Author Topic: New guy looking for guidance  (Read 2279 times)

norseman

New guy looking for guidance
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
Hello All. I reside in Suffolk VA, have a small drainage ditch in the rear of the property that has water flowing 9 or 10 month out of the year. My thought, if rational, would be to set up a water wheel to power a DC motor out of a treadmill, 90 VDC, 13.9 amps at 3000 rpm, 1 1/2 horse. With little fall i figured to build a spillway and funnel the flow to spin a 24 inch wheel which in turn would power the DC motor. I have lots of questions but first would like thoughts on the feasibility.
Thank you

Isaiah

Re: New guy looking for guidance
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
 look for a better motor 90 volts dc and 3000 will need around 500 rpm to make usable  voltage to charge a 12 volt battery.
 look for a ac servo  motor with a higher voltage like 240 and 2000 rpm or less and 10 amps or more a motor with 240 vdc and 2000 rpm will be making usable voltage at125 rpm would be a lot easier to do with you 10 mile per hr stream,
Isaiah

2000 divided by 240 =8.3 rpm per volt x 15 volts to charge battery  =124.999 rpm
 Hope this helps

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
Re: New guy looking for guidance
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
The total fall in feet of head, and the flow of water in gallons per minute are your starting factors.    Enough of either and you can make power.

A drainage ditch was engineered with little fall, and you may run afoul of the authorities if you obstruct it with a low dam, for you effectively reduce its capacity.   The folks upstream will not like you after heavy rains.

If you don't care how badly they will treat you once you dam it up, you need to look at LOW HEAD hydro systems.  A small reaction turbine may be your best option, as every bit of its area is working to produce power.   I am  not sure there will be enough flow to do much with in that setting

Turtle
soli deo gloria