Homebrewed Electricity > Wind

Lots Of Nothing

<< < (3/15) > >>

fabricator:

--- Quote from: Isaiah on April 04, 2012, 09:20:54 PM ---we use ac servo motors here and convert (rectify) it to 3 phase dc.
 do the math on the volts amps and rpms and a servo is hard to beat. there is a lot of problems with the gm alternators .some use the original rectifier  which is not efficient enough and has corrosion problems. you have a steel bolt running through a aluminium   heat sink connected to a copper wire, so then you get the phiszo electric corrosion
 some sell a slip ring that uses the gm  brushes and the wire in them is not heavy enough.

--- End quote ---

Are you sure you don't use three phase AC servo motors and rectify to DC?

Yianie123.:
I live In Valparaiso, IN. 10 miles south of Lake Michigan.  The wind is normally 5-10 mph. About 50% in the winter the wind is 20-35 mph.  It just seems that the wind should be used for something other than taking shingle off.  I thought that I would use wind to charge batteries, the use the grid tie inverter to drain the batteries.  Lucky to get 35 watts from 1 deep cycle marine battery.  So, again I ask, what to do?

ChrisOlson:
What sort of setup do you have there?  It's a bit confusing because I read this thread a few days ago and I thought we told you not to buy those.
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146565.msg1004044.html#msg1004044

But you did anyway.  And now a storm came thru before they even had one week on the tower and they're all wrecked?  All four of 'em?  Homeowner's insurance will pay for a car alternator mounted on a pole if the wind blows it over?
--
Chris

SparWeb:

--- Quote from: Yianie123. on March 31, 2012, 01:56:29 PM ---... So, now I have a 1000w, 10.5v-28v grid tie inverter,
 45A-12/24/48v charge/diversion controller (TRI-STAR 45), 
2-1200w-12/24v heating elements. 
Any ideas on what to do now?
 Is there a PMA that will really put out 1000w, in a 30-45mph wind, at 10.5v-28v? 
Still want to do something. 
Thank you!!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---So, again I ask, what to do?
--- End quote ---

We don't know what you should do.  We can only give you suggestions.

Have you considered a Hugh Piggott project?  The 8-foot diameter WT could suit your needs.

Mine will do what you ask, too, but it's a pretty unique WT, so I think what you're really asking is "What can I buy?"

Try Home Power magazine.  Look for reviews of small wind turbines.  You're looking for the smallest of the small that they review.

fabricator:
And I hate to break it to you but the inverter you have, it's not likely any utility in the country would allow you to tie it to their grid, my advice, buy a system from Chris. And completely forget about grid tie, it's a scam also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version