.  So unless you have access to cranes, overhead lifting equipment, tracked vehicles, and have spent most of your life working around heavy stuff, you are in over your head - no matter how good you think you are.
--
Chris

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »

--
Chris

And nobody cant say to me you cant do this and you cant do that. I know what i can do and what i cant do. And if im gonna do something, i coddamit do it. And it is not only building wind turbine, its is everything in life. If you say i cant do it, thats your business, i dont give a *hit. When i started to carve wood plades to my small generator i got comments like "lol that not going to lead even a *uck. When i got my wind generator ready, i did not receive that kind of comments enymore. Sure bigger generator takes more work. And i dont know how you know how much money i have? Give me a brake man!

And making meny small ones takes more material and more work than a i big, i think. Making 20kw wind turbine you have to know 1000 things, this topic is not for that, this is only to look desing to generator, so please dont off topic.
Being that you're new here, I'm going to let this one time slide by.
Next post like this when experienced people are trying to be helpful will get you on the bad side of staff quickly.
IF your English is good enough to put this crap up here   >:( it's good enough understand what they're trying to say.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
Being that you're new here, I'm going to let this one time slide by.

Bruce - don't be too hard on the new guy.  LOL!

We've all seen these folks here that build a pinwheel turbine then think they can throw up a 10K machine.  And most of them have never seen a real 10 kW wind turbine close up in their life, much less worked on one.  Building the pinwheel turbines tends to give them a false sense of "it just needs to be bigger".    ;D

But the facts are for a 7 meter class machine that at 12 m/s you have 15 kW at the shaft of a 7 meter rotor running at Cp .39.  That's easy enough to handle with a generator and power transmission system that's overall 67% efficient because you get 10 kW useable power.  What the newbies fail to realize is that turbine is someday going to run in a storm at 100 mph (45 m/s) wind speed and then you have an incredible 700 kW of power available at the shaft if it's not being limited by a variable pitch governor.  That's over 900hp at the shaft, which at the low rpm that wind turbines run at is thousands and thousands of lb-ft of torque.

Keeping that under control so your puny little 10 kW generator can handle it is the hard part with big turbines.  Unless you use a full variable pitch governor (aka Jacobs et al), or flexible blades (aka Bergey PowerFlex), you are not going to control it with a simple side furling design.  Period.  At that point the machine becomes more dangerous than a armed bomb with enough explosive force if it comes apart to destroy entire buildings.

windguy's little tirade already showed me he does NOT have the required experience with wind power to build such a machine.  Therefore if he wants a 10 kW class machine he is better off to buy one that has been properly engineered and is safe.  And now you are into a new area of education in wind power - cost.  We are no longer talking about a $1,000 pinwheel on a guyed up piece of pipe.  We are talking $20,000 JUST for a tower.

Oh yeah, you can cobble one together alright.  But it'll laying on the ground and hopefully nobody gets hurt when a 1-2 ton turbine comes crashing to the earth from 90 feet up.
--
Chris

bob golding

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:41 PM »
a friend of mine build a 10 kw machine. i saw it on the ground where it still sits going rusty. it is about 20 foot long weighs about a ton and is a big chunk of steel. he is a engineer and a farmer just like chris ;) and he could not control the thing in the winter, which is why it is on the ground.  he had it on a short tower as he is on the coast overlooking the sea and about 300 foot up, so his tower is really 325  feet tall. he now has a chinese made one. he never could get the homebrew one to work properly. all his blades delaminated in the end. just to give you some idea of what you are planning. it used a 15 kw alternator and a hydraulic torque converter  driving a 50 to one step up gearbox. it was very well engineered and thought out but even then it was a pig to keep running properly. just so you know....
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

tanner0441

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
As I see it. All he wants to do is build a 10KW wind turbine. He has asked how to build it, but not how to mount it and on what sort of mast, what voltage to go for to keep cable sizes down. No mention of inverters, you wont be plugging it in on a suicide lead. For that sort of power even the switchgear needs to be heavy duty.  How many hours a day does he expect the rated output.

If he has access to 10KW motors why not look at synchronous with blades that size.

Brian

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »
If he has access to 10KW motors why not look at synchronous with blades that size.

There is no such thing as sychronous blades.  A 10 kW induction generator turbine is easy enough to build - the electronics to control it and keep it online aren't.  The first thing you have to to do grid tie one is get it approved.  You can't just plug it in.

An induction motor "pushing" power back into the grid does so by running at slightly higher voltage while its sine waves are in sync with your three-phase service.  So the thing is running at 20 mph and 50 Hz @ 410 volt on a European 400V three-phase service and suddenly a 40 mph gust front hits it.  The voltage spikes and you blow transformers and some of your neighbor's equipment up.  This is where the electronics in a synchronous induction generator type turbine come in, to prevent that type of stuff.

You'll have the Grid Cops knocking on your door if you just "hook one up" without approved and certified controls on it - and a way for the utility to lock it out when they have to service lines.

With big turbines, no matter what you do, all it takes is money.  Cubic truckloads of it, and you can do anything you want.  You're far outside the realm of "homebrew" when you start talking about 10 kW grid-tied machines because few people on earth have the money to mess with them.  You're much better off installing 10 kW of solar panels instead because they don't have the problem of putting out 700 kW in a storm - and the solar panels will be cheaper than just the tower for a 10 kW turbine.
--
Chris

WindyOne

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »

You have zero experience with big turbines.  So I'll clue you in.  ...    Building a 750 watt "WindyNation" is not the prerequisite experience to stepping up to a 10 kW class machine ...
--
Chris

Chris,
 Agreed, but you did not state what the "prerequisite" is ...

Windguy,
 If a person has built a 7' @ 870 watt wind turbine ...
 How about a 40% increase in the rotor size for the next turbine and so on.
 Each 40% increase will cause a doubling of the power.
 A doubling of the power will eventually find all your engineering weak points.

Here are the "courses" you need to take to graduate from Wind Turbine University...
 Next build a 10' @   1,778 watt wind turbine = Freshman
 Next build a 14' @   3,484 watt wind turbine = Sophomore
 Next build a 20' @   7,112 watt wind turbine = Junior
 Next build a 23' @ 10,000 watt wind turbine = Senior

I use the "cheat formula" of Watts = 17.78 x Diameter ^ 2
 ( diameter is in feet, wind is 25 mph and Cp is something reasonable  )

Building four wind turbines is a lot more work than just building one 23' Wind Turbine but it will prove whether YOU do or do not have the mechanical, aerodynamic and electrical knowledge, skills, and tools to proceed.  If / when you "graduate" from a lower class of wind turbines then you deserve a chance to advance to the next higher class. But, if you cannot build and successfully fly a 10 footer then you should not even consider building a 14 footer, a 20 footer or worse a 23 footer. If you can successfully build and fly a 10 footer then by all means proceed to the 14' wind turbine and beyond.

I think that is a reasonable plan. I will not judge you. I do not know whether you can or cannot build a 10 KW Wind Turbine. I hope you can! I do suggest that you try a systematic approach and you let us know how far you actually get. OK?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:57:03 PM by WindyOne »

windguy

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
By wind turbine i mean the thing were is rotor and stator. Last time, im not asking about poles or cranes or blades. Just desing of the generator. How hard it can be stay on the subject? Im just collecting information im not decided to do it yet so take it easy.

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
""Just desing of the generator"     What is a desing ?

windguy

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »

This is what you asked:
Im thinking of build little bigger generator like 10kw or more. What is to most reasonable way to do it? Can it be done with piggot style or is there better desings for big generators?

FYI, Hugh Piggot-style machines are designed for battery charging.  Since you failed to provide the proper information and are asking about scaling up a Piggot-style machine, one can only assume you are doing off-grid battery charging with it.

I have a rebuilt 10 kW Jacobs 23-10 with new Jacobs glass blades on it and a new 1.75 governor.  The new blades were $10,800 US and the new governor was $3,900 US.  I made several other improvements to it as well - replaced the original brake with a new rotor and caliper, replaced the driveline that had the u-joints in it with a new one with big LoveJoy couplers, rebuilt the gearhead and machined double snap grooves in the mainshaft, as well as several other upgrades.  It has a 12.5 kW Fidelity 12-lead generator with outboard exciter and it runs at 40-180 volts three-phase and the rotor (23 foot diameter) is governed at 220 rpm.

I also have the original 240V split phase inverter for it, with the choke.  However, the inverter is blown.  We are off-grid and I was going to build a "mini-grid" with it to power our place but could not come up with a suitable inverter for it for less than about $20,000 US.  So we went with a cogen diesel generator instead.

I want $85,000 US for it, with the 90 foot Rohn SSV tower.  The turbine weighs roughly 2 tons.  The tower is roughly 3.5 tons.  The tower is hinged and I pulled the tower up with a 40 foot gin with my Cat Challenger.  The Challenger would only put about 25,000 lbs of pull on the cable and the tracks spun out with the turbine on it so I raised the tower bare and put the turbine on it with a crane.  There's some photos of it someplace on the board here of when I was putting it up with a crane after I rebuilt it.

I also have a second 23-10 Jake that suffered a tower strike back in the late 80's and blew all the blades off it.  That turbine needs to be rebuilt and has a 90 foot Jacobs angle iron tower with it.  It has some severe gearbox damage from the tower strike and will need a new ring and pinion gearset in it.  It has a 1.25 governor and that will need to be replaced too because all the governor shafts are bent after the tower strike.  I want $16,000 US for that one, as is, with the tower, which is basically my cost in it with crane time and trucking after I got it down and hauled home.

You have zero experience with big turbines.  So I'll clue you in.  You can put up a light duty machine that won't last and be so dangerous you wouldn't want to be within a quarter mile of it when it's running.  But if you put up a 10 kW class machine that is going to stand up to 100+ mph winds there is not a single piece or assembly on them that can be handled without either an overhead crane or a forklift.  Building a 750 watt "WindyNation" is not the prerequisite experience to stepping up to a 10 kW class machine.  The blade governor alone on a Jake 23-10 is bigger and heavier than your whole 750 watt "WindyNation" by several times.  So unless you have access to cranes, overhead lifting equipment, tracked vehicles, and have spent most of your life working around heavy stuff, you are in over your head - no matter how good you think you are.
--
Chris

I have lifted 100 feet smokestack to my 2,5MW biopower plant, so yes i have lifting equipment. And it is bigger that your 10kw wind turbine. And if you are showing off the prices, my plant cost 1.5 million dollars, so yes i have money too.