Author Topic: 240 watts of Solar Synergy panels ordered  (Read 25325 times)

epsgunner

Re: 240 watts of Solar Synergy panels ordered
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
MorningStar TS-60.. the faceplate gives a little more info.. IMHO... the Xantrex.. and a 5 year warranty vs. 2 yr with Xantrex.

Try NAPA 8144 (186ah) or NAPA 8146 (225ah) for batteries.. these are 6v.. but the 8144 is $136 without a core..

I'm going to try a Walmart Maxxx 29 series when my controller and 12v panel get here to play with..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:18:07 PM by epsgunner »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
Went with a Morningstar MPPT-45 and a pair of 6v 232AH batteries, 2 more batteries will be picked up next month when it all gets installed.

vtpeaknik

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »
Regarding the roof pitch issue, there are some choices you can make, besides stand-up frames on roof or ground:
(1) Install flat on the 15-deg roof part and get good output in summer, not much in winter.
(2) Install on the 75-deg part for good winter performance (if facing south), not much in summer.
(3) Install some of each!

I have a similar roof.  My first set of panels (2 x 180W) I installed at 45 degrees tilt on the top roof, using unirac components.  It is attached to the standing-seam metal roofing using S-5 clamps.  The hardware cost a fair bit, and also I get worried every time the wind blows, even though it's designed for the task, and has withstood all the gusts in 4 years now.  (Nothing much above 50 mph here though.)

I got a second pair of panels more recently and decided to mount them flat on the top roof (about 15 deg).  They will only work in the summer, but at $1/watt they are worth it anyway, and "real" mounting would cost more than the panels!  If I were to start over, I might have put the first pair flat on the steep part of the roof and call them winter panels.  The 45-deg ones, too, get partially snow-covered in winter so my winter output is minimal, unless I want to climb onto the roof and shovel the snow off the panels - can't reach them otherwise.  This is a backup power system so I'd only do it in case of an extended grid outage.  Had they been on the 75-deg roofing, the snow would slide off (and I could reach them with a roof rake).

Separate charge controllers for the two sets of panels, BTW.  That's essential if the panels are rather different, or if their mounting is different.  Therefore I can see that, this time of year, early in the day (and perhaps late in the day too) the 15-deg ones give more power than the 45-deg ones!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
I have to maximize my output with my tiny budget so just 1 set of panels. Frame will be hinged so I can adjust tilt from summer to winter.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »
Just scored 150 feet of black #6 wire for $90, now to find some red....

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »
Added the red today for $140. Ordered 6 concrete anchors for 4x4's. Debating if I want the complexity of adjustable tilt or go fixed 45 degrees. I am at 44.5 north.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
i would go with tilt mount.  guessing at 45deg.  you get snow??  if so, setting them at 60 deg. in the winter helps to shed snow and or let the sun bake it off more easily. 

i'm at 43deg and made my mount tiltable from about 55 deg to 30deg.  i only adjust it a few times a year, but the snow thing is why i really like the tilt mount!

adam

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
I should add I deal with high winds a lot. Sustained over 30 today and gusting over 50mph. 90mph once a summer usually.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 01:18:35 AM »
Going with fixed 45 degree angle to deal with the wind. Rented an auger today for the 4 12 inch diameter x 4 foot deep footings. New one called a Dingo that is a mini walk behind skid loader. 4 holes in 35 minutes, I am never doing holes any other way! Hope to pour concrete on Monday or Tuesday depending on how much I get done this weekend with setting up the short sonotube sections for the top.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
Just wish I had the space and I'd have more PV up in no time!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Installed and running!

The bad: My samlex inverter fan sounds like a jet engine.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
nice work maryalana! 

i like the 4x4? and unistrut mount! 

keep up the good work! 

if you get time, it'd be cool to hear about a "spec" sheet of your system...  IE: distance between battery bank and array, cc type, battery bank ect.

again, NICE!!

adam

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
4x4 rear, 4x6 on edge front. Currently 2 140 wall Solar Cynergy Panels and 2 120 watt. Have 2 more of each ordered to balance the system better. Morningstar MPPT-45 charge controller at the end of a 110 foot #6 cable run. Running the panels in series for 78 volts according to my volt meter (panel end), 4x 232A/H batteries in series/parallel for 12 volts and a Samlex SSW-1000-12 inverter.

The unistrut is available at Menards (midwest Home depot) and was the easiest mounting method I could find that was stiff enough. Price was very reasonable too.

When I add the 4 panels I am reconfiguring to 24 volt and am looking for inverter ideas that have a quieter fan.

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 10:32:20 PM »
SLICK SYSTEM!!!

for now, anyways, just yank the stock smalex fan, and replace with a quality ball bearing fan off feebay.  should eliminate the headache squeeling! 

adam

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 12:41:41 AM »
Not bad bearings, just that noisy moving air.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 07:57:45 AM »
Hmm, nice!

Just bought myself a mere 40W of Topray's finest amorphous to mount vertically on a south-facing wall in the garden with strict instructions that it is the last panel to go in the garden.  I only have 5, what's the problem?  (And a roof-ful!))  B^>

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
Battery box that is vented to outside

Vent

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »
Ordered 4 more 140 watt panels today to complete this system. Computer and TV power, furnace power for power outages. Now I need 4 more batteries....  ;D never ends does it?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 03:31:47 AM »
Nope, but you're moving towards Nerdvana!

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
I repaired electronics for 27 years. Started building computers in 1981... what was that about nerd? Of and I have had my amateur radio license since 1974 when I was 14  ;D

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 01:13:21 AM »
Last panels mounted, I need to re-space the bottom panels to make it look pretty but it is up and running. We mounted the bottom panels when it was 100 degrees and nobody was thinking straight.

Adding 4 more batteries wednesday to bring me up to 464 amp hours at 24 volts. Went with a DC/DC converter for 12 volt power to the ham gear, so far it has been nice and RF quiet. And the Samlex PST series inverter seems to be very RF quiet also. Seems well built for the typical mobile style inverter, thermostat controlled fan that isn't very loud either.

Watt

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 01:26:34 AM »
Last panels mounted, I need to re-space the bottom panels to make it look pretty but it is up and running. We mounted the bottom panels when it was 100 degrees and nobody was thinking straight.

Adding 4 more batteries wednesday to bring me up to 464 amp hours at 24 volts. Went with a DC/DC converter for 12 volt power to the ham gear, so far it has been nice and RF quiet. And the Samlex PST series inverter seems to be very RF quiet also. Seems well built for the typical mobile style inverter, thermostat controlled fan that isn't very loud either.

Looks great.  That spacing may help keep some air movement around those panels. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »
That was my thought and maybe lower the wind load just a bit because of turbulence coming through the slots between panels.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
Everything just survived 70mph winds and 3 1/2 inches of rain in an hour so I guess my design and construction are up to it  8)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2012, 02:26:58 AM »
That's what I call testing!

Now, can you adjust the weather for the rest of my family still on holiday please?  B^>

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2012, 03:29:02 AM »
First rain here in a month, it was badly needed.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »
last 4 panels, mounting brackets, remote meter to link charge controllers all ordered to bring me up to 16 panels total next spring. Will really help on the short winter days. Also sets me up for running the fridge and freezer soon as I get another inverter. Slowly getting there with moving bits of the house off grid!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2013, 03:21:29 AM »
Good news!

I haven't yet had to put up my extra winter set of panels for my off-grid stuff, so I may get away without using them (only 60Wp).  I had tweaked the existing stuff to reduce losses and put up a separate large permanent panel recently.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
How are the current panels holding up with those wicked winds?
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

petect

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
MaryAlana
Thanks for your posts of a very nice build! Would you be kind enough to say where you bought the components, and how well they have worked, now that you have lived with them for a while?

I want to put together, and probably stay with, a system in the 1500 watt range. Do you have any advice for building a system of that size? It seems it would be less complicated than adding components over time.  My motives are similar to yours - less reliance on the grid, and powering the very basics during power failures which can last for several days.
The ground is freezing, so I will probably have to wait till spring to start building,  :'(  but I should be able to buy some of what I will need over the winter.   :D
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »
Panels have survived 90mph once and multiple 70mph winds.

For good panel prices www.solarblvd.com is one I used the Solar Cynergy 12 volt panels because they are light enough for me to lift with 2 bad shoulders and a bad back. Morningstar MPPT 45 charge controllers, Samlex PST-1000-24 inverters sourced off ebay and amazon. Frame was my design with a little over 1/3 cu yard of concrete under each leg poured against undisturbed ground. System works well, only change I am going to make is move the batteries indoors into a box vented outdoors to keep them warmer. Battery temp was -1c last night. I started with 4 panels and kept adding as I could afford 2 panels at a time. Bought charge controllers after saving a couple months for each.

Panels are running 4 in series and then the 2 banks in parallel, around 85 volts right now as I type. With a 100 foot run to the charge controller the higher voltage makes wire losses lower.

petect

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
MaryAlana
Thank you VERY MUCH for your reply. All of the information you have provided is VERY helpfull.
I'll be starting to buy components this winter for a spring build. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I buy. Till then I'll be watching for updates on your system.  I'm sure it will continue to perform well.
Thanks again.
Pete

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
Okay a decision, I need to add more batteries, currently have 8 6 volt 232 amp hour golf cart batteries, 4 in series then 2 banks parallel. Do I add more batteries in parallel or add a separate battery bank to run the fridge and freezer? I can get 8 of the same battery for $880 or 4 L16re-b 370A/h  for $1,160. I have the ability to parallel the charge controllers to feed the entire bank as one or split it as 2 banks. I like redundancy in my system so 2 charge controllers, 2 inverters etc.