Author Topic: Yard Sprinklers on 12 VDC  (Read 3844 times)

adobejoe

Yard Sprinklers on 12 VDC
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I have a gravity fed irrigation system in 1 inch black poly but want to boost the pressure for some landscape sprinklers. There is generally 5-15 ft positive head from the tank to the pumps. I have tried small diaphragm pumps with pressure switch turn off at 60 psi. I have had mixed success with these small shurflo pumps in the 8 amp 12 VDC range. I have tried putting two in parallel by splitting the line. Still I seem to lack the flow and pressure. The battery is not the problem. I have a large deep cycle lead acid on a 40 W panel. Does anyone know a reliable pump, say 6-10 gpm, at a reliable 40-60 psi? I am tired of spending $100-130 on these little pumps that do not have the uuummph!

AdobeJoe

damian

Re: Yard Sprinklers on 12 VDC
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
When in doubt do some math and build your own or find something.  Mid range figures from your specs, (8 gpm at 50 psi.) calcs out at just about .25 net HP.  If I were in your shoes I would be looking at a rotary vane pump and a dc motor.  I think dankoff used to sell something like this (used in a lot of Earthships).  Prefiltration is a must and inlet restriction will cause cavitation lots of noise followed by pump failure.

Damian

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
i have no idea of your landscape, but is it possible to pump water WAY uphill with a cheap small pump into a additional tank, and then use gravity to do the work?

just a thought!

adam

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »
Since you already have the pumps, what about a tank with an air space.   Then pump it up to pressure and open an electric valve.   Then just let it cycle like that.  No reason you have water all at once.  The control system would be fairly simple.

adobejoe

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the input. I am on level ground, I have a water tank 8 ft dia by 15 feet tall, so I can gain 15 ft head. When it is full that is enough elevation head (pressure about 6 psi) to make a sprinkler produce a 5 ft circle, maybe. I need that pump that can boost to 40-60 psi, and produce at least 8 gpm, and run on DC.

AdobeJoe

Basil

• 3 rd shift made me this way.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:55 AM »
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/deq-wb-dwehs-gwwfwim-section4_183029_7.pdf
Not a gravity fed irrigation system. But may help with on flow losses and so on.