Author Topic: Servo or ECM Generator for Hydro Power  (Read 6061 times)

wilfor03

• USA: Union Grove, Alabama
Servo or ECM Generator for Hydro Power
« on: January 07, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
Just a question or a thought......has anyone used a Servo motor or Modified ECM motor yet for a Pelton type power generator?

I would think the rpm's would be high enough to do some pretty good generating power?

I know they've used the home built 3 phase types and F&P's but I just haven't found anything about the servos and ECM's?

Just curious.......

Bill
Bill

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Servo or ECM Generator for Hydro Power
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
i'm a big fan of using three phase servos for power generation.  with enough looking on ebay, they're cheap, built VERY well, have huge bearings, and are virtually ready to go right out of the box. 

there's a member here 97fishmt that has much more experience with the "good ones" to buy.  i used a servo for my 8.5' wind turbine.  it hits 24VDC at ~220rpm.  have seen 700 watts out of it.  the servo i used is a ~60lb Fanuc brand. 

what's youer bank voltage and target rpm of the wheel?

adam

wilfor03

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »
Hey Birdhouse....

Haven't build any thing yet.......got a small creek back behind the house, mostly through the winter months and was "considering" a play with hydro.

Either a pelton or a waterwheel geared up with a servo or a ECM for power. Just another "toy" project.

I'm still running a 12vdc back up system with 3 big 8D interstate battery's. Soon to be 6-6vdc deep cycles from Sam's Club.

I've got a spare servo I bought off of FleaBay a while back (230vac, 600w-3000 rpm) and just hate that it's sitting around collecting dust.

Just curious/anxious to put it to good use somehow.

Yea, been watching 97fishmt's entries for quite a while also.  He's done a LOT of great things with those servo's.

Bill
Bill

Rover

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »
Hello,

Although I like ECM's for simplicity etc, going into a 12 volt battery bank expect 200W or less. I've only used them for wind , but bench tests (rewired for 12V) suggest that they may not be a good option depending on what you expect.

Rover
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »
Here is where I am trying an ECM motor for hydro.
http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=87836b9959198f81b8e9b2ee2e50606f&topic=143584.18

Still working on it. Really just need the battery. I have the 12 volt 3000 watt puresine inverter and other parts.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »

Although I like ECM's for simplicity etc, going into a 12 volt battery bank expect 200W or less. I've only used them for wind , but bench tests (rewired for 12V) suggest that they may not be a good option depending on what you expect.

I don't know about that "200W or less" part.
Pelton means fast.
Given Jerry's results at high RPM, seems like break the coil seperation down far enough and I think an ECM could work out pretty well.

Norm's ECM pedgen would be the inverse example?  It is not running very fast, simply cut the star point and IRP (Jerry Rigged) the 3-phases, he can do 60W easy for a long time, and he ain't no spring chicken.

'Too Fast' might have issues with inductive reactance issues in the coils, but I think it would have to be a lot faster than when it shows up with an F&P or high voltage / lower HP servo motors.

Bill,
How fast are we talking about, and what kind of head and flow are we talking about?

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:01:31 AM »
i agree with G.  200 w is easily obtainable.  1Kw is even easily had provided the right motor.  i'm not talking about treadmill motors, but rather industrial 3 phase PM motors with big time torque ratings.  if you can find the right motor and the right blade/pelton match, there is little limitation of up to 2Kw i'd say. 

these motors are in the 60lb plus range and are around $3-5000 new.  ebay is your friend on this one. 

adam 

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
I 'think' you could get 1,000W out of an ECM, or more, at high speeds like a Pelton works, with the proper modifications.
It would need more coil separation than for wind.  Same idea, just repeated in parallel.

Obviously, the water would need to be able to deliver the power.
G-

wilfor03

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Bummer, here!!  The fella that owns the creek behind the house really doesn't want anything in his creek waterway/property,

sooooo, I guess the whole "dream" part is gone for now. The creek fills a five gallon bucket in about 3 seconds, too! I guess

I'll just stick to the wind and solar to play with......but, I appreciate all the comments and advice....Thanks everyone.....

Bill
Bill

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:46:28 PM »
Did you give him some big fancy explaination of all the tech stuff?
That's usually not a good idea.

I belive most people wouldn't mind so much if you had half a 5 gallon pail in the water fall, connected to maybe a piece of sink drain pipe, spraying some water on an old furnace motor, to see if you could charge a battery.
It sounds less frightening.  Better chance of getting permission, even if you sound like a crackpot.
G-

wilfor03

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
Did you give him some big fancy explaination of all the tech stuff?
That's usually not a good idea. G-

Yea, I did, because he asked me a lot of questions. That's what happens when you get 2 old farts together talking!  ;D

The more I told 'em, the more he frowned. Oh well, guess I just need to find some property with a waterfall, buy it,

THEN, build/experiment with hydro, eh?  :D Just kidding......maybe in the spring I can talk to his daughter and get something

going that way. It was worth the effort to get his permission. It's just an adventure, that's all!!!   :'(

Bill
Bill