Author Topic: Light Weight Wind Turbine Project - as I build it.  (Read 240731 times)

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Light Weight Wind Turbine Project - as I build it.
« Reply #858 on: June 30, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »
Quote from: HW
That is certainly the perception I get that the owners of this forum are envisioning....

Honestly, if the old "management" was in control, this thread would have been "locked" a long time ago...

Both DanB and DanF want the best for the forum, sometimes I get nervious thinking they may shut it down...

If anything, we want to keep minds open.

Its been a rough week for me with my dayjob this week... I saw about 3 heads roll today, one of them was mine...

Ive done some moon lighting as a "Process Engineer" yet what I have a certification for, I could not fix the system... So, I will be working on a Throttle "drive by wire system" tomorrow and I have no choice but to get it right, I could go on about all the other crap going on, but I think that would be pointless.

JW

windvision

« Reply #859 on: June 30, 2012, 12:52:56 AM »
What a worthless soap opera. I goin home...........Midwould1 has the most exciting thing going with the variable pitch setup, and everyone is wasting their time on this. Sad....

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #860 on: June 30, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »
Its not sad, its happened manytimes before, on different threads. Ive been a member here since 2001...

By the way the system I could not fix was a PASSLOCK system for a GM car. The drive by wire thing is on a Lexus

JW

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #861 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »
Now publicly if these guys are honorable men and did not have intent to "do me in"

When you're so paranoid about people "doing you in", you got too many skeletons in the closet, man.

And one final thing - nobody said we're not biased.  We're highly biased because there's a lot of us that have the experience to know what works and what doesn't.  Selling a re-purposed Delco to a member of this forum with the sales pitch and power curve numbers that Steadfast posted when he bought it was not a smart move.  And now trying to defend the whole thing is even less smart.

You dug your own hole.  Now you can wallow in it.

Steadfast has a small turbine to build and he just got a new source for a gen for it.  So let's get on with it.  I want to see those bent-tip blades run, and see what they got in 'em.
--
Chris

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #862 on: June 30, 2012, 01:31:05 AM »
SF-
i say run with the servo motor!  that's what my mill is based on, and i love it!  generalization:  they are super robust, have thick stainless shafts, usually with keyways, sealed bearings, thick ALU housing for good heat dissipation, four holes on front for easy mounting, and waterproofed easily with some good paint.  it's like the beginners creme de la! 

i'll be honest, i've never cast a stator, or glued magnets, but i've got a fairly powerful mill for my small system that rarely needs maint, and just runs!

adam

simplefun

« Reply #863 on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »
The retraction of the PMA by Tony is most disappointing to me (and I certainly feel SF's anger).  I've been following this thread from the start, and along with SF and many others had been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, hanging on to the promise of delivery from hurricanewindpower.com and subsequent evaluation of the product through Steadfast's efforts.  I'm a researcher and like to see numbers, evaluations, comparisons, etc.  While we didn't quite get to the numbers here, I certainly got enough info on the hurricane wind power product to draw my conclusion.  I think many opportunities were missed here, the biggest was by Tony of  hurricanewindpower.com .  He had a huge advocate in SteadFast.  Reading the recent posts from 'hurricanewind' I can see where the name comes from – talk about a lot of hot air . . . .  .   .   .   .

John
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:42:14 AM by simplefun »

Tritium

« Reply #864 on: June 30, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »
Breech of Contract, Verbal or otherwise Plain and simple even though the money was refunded, the buyer DID NOT REQUEST the CONTRACT to provide the merchandise be canceled so a breech did in fact occur. BAD business to let others interfere in a private contract by taking offense at the comments of non-players.

Imagine a Pro Ball player giving the money paid to him by the team owner back and returning his contract to the owner because the crowd "booed" him during a game.

That is what you have done Tony!  :o

Thurmond

Watt

« Reply #865 on: June 30, 2012, 01:53:28 AM »
What a worthless soap opera. I goin home...........Midwould1 has the most exciting thing going with the variable pitch setup, and everyone is wasting their time on this. Sad....

I admire and respect opinions.  This one is no exception. 

Wasting time... NO WAY.  This forum, anotherpower forum and many other forums have helped educate my family to extract useful power from wind and solar.  Here is part of our daily production thanks to ChrisO and many, many others for their valuable time.  It's threads like these which makes the rubber meet the road.

These photos are from a log of the Classic 150 at our fishing post connected to a homebrew 17'er.  This keeps the lights going and the food cold.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:58:47 AM by Watt »

spottrouble

« Reply #866 on: June 30, 2012, 05:01:18 AM »
"Upper RH is 1300W 1500RPM 10.7A 1.3HP 8.34N-m"

Thats the one I'd try first, just remember I'm a newbie ;D. If it does not work out return it to Lakeside and see if you can try the "Upper LH 750W 3000RPM 4.4A 2.39N-m."

Kristi

Valalvax

« Reply #867 on: June 30, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »
Well..... this thread sure as hell didn't end the way I wanted it to...

Granted, it ended better than I thought it might....

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #868 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
"Upper RH is 1300W 1500RPM 10.7A 1.3HP 8.34N-m"
Kristi

Not sure if his Lbird prop size is big enough for the 1300...and didn't really offer THAT one, I only have one of those. I still got plans for that one. Just showed it for size comparisons.

Not giving up my chromedelco either. That has to power the special smoke that can only be found in Lucas electrics, it works a LOT harder than your average Delco working those Delco electrics (there's a LOT more smoke in Lucas electrics, let me tell you).

Remember he does have the axial flux, that will be his big power, this is just a trickle charger, light wind....and comparable to the size of a redelco or chromedelco or even that turquoise special pearlized moon rock halo solar-panel-charging-at-night delco.

It gives a good size comparison using the most precision-machined standard motors we can put in that space. Future comparisons can be made. This changes the 'comparison' to a purpose-built wind generator (Chris's axial) and a smaller repurposed generator (the AC PMA servo motor). And from what I have read, this is probably the best repurposed motor for the job, it is meant for high-speed continuous duty, low-speed and locked rotor torque, and has better bearings on just the rear shaft than any delco can put on the front. they are all Yaskawa motors, I sent SF the model numbers, but I wasn't going to list them here. None of them can be certified for any industrial use anyway.

And the front bearings..the large case motors have a front inner bearing and rotor shaft diameter of 32mm (1.25"). Outer diameter approx. 3 inches. A BIG bearing for a small motor. You won't wear that one out unless you run without the shaft seal caps and somehow flood the case and then let it sit for a year. I've found two of these motors with bad bearings - in decades, and removed from feeble old poor abused overworked robots, forced to work in the heat and humidity, near acid tanks that would peel the skin off your face, poor poor things. They were faithful robots, always did their chores. I'll miss them.

The rough math I've done, and have at least a bit of bench testing (turning the motor manually and measuring thru a 3-phase rectifier open DC volts) suggests the large case 1500RPM motors reach 13V at 120RPM, and the small case 3000RPM motors at double (240). The torque to move the shaft is inversely proportional so the small case motors may spin up quicker.

Shafts - the larger case at 19mm (0.75") or 22mm (0.875") shaft, older 850 has taper-lock keyed shaft - will need an adaptor or a taper-lock hub mount.

And the wife won't explode because SF got some money back and replaced the refit commercial charger with a precision torque motor ($$) for free.  Tony will go away, everyone will calm down. Things will get happier at the SF house and we can see this post continue. SF only has to buy some red paint, and never mention the redelco again, just point and say yep I got a motor, forget that redelco, I got my machine killing tools and ventured into the industrial wasteland, tracked and killed a robot, stripped it's carcass, and put it on a pole in my yard, woe be on to any robots that tread here, rip em. strip em, and make 'em spin props all day, yep, yep, and move on.

Then when I get back on track with my land, I will have a reference to follow after SF flies one of these and gets some performance. A good reference for what a small-wind hobbyist can expect.

This thread will still have a purpose to exist.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:00:08 PM by lakesidepark »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #869 on: June 30, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
As I see it Tony held the money for 3 months with no product delivered. He owes interest on those funds.

Steadfast

« Reply #870 on: June 30, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
Tony??? Tony who.....

I am sooo done with him that I can not remember who he is....

I am excitted about Lakesides generous offer... He has literally breathed life back into this doomed project!  And as soon as you guy pick out one of his motors for me, and I take delivery of it, this these will continue to see this project develops. 

WOOOHOO.
By Hook or by Crook - Prayer, Persistence and Tenacity will win the day!

sean_ork

« Reply #871 on: June 30, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
SF I thought you already had an Amtek ?

spottrouble

« Reply #872 on: June 30, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

Not sure if his Lbird prop size is big enough for the 1300...and didn't really offer THAT one, I only have one of those. I still got plans for that one. Just showed it for size comparisons.
[/quote]

Oops, sorry, I forgot that was the one you wanted to keep :D Well maybe one of the more qualified people can recommend the one that would work best with the prop SF has.

Kristi

Steadfast

« Reply #873 on: June 30, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »

I still have it, and I could really use it too, 
But I agreed to sell it to a forum member, before tony screwed me out of my PMA...

But, unlike Tony, I am a man of my word and bound by my agreements,
and I will mail it off on monday when I get paid for it.

sean_ork

« Reply #874 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »

I still have it, and I could really use it too, 
But I agreed to sell it to a forum member, before tony screwed me out of my PMA...

But, unlike Tony, I am a man of my word and bound by my agreements,
and I will mail it off on monday when I get paid for it.

well - at this stage of the game that would have been an ideal match to those bent ali blades you already have, the efficiency and longevity will be somewhat limited (when compared to an AF type) - but those blades will make it spin and given enough of a breeze you will see some charge going into your batteries

and perhaps it will allow you to hone the control system by running a few amps though it before you set the bigger version flying

tanner0441

« Reply #875 on: June 30, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Hi

SF  You have  turbine Chris sent you an all the online help you could wish for. Your now talking about servo motors. We have not even seen a post covering the raising of your new tower, your going to finish up with too many balls in the air at the same time.

Set a project management plan up. raise the new tower, then with weight on the top, then with the finished turbine Chris sent you. Once you have that flying and your reading data.............

There are lots of people following this thread some post some just reading. A lot of them learning along with you, get the thread back on track.  Set a benchmark and everything else you do has to compete, and fail, equal, or beat the benchmark figures.

Brian.

Steadfast

« Reply #876 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
your right Brian...

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #877 on: July 01, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »
Hate to say I told you so but............Now what the hell is the problem here? Why Isn't Chris's alternator flying? Oh, BTW, Tony, Let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Scammer.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #878 on: July 01, 2012, 10:07:45 AM »
Well, I was gathering from both threads that the original plan exists now as only an education to others. But for SF it was the plan.

Then the gifts from the forum from those that knew the original plan was going to die an ugly death, to give SF a workable system. And something told those guys that SF was worth the gift of their hand-crafted work.

SF, being one that does not give up, and willing to trust the word of others, and realizing he was just learning and didn't want to destroy the axial and props with a construction mistake, changed his original plan to include his plans to get the Lbird up, then to test all of the rest of his system, then it gets a home somewhere else and he gets some hands-on before hoisting the Hbird. But time continued to pass and no Lbird. And as anticipated, the original plan did finally die an ugly death.

Meanwhile I'm reading both threads trying to learn, and see the shock when the Lbird dies and the education turns into a word war. Since I have some plans similiar and was gettting good information, I made a decision to throw in another motor to keep the Lbird alive and let SF do the testing that I hope to do soon. My gift is NOT of the caliber of Chris and Dan, I didn't make anything, I just have a piece of scrap. But I bet it's a piece of scrap that will outdo any red-painted alternator. No illusions about it being some mega-charger, can't beat the physics of diameter.

I thought the changed plan was a good idea, just to make sure he didn't damage the axial when he got it in the air. I can only speculate that if a free servo motor (or an alternator) falls off the tower, he would be glad it wasn't the big one, fix his mistake, and test again, get it right, then his system is ready to see a real wind generator.

Now he can get back to that plan. And to get this one shipped, is to decide which one to grab from the pile and put in a box. I'm assuming the prop for the Lbird has a shaft hub sized for a domestic vehicle alternator (I would have NO idea what kind, done forgot all of that). 17mm?

In the end he'll have a workhorse to keep the tools and lights running in the shed, and a trickle charger that may throw some juice when he fears keeping the Hbird in the air. A 'free' trickle charger that keeps the smoke in a bit better than the discarded option that forever goes unmentioned again.

And with our support, (the pros, and now me, the newbie that is even further behind than SF) both threads will eventually end as a good comparison of a repurposed motor and a custom-built wind generator, as another educational tool that lets others choose their options based on their skills and needs.

More important, SF will have light and tools in the shed, and the wife will not see the projects turn into a pile. Thats pretty important too.

I'll post again later today. I've set up a simple bench test to get some rough notes about voltage on a light load at a minimum RPM needed to produce 13V. Using three-phase rectifier (0.7V drop) with 4.5 ohm load (incadescent lamp) and with / without capacitor bank (3 1800 uf in parallel).

Just the rough test, I see 13V and can produce 50W at 120RPM on any of the 1500RPM motors, without a significant load change on the shaft. Today I have to set up a stopwatch and metronome, I'm spinning by hand so I can feel the load. It's a rough test but at least some idea.  I may have to use the drill for the 3000RPM motors as I suspect their 13V point will be 240RPM.

I'm leaning toward the 450W 1500 or the new-style 850W 1500, as those fit into the weight range. and they are the typical cast-aluminum heat sink housing with the huge front-shaft bearing, and should cut in around 120-150 RPM. SF will need an arbor to adapt the 17mm hub to a 19mm (3/4") shaft (assuming the original intended motor). But the 750W 3000 motor may be a better choice, IF his Falcon props are expected to run in that range for cut-in around 240-300 RPM. The 3000RPM motors have a smaller diameter and plastic housing, not as robust. But they do have 17mm shaft for direct fit to the prop hub. And they are extremely light for their power (in their original purpose).

tanner0441

« Reply #879 on: July 01, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
Hi

120 RPM on a small blade set will not have a lot of power in it. the smaller the blade legth the faster it has to spin 300 to 450 RPM plus for 6ft to 6ft 6.

Brian.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #880 on: July 01, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
what kind of load test can I do to help match from the current choices of servo? If he runs the 450 or 850, and they reach 13V at 120-150RPM, will that stall the turbine? Can stall be prevented to allow it to spin up higher before loading the prop? Or does it start loading after it passes that threshold, and trys to push a higher voltage that is now clamped to the battery (progressive loading)?

Now, if he uses the 750W /3000RPM servo, which will reach 13V around 240RPM, is this a better match, or is it more of a factor of the 'headroom' above that battery-voltage threshold? That speed, he wouldn't begin to push higher than battery voltage until above 300RPM rising at half the rate of the 1500RPM servos.

See the bait I threw out with the offer of a servo? Answers I don't have to to questions I need to ask :)

I'm thinking now to send him the 450W 1500RPM and the 750W 3000RPM. These are the lightest weight choices. The 750 would only need a face plate to match any existing alternator mount, as it is smaller, and the shaft will match the hub. The 450W (and all of the 1500RPM cases) may mount almost exact to the hole spacing, but needs an arbor to step up to 19mm shaft (or bore out existing shaft arbor if so inclined and equipped).

But there are still two styles of 850W 1500RPM, and I have one old-style set up with IRP (three sets of parallel coils / three bridge rectifiers) to match against another old-style with standard wye connect / three phase rectifier, and a third new-style smaller unit standard connect. The older unit may exceed the weight and the case is twice as long as the new-style. But the ability to split the coils may be a bonus, can't do that with any of the others.

I think the 850W units may be beyond the ability of the prop, but that's where I don't have any experience or knowledge.  ???

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #881 on: July 01, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
considering bent tip, non-airfoil "blades" are going on the lbird, i'd send on with the 120-150rpm cut in.  i just don't think those blades are going to move that fast...  even though they may "really rip"   ;D

just my thoughts.

adam

Steadfast

« Reply #882 on: July 01, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
Thats the beauty of all this...I don't know either!
But soon we will find out together... How cool is THAT!?

Mastiffman

« Reply #883 on: July 01, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
Thats the beauty of all this...I don't know either!
But soon we will find out together... How cool is THAT!?

Can't wait my man!? Glad that there is some movement in the thread still.

Also, Is there really a brick wall under a certain cutin speed? Reason that I ask is that I got my 95v 300rpm motor in yesterday and I hooked up a volt meter to it and just with a one index/thumb turn I get as much as 38-40 volts without a load on mine as it only needs a literal 57rpms to cutin.... (57rpms is not a typo either... )

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #884 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
hook it to a 12v battery and spin it.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Mastiffman

« Reply #885 on: July 01, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
hook it to a 12v battery and spin it.

LOL- Gotta get some first.... What do you recommend that I get?

Sorry, not trying to HIJACK the thread. I'm done... got my own to ask questions on.

SF, glad to see some progress on the tower! Looks good!

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #886 on: July 01, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »

Information from the spec sheet and pictures of the motors in order with the sheet (1234, and 567).
Testing stuff ready, only voltages at different RPM and different loads to get an idea what each motor will do.

The second pic also shows inside the back of one of the older 850W with the terminal strip I used to split the phases.

Steadfast

« Reply #887 on: July 02, 2012, 06:12:34 AM »
Most of that is Greek to me.  But I can fly the 13 or the 16 pound ones.

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #888 on: July 02, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »
Narrowing the options for testing:

I've included the smaller-frame motors as I'm curious if they are useable as small turbine generators. The old one has aluminum case, the newer ones are some solid plastic-epoxy something that fully encases the stator.
There is a lot more information including power curves and exact dimensions available from the spec sheets. I just pulled what I thought was relevant to analyzing for use as a wind turbine generator. So I included radial and thrust loading as I think that can be directly related to the max size of prop that can be put on it (me thinks).

I'll make a simple chart with RPM / load / voltage with 120 and 240RPM test speeds, and 19.7 / 10 / 6.5 / 3.0 ohm loads.

I can only give a subjective reference to how much it 'loads up' from open circuit to locked rotor (i.e. if I flip the servo off the bench, the load is too high :o)

Any good ways to measure that reference with a simple bench test? I thought about using a counterbalance boom at horizontal, and dropping weights on one end to see how much it takes to make it fall to vertical at a certain speed and load. Still subjective but at least measurable. I'll at least try this open-circuit to give an idea the weight the prop has to push.

I think the question is here - if between the 450 and 850, attached to the Falcon prop - is do you want a genny to 'spin up' easier and use more of the low winds (trickle charger) and have limits to the power at higher speeds,  or do you want one that doesn't spin up until higher winds, but produces a bit more power at that speed. You may replace the Falcon blades at some point, for better performance...but we DO want to see them spin. Will they spin on the 850? I dunno. The 450? I'm pretty sure.

IMO, although they are 'bent aluminum', there is still an 'airfoil' only there is not a solid symmetrical one - there is still the possibility that some lift might be generated. But the quest for more power may have that hub refitted with some hand-carved props after you quit watching pretty blades spin in the breeze on the Lbird, wait for the wind to make Doc Wattson spin on the Hbird - that spin is not as pretty, but it sounds like quarters falling into the piggy bank - but I only think this from what I read here, it may be true  8).

I'll get a better idea when I feel the load difference between the 450 and 850 in an hour or two.
Meanwhile, I'll price a ground-ship UPS 20 lb. package and let you know that one too with PM.

Steadfast

« Reply #889 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »
Narrowing the options for testing:

II think the question is here - if between the 450 and 850, attached to the Falcon prop - is do you want a genny to 'spin up' easier and use more of the low winds (trickle charger) and have limits to the power at higher speeds,  or do you want one that doesn't spin up until higher winds, but produces a bit more power at that speed. You may replace the Falcon blades at some point, for better performance...but we DO want to see them spin. Will they spin on the 850? I dunno. The 450? I'm pretty sure.

I think having the genny 'spin up' easier and use more of the low winds (trickle charger) and have limits to the power at higher speeds is the better bet. 
Remember, I am in an calss 1 wind area.

anywhere where the wind class area is higher, the choice would would definatly be to have the servo that generates when it spins up at higher winds, but produces a bit more power at that speed...

lakesidepark

• locked in the suburbs
« Reply #890 on: July 02, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Servo spec chart of the units tested, and the results of tests with various loads at various RPM.

The setup for testing.

A picture of the 'coupler twist' that I referenced for the loading point. Not real scientific, but at least it was consistent with the other signs of loading. You can also see my clicker to sync the rotation with the stopwatch (3/sec = 180, 6/sec = 360, and so on...)

The chart says...at least per my rough evaluation...that it is the 450W motor to match the blades. The chart does show it doesn't pay to get greedy. The gains to be had with the 850W are not double if there isn't the force to drive it. The 450 is robust enough to probably run without furling, or minimal furling, if the prop can handle it.

The 750 3000 surprised me. It could be a little workhorse for an AGM cell and a security lamp.

Tthe shaft on this motor is 19mm and NOT keyed. Will need an arbor to match the Falcon hub, and use set screws, and probably dimple the shaft for the set points. I have drilled and tapped the shafts on other motors but don't break that tap!!! There is also not a rectifier, need a three-phase or three single bridges.

If I send it ground tomorrow, the rate is about $12.00 or less (they show rate of $11.59 for 20lbs from my house, but I was going to drive it down to a counter, and weight of motor is only 12 lbs, so it should be less). If it leaves here tomorrow it gets there estimated on Friday.

Unless some greater wisdom shines down (or the $12 for the shipping breaks the bank), it (the 450W 1500RPM) will leave here tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:08:51 PM by lakesidepark »