Author Topic: Steam power  (Read 3073 times)

wildbill hickup

Steam power
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
It's been awhile since I have posted anything on the site but I have had many changes to my life in the past months. Nuf of that. I have spent much of that time re-evaluating my life and goals and for awhile I got kind of lost. Well I'm back. Just recently I returned to work on my Changfa Diesel Genset that I built a couple of years ago, it still works great but is kinda crude. In addition to that it depends on a limited fuel supply (diesel/veggy oil). I started thinking about steam after and offer of a supercharger or blower at my disposal.

I guess my question is to the engineers out there. Is ther a way to calculate the potential horse power of a reverse engineered mechanical supercharger? The bearings on this unit are externaly lubericated and I would be powering this with steam produced by a wood fired boiler driving a 15K genset. I don't have the specific data on the blower right at hand but i wonder if this is even is worth persueing. All I know at this point is it is refered to a #4 blower. The 'blower' actually servered as a vacume unit in a comercial carpet cleaning machine. It was replaced by a #5 blower for more lift volume but works fine.

I know I have not provided much info, but ideas would be a help.

Wildbill

kevbo

Re: Steam power
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »
If you have a diesel running veg oil already, messing with steam is going to be pretty unproductive.  Railroads moved to diesels because they were more efficient, AND you didn't have to keep stopping for water.  Some of the last steam locomotives were turbines, and those could run condensers and solve the water supply problem, but the diesels still used less fuel.

That said, I loves me some steam power, and certainly "get" doing something just because you are of a mind to.

A roots blower probably is a poor candidate for a steam engine:

1) I can't think of a workable way to control the cutoff.  To make an efficient steam engine, the inlet valve needs to close before the volume expands very much.  Most piston engines can vary the cutoff using a Walscharts (sp?) or Stephenson valve linkage.  This is the economical way to control the power output....A simple throttle valve just wastes most of the power in the steam.  With just the rotor lobe passing the inlet, you can't vary the cutoff, and you will probably have to extend the housing to the point that the intake port is very small in order to get a low cutoff, and reasonable expansion and economy.  That extension will need to fit as closely to the rotors as the current housing.

2) Seals on a roots blower are always a problem.  They rely on close tolerances between the rotor lobes and the housing, and between the two rotors.  When you add in the temperature swings a steam engine needs to support it is going to be a real problem getting it to seal well enough to be somewhat efficient, yet not crash.

3) The rotors are pretty massive and move directly from outlet (cool) to inlet (hot).  This is a problem well known in reciprocating engines, and is partially solved by unilflow designs, but even those still have a problem with the piston "leaking" heat between exhaust and intake.  The housings are aluminum to try to match the thermal expansion of the aluminum rotors...so the housing is an excellent heat leak between exhaust and intake as well.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Kevbo makes some good points, I agree with alot of that.

I have been working on steam engines for about 16 years, most likely it will take another 4 years before I reach my design goal. Heres a video of one of my prototypes from a few years back.

ACB R&D 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZasy9XNbYU

Also, this is a really good project that on of my steam engine peers is currently working on-

http://steamautomobile.com/phorum5214/read.php?1,19115

Have fun and be safe

JW

wildbill hickup

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »
Thanks guys for your posts. Kevbo, some other drawbacks have been pointed out to me since I posted. Looks like I'll scratch that Idea. JW The video's you posted were great. I was particularly interested in the 2 stroke conversion and realized I'd better start small. I've got an old chainsaw that I don't use anymore just ichin' to get torn appart. That will have to wait though for awhile. Right now I'm working on a preheater for the Chanfa. Trying to run on WVO in Vermont in Janurary is quite a challlange. I'm about half way there and actually just finished my second 10 hour run this week, best I have done so far is 75% WVO 25% off road diesel. I'll figure it out, just amatter of time. Thanks again for your posts
 ;D