Author Topic: WindFarm Simulator  (Read 3533 times)

erashish14

WindFarm Simulator
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm about to prepare Wind-Farm for my College Project, but first i need to check different scenario, like effect of manipulating blade length, blade shape, blade size, tower height, n many more,

for that, I'm looking for some kind of simulator, so that before making the final project, i can check all conditions on my computer.

Kindly suggest if any Wind-Farm Simulator is available online or for free download.

Thanks in Advance  :) :) :)
Ashish

erashish14

Re: WindFarm Simulator
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
are there no simulator for Wind-Farm, or nobody interested in giving reply :-[ :-[ :-[

erashish14

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
Kindly reply...

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »
i have never heard of such a program

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
Maybe he means a blade calculator. So he can change figures and get a power result. Whats the one everyone uses these days. You got Warlocks, or Anton's, but I'm sure there are others, just cant think at the moment.

Glenn

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »
i took it to mean a program for figuring out the placement density of the turbines   for optimal overall performance in a windfarm ?
i'm sure Vesta has  just such a program available,
 if you buy some of there big windmills.

Photon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Windfarm Designer by GarradHassan consultants is excellent

WaSP is another

erashish14

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »
Thanks everyone for reply,

but actually first i want to simulate on computer, the different output of 2 or 3 winmills connected in series, i.e.
1. what distance should be there in between them,
2. how much energy losses will be there,
3. what the practical amount of power available after connecting those in series, n many more...

or if any1 tells me the exact formula for finding out the practical voltage output of connecting 2 or 3 windmills in series.

Thanks in advance
Ashish

bvan1941

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
erashish14,
None of us know your background and what your major is, or what you would do with an answer. This makes answering you difficult if not impossible. What your asking for takes significant time on the part of members in this forum to even point you in the right direction for some unrealistic undergraduate college project. 
Further, (speaking for myself), your making me angry trying to think of an answer to a question that would require a combination of engineers, scientists and field people working full-time, taking measurements to support a program feeding a "simulator" you are trying to describe that doesn't exist in the real world!
Your professor should have given you the "tools" to give you a method for a realistic solution. If he hasn't or won't give you students the basic tools for a project, you need to tell him that you are changing your class to a realistic instructor.

Forgive me for being blunt, just trying to bring you back to reality!!!
Bill

If you personally pulled this idea out of your head, do your own homework first--- before insulting by asking other people to do your job.

dinges

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »

but actually first i want to simulate on computer, the different output of 2 or 3 winmills connected in series, i.e.
1. what distance should be there in between them,
2. how much energy losses will be there,
3. what the practical amount of power available after connecting those in series, n many more...

This research paper probably applies to what you're trying to do:

http://pof.aip.org/resource/1/phfle6/v22/i1/p015110_s1?isAuthorized=no

Your remark about 'power available after connecting those in series' makes no sense to me. If you mean by 'connecting in series' electrical connections, then you're barking up the wrong tree. If you mean 'aerodynamically in series', i.e. one turbine behind the other, then I shudder at the thought. You won't find any simple equations.... Or if there are simple equations, solving them will be 'interesting'. Think 'non-linear dynamics interesting'. Probably the only sensible approach uses numerical methods of solving, i.e. simulation. There's very good fluid mechanics/aerodynamics software around, no doubt. How to reliably model such a situation, though, I have no idea of.

or if any1 tells me the exact formula for finding out the practical voltage output of connecting 2 or 3 windmills in series.

The person that can tell you the exact formula for that should also be able to give you the exact formula for a long and happy life.....

(BTW, I hope that with 'practical voltage output' you really mean 'practical power output'..... and with 'in series' you mean 'aerodynamically installed behind eachother'.....; if you didn't mean that, you will have to do a whole lot of study first before you know what are the right questions to ask.... )

Finally, this is a DIY forum. Few people here have windfarms.... so no need for people here to solve this optimization problem..... Some of the bigger windfarm manufacturers have probably worked out models for this, but I strongly doubt whether they'd be publicly sharing that kind of knowledge.....

Not to say that it's not an interesting problem. There's a lot of money involved in larger wind projects, and optimizing the use of scarce resources makes sense. If you can work out the problem, you're probably set for life with a big steady income as a windfarm consultant....
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

bvan1941

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »
erashish14 and members,
I apologisefor being rude (bad day)--
Bill

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 12:54:53 PM »
erashish14 and members,
I apologies for being rude (bad day)--
Bill
No worries, probably said what others are think'n anywho.
Cheers;
Hope your day got better.
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

erashish14

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »
Hi,

Thanks Every1, & sorry for asking such a foolish questions, you r right, probably i should 1st do the study at my end, than ask for answers with proper logic,

anyways thanks, n bye.

Thanks
Ashish