Author Topic: New alloy converts heat directly into electricity  (Read 2782 times)

Rob

New alloy converts heat directly into electricity
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »
Just something I found while surfing the net. Thought some people might be interested, I know I did, just imagine the positive impacts this could have on everyday living
and environmental solutions this could offer.

Wasn't real sure about posting links here. I tried to find the do's and don'ts on posting, so if they're any problems, I just like to say sorry in advance.
popsci.com/technology/article/2011-06/new-alloy-can-convert-heat-directly-electricity

artv

Re: New alloy converts heat directly into electricity
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
Hi Rob,...I qickly read the first couple paragraphs ....Very Interesting :)
I'll be reading for awhile....I had to type the address into the search bar though, I couldn't click on the link in your post :-\

Thanks for the story.......artv

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »
It sounds like it is a material that undergoes a phase change from a non-magnetic state to a magnetized state at a useful temperature.  That is not direct conversion of heat to useful electricity though.  Current can be induced in a conductor by exposing it to a changing magnetic field such as we do here with the wind turbines on this site.  I would think that in order to generate electricity with such a material as this, one would have to have a method of cycling the material from a temperature below the phase change point, to one above and back again repeatedly, thereby creating a changing magnetic field that would be useful for inducing a current in a coil exposed to that changing field.  The phase change is powered by the random kinetic energy of the individual molecules in its structure as the material warms, and the energy drawn off as electrical energy would only be a small portion of what is contained in the waste heat.  Because the temperature of the material would rise and drop more rapidly with a larger temperature change, everything else being equal, the operation of a theoretical generator based on this idea would be more practical if the temperature difference between the hot and cool sides were larger.  This is just a different concept of a heat engine, in general, powered by the mixing of warmer and cooler temperatures to a condition with higher entropy.  Although the mechanics are different, potentially allowing for different applications, the rules governing how much power could be obtained with 100% efficiency would not be different than for a sterling engine I would think.  Rich 
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

roosaw

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
Since it is a feroelectric it probably cools when providing electricity so it really only needs to be heated to provide a "battery type" output.   If you are familiar with bi-metal junctions producing electricity when the two junctions are held at different temps you get the idea. 
take two copper wires and connect them with a steel one.  put one junction in ice and the other heat with a flame and you get a voltage across the two copper ends.  The ice melts and the hot junction cools down.
feroelectricy is just the microscopic version of the above.  similar to feromagnitism being similar to a coil of wire.

Iron is such a useful material
Leadership must be taken, it cannot be given

Rob

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
Well, I had to reread the article. I wasn't sure If I had read it right, but it is a multiferroic and a ferroelectric material.Though I'm not really familiar with those terms. from what I
did read, Both of you are correct, It does become magnetic and it also produces electricity just by exposing it to heat. Either way, its  a promising technology.

Unlike a sterling engine, I could envision less moving parts. Also it could be more practical than a wind turbine, for those of us who live in areas where they're just a lesser possibility.
Like a peltier device, I didn't read that it needs a heat differential.

Thanks for the replies Guys
obviously I need to read up