Author Topic: General guidance  (Read 14406 times)

Uncorruptable

Re: General guidance
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2012, 06:35:41 AM »
I like the concept, not sure if it would bend sufficiently, i think a sample bar of same material will need to be tested.

Potentially 7 foot wide diameter, one serious turbine it would make.

I look into this.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
That has been done several times, one outfit went commercial but they had a huge problem keeping the thing light enough to be practical but rigid enough to hold the required air gap, I can't even find the website anymore.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

jlt

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
If those are ceramic mags you can remove them by heating the metal plate.
    Don't try it with neo mags as they will be ruined.
   jlt

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
eoin, stop teasing us with your cool stuff.
take one of these

down to the hardware store and buy a little magnet.
 let us know the pattern of how the mags are laid out.!

shawn wilson

CraigM

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
slice away slots in the bar from the back side to allow it to become slightly flexible make a large diameter rotor

Great idea but not sure this will work with the magnets positioned at a slight angle. They magnets would need to be positioned at a right angle to the bar with a shallow cut made between each magnet in order to form a ring.

If those are ceramic mags you can remove them by heating the metal plate.
    Don't try it with neo mags as they will be ruined.
   jlt
Be careful if you go this route. Google "Ferrite magnet temperature range or temperature effects" to learn more.
(From Duramag.com) As with most ceramic, the ferrite magnets should not be exposed to heating or cooling rates greater than 200°F per hour. If you heat too much or too fast you can cause permanent demagnetization.

As electrondady stated, first thing you need to find out is how the poles are laid out.

Sure, looks like something fun to play with!

CM
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.

CraigM

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »
Eóin,

I sketched this out just for fun from the dimensions you gave of the magnet size along with the steel backing plate thickness. I guessed at the magnet angle along with the spacing between magnets but I think I'm pretty close.

If a linear design was considered I wanted to see the difference between lining up the coils to the angle of the magnets compared to keeping the coils at a right angle to the plate.

Using the common 3-4 ratio of coils to magnets you can see how the pattern would repeat.
6391-0

IF the magnet poles are positioned N-S-N-S and you were able to somehow mount the plates inside a rectangle steel tube by taping the holes in the plates you might end of with something like this. As Fabricator stated this may be a very difficult thing to pull off though. In the US 5" OD x 2" OD x 1/4" wall steel tube is available which are the dimensions I used in the sketch below. The green rectangles are made from plastic such as UHMW, mechanically attached from the outside and used to center the stator which could be made with a conventional cast method. Grease the plastic rails and you're good to go.

Just my two cents. Not sure how much back and forth travel would be needed, how fast it would need to move, how much it would vibrate and rattle or even hold together. Or the big unknown how to use wind power to shake this thing.

Would be interesting to give it a go, maybe start with a smaller scale first.

As a side thought, Is there a slotted steel rail this mates to that's similar to a stator core of a motor.

Have fun with it,
CM
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »
Got to be NS . Probably going to be a job . I think the mags a big enough to be well worth the effort . Cut into the resin on both sides on the Mag then soak in MEK . That should loosen the bond enough . Twist the bar

Uncorruptable

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:01 AM »
I am feeling the enthusiasm with the potential here, i also was delighted when i actually counted these when i got them, i will endevour to see if they can be enticed away from the plate after i have tested the polarity of the mags in situ.

Uncorruptable

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2012, 08:58:12 AM »
eoin, stop teasing us with your cool stuff.
take one of these

down to the hardware store and buy a little magnet.
 let us know the pattern of how the mags are laid out.!

shawn wilson

Forgot to mention,

Thanks for this post, it brought a smile to my face this morning :)

If only we were using old irish pennys these days & not tied to the €uro there would be a little less suffering in Éire today >:(

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
trying to build a long linear alternator would pretty much be a nightmare.

Agreed.

I am with tecker on that thing.  Bend it back and get the magnets off.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller