Author Topic: fast voltage rise - good or bad sign?  (Read 1981 times)

vtpeaknik

fast voltage rise - good or bad sign?
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »
I have a 12V 450AH battery system (4 Rolls golf-cart-size).  It's going on 5 years old.  It's mostly a PV-powered backup power system so the batteries are rarely discharged deeply.  Recently I got a different MPPT charge controller that once an hour or so does a "sweep" trying out all possible voltages at full power.  With 360W nominal PV power, on a sunny afternoon, starting with the batteries at a bit above 14V, that sweep, which takes close to 20 seconds and forces about a 20A charge current, brings the voltage up over 15V.  That makes the over-voltage alarm sound in my inverter.

Is that a sign of weak batteries - or a sign of full healthy batteries?

As a test, I've turned on the charger function of my big inverter.  Using grid power, I have that set to a current limit of 45A.  Starting in the evening (no solar input) with the batteries at about 13V, over a couple of minutes the current gradually decreased to about 20A, while the voltage increased to 14.2V (the charger's bulk mode voltage limit) and stayed there.  So it seems that when not bubbling with hours of solar input, the batteries are not quite as quick to rise to an unreasonable voltage.

Other tests: with an evening load of about 5A it takes several hours for the voltage to decay to around 12.4.  With bigger loads (up to 20A) it dips somewhat lower but bounces back when the load is removed.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: fast voltage rise - good or bad sign?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:57:31 AM »
If you are on float with a fair bit of available input power on a sunny site them batteries will be fully charged and with the voltage limit of the controller removed they will soon start gassing and may well go over 15v.  I don't see this as an issue except for confusing your inverter. The requirements for a stand by backup scheme area bit different from a system where you use a lot of power.

The only real test for available capacity is to do a discharge test but as the bank seems more than capable of supplying your need I suspect your batteries are more than adequate for your now. It seems that changing the controller has introduced this problem. It seems as though your controller is effectively doing an equalising charge during these sweeps. Batteries worked hard would be slower in gassing as they would be gaining some benefit from this equalising. Yours are probably going straight to gassing.

Flux