Author Topic: Worth dipping into savings?  (Read 1547 times)

Striider

Worth dipping into savings?
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
My friend has a friend (yeah I know- corny, but true!) who flips houses and is selling off this system he got on a house.  My buddy says he could probably get him to $4000 or less on it, although it's listed now for $5500.  I already have a solar system at my remote cabin with 2 195 watt panels into a MX60 and a 12 volt 550ah Deka forklift battery.  I could use the extra batteries for sure, but these panels won't match up well with what I have now so I couldn't run them in series...hmm.  I think I am talking myself out of it already, but figured I would run it by you guys in case there are options I have not thought of.  I guess I COULD run these panels separate, and into a shared battery bank....heck I could even use this system at home here in town.

Used "Off the Grid" working solar system. This unit is currently being used to supply power to a 2100 square foot cabin located approximately 20 miles south of Jefferson, CO. The system is complete and is approximately 7 years old. We are switching the cabin over to power and are selling the entire solar package. Here are the basics of the system:

Xantrex SW 2548 Plus (Dec. 2004 MFG. Date)
Xantrex AC with breakers & DC conduct box's for SW, Factory.
Xantrex 175 DC disconnect, solar breaker GFCI type? and box
Outback MX-60 solar charge controller
Xantrex T240 Auto Transformer 3.9 KVA
16 each Trojan battery, golf cart size.
8 each Solar panels, Sharp ND-L3EJE 123 Watts
Deck Mount Brackets for Solar Panels

Thoughts?

Eric

mettleramiel

Re: Worth dipping into savings?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't run the panels in paralell with your current system. They are 12v panels and it seems that you also have a 12v system

Striider

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »
My existing panels are 27 volts or somewhere around there.  Also, I think the batteries are 7 years old too, so I am rapidly talking myself out of this.

SteveCH

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »
I don't have time to run numbers on the hardware right now, but for starters, consider the batteries scrap. They may well be ok and last a while longer, depending, of course, on how they've been treated. But for buying used, I would not buy batteries that old unless they were sold to me for scrap value.