Author Topic: Hugh Piggot 4ft wind generator.  (Read 4982 times)

Jerry

Hugh Piggot 4ft wind generator.
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:00:49 AM »

Jerry

Re: Hugh Piggot 4ft wind generator.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 12:13:14 AM »
This is the second time I've posted a story but only the pictures post???

This is an extra Hugh Piggot 4ft wind generator I've built. The machine is built to Hugh,s specs. He had university wind tunnel test this unit. The test #s were, 5 mph 0 watts , 10 mph 20 watt, 15 mph 50 watts, 20 mph 140 watts, 25 mph 230 watts and 30 mph 350 watts.

I've actual pushed it to over 1000 watts in my wind test truck without any thermal problems. Its coil are wound 2 in hand. This allows 12v, 24v and IRP 12 volt use. The blades are hand carved laminated wood and balanced. However the blades are still raw wood with no paint or sealer. This machine has never been flown. It needs a yaw system, rectifiers, furling, tail boom and wing.

This unit is a single rotor. An added second rotor and larger blade would greatly increase its power. I feel for time spent and parts involved $200 is a fair price.

Jerry

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:06:44 AM »
jerry-
i'd like dibs on this until you get back to me at least.  what wind speed would you estimate it to cut in for a 24v nom. bank?? 

the mill i built cuts in a little late, though pushes good amps in higher winds.  i'd like to supplement it with a smaller jobbie that can "trickle" charge the batteries in lower winds...  say 14mph or less. 

would you say this would be a good fit? 

adam

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
If birdhouse doesn't take this I call second dibs on it.

After the holidays, of course so my cash supply can recover from the holiday hit it took.. :o ::)

Tom

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:33 AM »
Jerry;
 I'm NOT calling 3rds on this as the CITY would just come out and hand me another nice little fine  >:(.
However on the pics and word posting. I've been have a few "little" problems and have found that if I do the preview before posting, it makes it 99% of the time.
Hope that helps;
Merry Christmas!!
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
hey jerry do you still make your pvc blades and rotors ..might be a good match up for my little simplex gen...
WILD in ALASKA

Jerry

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
jerry-
i'd like dibs on this until you get back to me at least.  what wind speed would you estimate it to cut in for a 24v nom. bank?? 

the mill i built cuts in a little late, though pushes good amps in higher winds.  i'd like to supplement it with a smaller jobbie that can "trickle" charge the batteries in lower winds...  say 14mph or less. 

would you say this would be a good fit? 

adam

This unit should cutin around 7 to 8 mph. This would be a great fit. This unit could be left up and running at your cabin. I think you bring the big genny down when you leave your don't you?

I'll PM you.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:29 PM »
hey jerry do you still make your pvc blades and rotors ..might be a good match up for my little simplex gen...

Yes hiker I still make the ABS "Jerry Blades". I also have a set of foamp pipe blades that should be a good match. What diameter are you needing?

Jerry

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
jerry-
pm-d ya back.  i'm 99.9% sure i'll take it.

i leave my larger (8.5' dia) mill up on the tower when i leave, but i short it.  haven't had any problems as of yet.  looking forward to get more dedicated rigging so i can raise and lower without a truck and easily/quickly.  next year... 

i do think this unit will provide small amounts of power when my other mill has yet to cut in.  a perfect errr wife and husband???

adam