Author Topic: Are small loads bad for pure sine inverters?  (Read 2401 times)

Dimm

Are small loads bad for pure sine inverters?
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:50:23 PM »
Hi guys,

I read some time ago that running a load too small can fry a true sine inverter. I'm  not sure if this is true and I cant find the source where I originally read that. Google searching and searching this forum revealed no mention of this.

I'm going to be making a small solar system to run a couple lights and a laptop and phone  charger. Loads at max will be around 100W but my 2 lightbulbs together (an LED and a CFL) draw only 12.5W (5+7.5). Just 5W  if I only have my CFL reading light on. Is this going to be a problem for a 150W pure sine wave inverter? I would go with a smaller one but that seems to be the smallest I can get...

Can someone please clear this up for me?

Thank you.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Are small loads bad for pure sine inverters?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:38:10 AM »
I don't see a problem unless the inverter has fine print saying minimum load xx

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:27 AM »
Are you sure you didn't miss read it. a converter too small for the load would fry it.
   I've had a few UPS's left on for weeks on end with no load on them at all I don't think they did anything but consume a little parasitic energy All though I can't say whether or not these were pure sine wave ether
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
Modern inverters should be perfectly happy with no load at all. It may not make best use of battery power to run very small loads but it won't be a problem.

Older technology with ferro-resonant filters may have had some issues but there is not much of that stuff around now.

Flux

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Hi

I use a 600W pure sine inverter and when I have forgotten to go back onto the grid at the end of the evening and gone to bed. My inverter has run happily all night with just a 3W LED lamp over the stairs with no problems at all. It has also run a phone charger for 14-15 hours as the only load while sitting on one of the seats in my motor home.

Hope this helps'

Brian.

Dimm

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
Alright!

That's good enough for me. I'll gladly put that behind me. I'm also sure I didn't misread it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!