Author Topic: Reliable Power Inverter Brands?  (Read 36690 times)

Mastiffman

Re: Reliable Power Inverter Brands?
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »
$250 a pair with core and tax.

Well? Not bad for 208ah?  Their US Battery website says 208"Mins" for the ah rating...

I'm not completely sure yet that I understand how long this will last ONLY discharging to 35-50%....? Also, would it be okay to run them down to only 20% for the first month or two and then kick back up to only 35-50% discharge?

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
I'm not completely sure yet that I understand how long this will last ONLY discharging to 35-50%....? Also, would it be okay to run them down to only 20% for the first month or two and then kick back up to only 35-50% discharge?

i'm not sure if we're on the same page here.  most of us pull less than 50% from our batteries.  way less, if we can help it.  it's best if we only use 20-30% of our batteries total capacity.  it makes them last MUCH longer. 

if you already understood this, sorry for the elementary lesson. 

adam

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 01:26:16 AM »
I have my low voltage alarm set at 12 volts. At that point the inverter gets turned off and the computer stuff goes back on the grid til the next day. Radio gear stays on as long as I am awake but on receive it draws under an amp.

Mastiffman

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

i'm not sure if we're on the same page here.  most of us pull less than 50% from our batteries.  way less, if we can help it.  it's best if we only use 20-30% of our batteries total capacity.  it makes them last MUCH longer. 

if you already understood this, sorry for the elementary lesson. 

adam

Yep. On the same page as far as that goes. how should I calcualte how much, say, a 1500watt Pure Sine Wave inverter will each day? I know that I'll have to talley up all of the equipment that will be using the inverter. Figure out an average hourly wattage being used. And make sure that I'm using an inverter that provide a good 25-35% over what I need. how ill I be able to determine, based off of the numbers that I gather above, how many batteries I will need for the battery bank? Will 4 6v US Battery Deep Cycle batteries @ 208ah be enough or should I just start off with 2 in series and see how this operates over time, slowly adding one aquarium at a time to see how the whole system keeps up?

I have my low voltage alarm set at 12 volts. At that point the inverter gets turned off and the computer stuff goes back on the grid til the next day. Radio gear stays on as long as I am awake but on receive it draws under an amp.

What kind of low-voltage alarm do you use? What can I get away with until I can afford to get a better one?

Also, do you simply shut down the PC, unplug it from the inverter and then back into the wall when you switch back to the grid or is this done through a switch of some sort?

Thanks,.

P.S. How does this look for a Charge Controller? I shouldn't need more than 30amps should I? At least at this point... There is someone locally that is selling their that they never ended up using for $145.. Good choice?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:26:06 PM by Mastiffman »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
I have an old DC meter with alarm function that I picked up as scrap 20 years ago. Not super accurate but it works. Haven't dug inti the software that can read the charge controller to see if it has an alarm function.

For now I just unplug the UPS on the computer and plug it back into the wall. Going to get a transfer switch as soon as funds allow.

No charge controller link so what make/model?

Mastiffman

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
I have an old DC meter with alarm function that I picked up as scrap 20 years ago. Not super accurate but it works. Haven't dug inti the software that can read the charge controller to see if it has an alarm function.

For now I just unplug the UPS on the computer and plug it back into the wall. Going to get a transfer switch as soon as funds allow.

No charge controller link so what make/model?

Yeah, sorry about that. it was this morning star but I just noticed that it's PWM and I'm going to want a MPPT

http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/PWM-Type-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Morningstar-Charge-Controllers-PWM/Morningstar-ProStar-PS-30M-30A-Charge-Controller-with-Display-1224V/p790/

That's where I'm at. I will be upgrading things regularly but want to get some power flowing in to start saving any money I can monthly to put back into the system...

Mastiffman

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
$250 a pair with core and tax.

Okay, so now I'm getting a Quote from a local place for $104 Each including core being that I don't have any old batteries....

If I Start off with 2, see how they do I would be able to get a Panel, MPPT charge controller and all...

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
My battery box that is vented to outside

vent

Mastiffman

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »

vent

Nice idea! What type of box is it? an actual Battery Box or was that an Improvisation?

Mastiffman

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »

Vent
Questions:

-So are those solar powered?
-What size inverter do you have running off of it?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 06:57:18 PM »
That was re-purposing an action packer Rubbermaid tote I had left over from my catering days. 8 holes along the front an inch from the bottom, 2 inch vent out the side. Running a 1kw pure sine inverter that is powering this computer system as I type.

I have one more tote for when I add 4 more batteries.

Mastiffman

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
That was re-purposing an action packer Rubbermaid tote I had left over from my catering days. 8 holes along the front an inch from the bottom, 2 inch vent out the side. Running a 1kw pure sine inverter that is powering this computer system as I type.

I have one more tote for when I add 4 more batteries.

Nice. Ever thought about a Computer fan right at the 2in exhaust vent to push it? Or is that 2" vent and physics enough to get er done?

So...... the 1kw PSW inverter is just enough for the PC? How much larger of an Inverter would be okay to add to that Batt-Bank? Can I see some math?  ;)

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
maryalana-
nice looking battery rig! 

one small note:  i think your bank would stay better balanced if you moved your main positive lead to the back left terminal of the photo.  as it stands now, the first set of batteries will discharge slightly faster and recharge slightly faster than the back set. 

adam

Mastiffman

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
maryalana-
nice looking battery rig! 

one small note:  i think your bank would stay better balanced if you moved your main positive lead to the back left terminal of the photo.  as it stands now, the first set of batteries will discharge slightly faster and recharge slightly faster than the back set. 

adam

I thought that same thing when I first saw this pic. Instead of running the terminals from the first parallel Pair of batteries only that has a "piggy back" with this configuration, the power distribution would be more evenly distributed being at both ends of the bank. Here is the difference.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
Easy enough swap to do tomorrow, good catch. Inverter draw depends on load. My computer system and radio gear average around 200 watts with half that being 2 big monitors (23 and 24 inch LCD). I haven't ran the math yet, still feeling out inverter draw etc but so far it has been around 20 amps off the batteries. I figure an 8-12 hour battery only draw. During the day the panels have enough oomph to charge and run the computer. Saw a 475 watt peak this morning. Hope to add 4 more panels the beginning of August. Will try to get 4 more batteries added in 2 more months if my budget can handle it. Don't want to wait to long or they will be to far apart in age.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
XP: sorry to trample on your post.  The original SPAM plus a whole string of responses has been canned, and original poster's a/c zapped.  Turns out that I'm less kind than Bruce!  DamonHD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:23:58 PM by DamonHD »
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »
GM MODE
While I don't agree with XP's language , I to as a GM must say it read just like it was cut/pasted off the website.

JN; Warning 1
Do not post like this, it will almost automatically get you put into read only mode for the next 30 days.
There are people on here who use top notch equipment and since I've read the manufacture's "STUFF" I can say they're not in the same league as even Vector (Now Black-n-decker).
IF you have some first hand experience with the equipment say you own one can put up a pic of it, do so and give us real-life notes.
Advertisement is NOT what we want nor tolerated.

Bruce S

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mastiffman

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Okay, I picked up a PSW inverter, New for $135. It's 1000w/2000w.

I went and picked up 2 US Battery 1800 XC's today as well. $104 each

They are rated for 208ah. The Store is only about 25mins from me so I will be heading back up there to add to the Bank.

WindTurbineGuy

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
Any input on Aims Brand Inverter? Thanks! : )

Mastiffman

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
Any input on Aims Brand Inverter? Thanks! : )
Sorry, no I have not heard of them. But that doesn't say to much as I've only been in this a few months... Someone might chime in on it though. DO a quick google search for "Aims Inverter Reviews"....

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
The AIMS units are OK but not top quality inverters.  We had two of them for awhile, both on 12 volt and 24 volt - we still have a 12 volt 3 kW inverter/charger unit in our RV.  They are touchy on over-voltage (meaning the inverter will auto-shutdown on over-voltage but will have damaged parts in it).  We also had two 24 volt units that failed for no apparent reason - both of which were replaced under warranty.

When the second 24 volt unit failed and the power went out my wife said she'd had it.  She didn't care if it cost $5,000 to get decent inverters for our home.  Well, I ended up spending more than that on our Xantrex 120/240 volt system with every bell and whistle you can get, and my wife has been happy ever since   :)
--
Chris

Mastiffman

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
The AIMS units are OK but not top quality inverters.  We had two of them for awhile, both on 12 volt and 24 volt - we still have a 12 volt 3 kW inverter/charger unit in our RV.  They are touchy on over-voltage (meaning the inverter will auto-shutdown on over-voltage but will have damaged parts in it).  We also had two 24 volt units that failed for no apparent reason - both of which were replaced under warranty.

When the second 24 volt unit failed and the power went out my wife said she'd had it.  She didn't care if it cost $5,000 to get decent inverters for our home.  Well, I ended up spending more than that on our Xantrex 120/240 volt system with every bell and whistle you can get, and my wife has been happy ever since   :)
--
Chris

THanks for chimming in Chris. Sounds like a good piece of info to keep on hand. Sounds like Your Wife likes to be involved in the decision making. That's Nice!

I get the ole "whatever it takes honey to do it right" from Mrs. Crocker...  So I try to be as price conscious as possible with maintaining highest quality for the budget.

I almost took home a "Trace Engineering" 4kiw Inverter the other day but it had been installed in a Trailer and was quite whethered. Had bugs and all kinds of junk inside that i could see from the top cooling vents. It was about a 8yr old unit and I didn't know how long it had been sitting in what type of whether...

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »
We spent basically 7 years with a 120 volt system and we got along OK with it, but it wasn't all that convenient.  A 120 volt system is pretty basic and my wife won't have LP gas appliances in the house.  We used to have to run a generator to fill our water tank, my wife cooked a lot using 120 volt crock pots and slow cookers, and it got old after awhile.

So upgrading to the 120/240 volt split phase system was one of the better moves we made.  Now our well pump runs on-demand so we don't have to fill a water tank anymore and have water in the house that smells and tastes like it came out of a tank.  My wife bought a new 240 volt induction range, we have a 240 volt electric clothes dryer, and we heat all our water with 240 volt power.  It's made life a lot more comfortable.

The AIMS inverters, I think, are OK for RV's or a big boat, or maybe a starter hobby RE system.  But for 24/7 off-grid duty they are not up to the task.  I think it is generally recognized that there are three brands suitable for off-grid living - Xantrex, Outback and Magnum Energy.  All three brands, ironically, were designed by the same group of engineers.
--
Chris

Mastiffman

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
We spent basically 7 years with a 120 volt system and we got along OK with it, but it wasn't all that convenient.  A 120 volt system is pretty basic and my wife won't have LP gas appliances in the house.  We used to have to run a generator to fill our water tank, my wife cooked a lot using 120 volt crock pots and slow cookers, and it got old after awhile.

So upgrading to the 120/240 volt split phase system was one of the better moves we made.  Now our well pump runs on-demand so we don't have to fill a water tank anymore and have water in the house that smells and tastes like it came out of a tank.  My wife bought a new 240 volt induction range, we have a 240 volt electric clothes dryer, and we heat all our water with 240 volt power.  It's made life a lot more comfortable.

The AIMS inverters, I think, are OK for RV's or a big boat, or maybe a starter hobby RE system.  But for 24/7 off-grid duty they are not up to the task.  I think it is generally recognized that there are three brands suitable for off-grid living - Xantrex, Outback and Magnum Energy.  All three brands, ironically, were designed by the same group of engineers.
--
Chris

Nice. I"m actually looking to replace our Range and Dryer with Gas as they ae both 240v. They Crank up the month kwh Big Time! I've been trying to use the LP grill as often as possible and making larger portions either way, whether I use the Range or the Grill...

It does make sense that thse three are the Top Dogs If they were indeed designed by the same Engineers.

So, a question regarding the Recent Technology. Were the 3 TD's designed more recently, thus possibly providing other engineers the opportunity to create similar quality products? It's pretty typical that in the later years of any products design process that there ends up only being a few that monopolize the market... Have there been any advancements, in your experience and opinion that have been implemented industry wide, that would enable more companies with similar product quality to the 3 above?

Andrew

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
Were the 3 TD's designed more recently, thus possibly providing other engineers the opportunity to create similar quality products? It's pretty typical that in the later years of any products design process that there ends up only being a few that monopolize the market... Have there been any advancements, in your experience and opinion that have been implemented industry wide, that would enable more companies with similar product quality to the 3 above?

Well, maybe one of these guys will see this and chime in as some of those engineers are on this forum.  They now own MidNite Solar.

It's a long story, but in a nutshell it basically it started out with Trace Engineering building an inverter that is as reliable as the sun coming up every day.  Trace got bought by, or merged with, Xantrex.  The engineers that built the unbreakable inverter left Xantrex and started up Outback Power Systems and built another one.  Then one of the engineer's sons (I think it may have been Robin Gudgel's son) started up Magnum Energy and we got yet another inverter line from the same "family" of people who know how to build inverters.  That group of engineers has now moved on and formed MidNite Solar and I have heard that we just have to wait for the "ultimate inverter" from MidNite.  The MidNite guys are pretty busy with the Classic controllers right now.

As far as advancements industry wide and products competing with the Big Three?  No.  The Big Three are expensive, and the market for them is small.  This group of engineers has remained dedicated to the market that needs reliable off-grid power and nobody else competes in it.  The market for small mobile units is huge and that's what most manufacturers deal with because it's where the money is.

The attention to detail to build a successful off-grid inverter can only come from people who know what is actually needed for an off-grid power system to work.  And that includes that when something goes wrong with it on Christmas Eve the dealer network that services it has the knowledge and parts on hand to get it back up and running before Christmas morning.  None of the Chinese brands have that - you send it in and wait for two weeks to get a replacement unit.  Sending it in and waiting for two weeks to get a replacement unit simply does not work for off-grid people.

It's kind of like in the construction business with Caterpillar and Everybody Else.  At one time Komatsu had a company slogan of "Maru-C", translated to English "encircle Caterpillar" (from the game of Go, where encircling an opponent results in capture of their territory).  Well, it never happened.  Why?  Because the people who run heavy equipment know that you can have two end loaders in a coal mine in the middle of TimBukToo - a Cat and a Komatsu - and they both blow a main hydraulic pump simultaneously.  The Cat network will have that end loader up and running overnight while the Komatsu will sit there for two weeks waiting for some obscure design hydraulic pump to arrive from Japan.
--
Chris

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
i am still going to beat the drum for exeltech

as far as i am concerned they are the defacto leader in bulletproof/redundant inverters.

what i would like to know is whether there is a connection to the boys of the big 3 companies.

i really like the mx series of inverters by exeltech, being modular, built in 1kw units in a common rack, if one fails it can be removed and hot swapped out without effecting operation of the remaining inverters.

their warrantee is second to none, repair policy is a flat fee, a technical department is the easiest to deal with of any i have ever had the pleasure of talking to.

with mtbf of over 20 years, and the new generation expected to exceed twice that, its hard to compete with them.  and yes they are made in the USA.

very expensive if bought new, however they do come up surplus from decommissioned telecoms and other mission critical installations.
they are often an incredible buy if you can find them on the surplus market.

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
i am still going to beat the drum for exeltech

A good off-grid inverter needs things like auto gen start, one or two AC inputs for primary and backup generators, internal battery charger, good surge power for starting well pumps and such while carrying other normal loads, and user-friendly menus so you don't need a degree in Inverter Programming to program the thing.
--
Chris

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2012, 09:47:25 PM »
personally i would respectfully disagree most adamantly!

i have never like combination units, while they are an elegant all in one solution, they end up being a compromise one way or another.

what happens if you have a charger section failure?  or the inverter section fails, you are out both units in most cases until the unit can be serviced.

i would much rather do the charging myself, separately, where i can take full control and improve efficiency.

my exeltech system has provisions for dual ac inputs, one for generator and one for grid/utility, it will auto switch between when needed.

because of its modular construction, i can run up to 19 thousand watt inverter modules off of one control card, or two control cards if i want true redundancy, it will autoswitch out a failed control card or a failed inverter module and not even glitch. i can then hot swap them without shutting down the system, either swap in a spare of send in the failed unit for service and continue on just as nothing ever happened.

the military likes them, embassy's like them, government likes them, telecoms like them, and the lions share of all mission critical installations like them too.

they are however very expensive if bought new, a 5kwatt with two control cards, an alarm card, rack/chassis likely will run north of 10 grand, however they can be bought for 10cents on the dollar if you are patient and keep an eye open for them.

they are not as pretty as outback, but they are much stronger case wise.

outback in my opinion is the most beautiful inverter system ever conceived by man, lovely stuff, efficient, well engineered, well supported and appropriately priced, can't fault them or any of the major pure sine wave manufactures.

all i am saying is folks should give the exeltech mx series some serious consideration especially on the surplus market.

so far i have amassed about a 30kwatt system, all of which were bought used/surplus, only two inverter modules were faulty and i could get them serviced for 100 bucks each.

as for surge capacity, the exeltech mx series has a 2.2X surge rating
(2.2 times rated power for 3 seconds) into any common powerfactor loads. this is important as many other inverters even though talking of higher surge ratings can only do so into a unity power factor load and will not do anywhere near as well into a low powerfactor inductive load. 

nobody makes a cleaner sine wave than exeltech, that might be important to some people?  they rate them at less than 2 % thd, however installed they generally will not be over .08% thd across their rated capacity.  thats clean!

just thought the exeltech  mx series  ought to bear consideration

i am not sure, but i think they also make a series that is grid tie as well as an inverter charger series, along with some consumer grade stuff that is very competitive in price.

fwiw
bob g

large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2012, 11:14:19 PM »
i would much rather do the charging myself, separately, where i can take full control and improve efficiency.

I guess there's a lot of different ways to approach the problem.  We lived here for 7 years with separate charging, trying all sorts of different ways to integrate it, and I could never get it to work.

It comes to a point where when you live off-grid you want to start living and doing something else rather than baby sitting your system all the time.  And after almost a decade you get to the point where you want some of the conveniences that people on grid power have.

With our new system, that cost us slightly better than $20,000 with inverters, batteries and generators, it has put us into a whole new world of convenience and comfort that I wished I would've done something long before I did.

As an example, our inverters are rated at 8 kW but they will put out 20 kW for 11 seconds and 14.4 kW for five minutes.  We can have 2 kW normal loads and my wife turns on her induction range, jumping the load up to 7.5 kW.  Then she runs down in the basement and throws a load of clothes in the dryer and turns that on, jumping the load up to 13 kW.  And she can do this without even having to ask if we got the power to run it.

On the inverter end the peak load threshold is exceeded at 8 kW and the inverters wait for 2 minutes to see if this load is temporary or if it's going to be a long term thing.  At 2 minutes if it's still there it fires up the generator and warms it up at no-load for one minute.  During that minute it syncs its sine waves on both legs with the sine waves from the generator.  At three minutes into the heavy load the inverters load the generator gently up to full load, which reduces the load on the battery bank to 7 kW.

An hour later the timer shuts the clothes dryer off, but whatever my wife is cooking in her range is still cooking, so the load drops below the peak load threshold.  The inverter looks at this and if it stays below for 15 minutes it will shut the generator down.

However, 60Hz generators run at peak efficiency at full load, and least efficiency at zero load, measured by kWh/gallon of fuel burned.  The inverter is smart.  It's not going to let that generator run at partial load.  It looks at the bank status and uses part of it's power to charge the batteries if they need it, and the balance to carry the load, which further reduces the load on the batteries and keeps that gen at peak efficiency.  If this condition keeps up for 15 minutes with the total load below 8 kw, and the batteries are above the minimum set for the 2 hour auto-start timer, the inverter disconnects the gen from the load, lets it run no-load for two minutes to cool it down, then shuts it off.

This has made our home so that you can come visit and you can't tell we don't have grid power.  I spent the better part of 7 years trying to build an integrated system like this from components, but I could never match what boB and Robin and the other guys at Trace/Outback/Magnum were able to do with their integrated off-grid units.  In fact, not even close to as seamless as our system works today.

My total chores have been reduced to checking the water in the batteries once a month, changing the oil in the generator once a year, and calling up the LP truck to come top off our 500 gallon LP tank once a year.  And that's it.  Otherwise, when I feel like it, I look at the meters and gauges now and then to see what the system is doing.  But I don't even have to do that because it takes care of itself and I can go fishing instead of babysitting a bunch of equipment.

I'm not saying it's impossible to build an integrated system out of stuff that you collect from here and there.  But after 7 years I got tired of it and with the prompting of my wife spent the money on a "turn key" system that "just works".  And, baby, let me tell ya' that after you experience a "just works" system like that it makes you wonder just what the hell you were trying to do cobbling it together out of "stuff".
--
Chris

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »
Chris
you have made a valid point, and if i felt i was cobbling together bits and  pieces to try and build a system, i would do what you suggest and just go out and buy an engineered solution to the problems at hand.

i guess i am not at this point yet, in that i do a ton of research, spend lots of time designing and engineering a system before i go out and buy the requisite parts to be assembled into a system. 

i am not yet convinced that i am unable to achieve as high or higher overall system efficiency, do so for less money, and accomplish the same level of automation.

its a very rare system that is mass marketed that doesn't have to make certain compromises, it is very hard to build tightly designed equipment that is all things to all people.  very hard to make a system work across a wide spectrum of voltages, a variety of battery technologies let alone size and age,  and still have a very high efficiency overall.

not saying that these guys haven't done it, just not sure it is the right solution for me.

as long as you are happy with your system, thats all that counts

bob g

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »
I wasn't suggesting that you were cobbling stuff together, just that I was.  And most people are going to be in the same boat as me.  I don't have the knowledge of electronic stuff to build anything like that.  And I think that's what has made the Big Three in off-grid power, the Big Three - they have built an integrated, engineered solution that "just works", and is designed from the ground up to power off-grid homes.

And like I said, this is not saying there are not other valid solutions.  I was just pointing out the things that I see that have made the Big Three the gold standard that everything else is measured against in off-grid power.

And even so, selection of all the components to put a system together is still critical.  And I feel that if you aren't sure that you should consult an expert to properly size inverters/battery banks and generators for peak efficiency.  Big inverters might be impressive looking at numbers, as an example, and you think you have the capacity to run anything.  But look at the power efficiency curve on those inverters and you'll see that they're horribly inefficient at very light loads and usually most efficient at around 15-20% load.  So if you install 12 kW of inverter capacity and your normal loads 95% of the time are less than 1 kW you shot yourself in the foot right from the start.

Generators are the same deal.  Buy a 12-15 kW generator and run it at 50% load like you would a grid standby unit, and for an off-grid application you just shot yourself in the other foot.

So there's a lot of factors that can affect efficiency of an off-grid system.  Too many to cover here.  It takes a lot of planning, careful selection of components, and the advice of an expert if you're not sure.
--
Chris

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2012, 05:47:08 AM »
Chris

all good points and likely the best solution for the average guy that is faced with living offgrid, however

not all are able to afford a 20k dollar system, at least from the git go
many are watching every penny to build a workable if not perfect system, therefore my suggestion they ought to be at least aware of another option in inverters.

your point about inverters is not lost on me, just because i have 30kwatt worth of system components does not mean i will be using all in the system.

i  can get by quite nicely with a 4 kwatt system, and a much smaller battery bank than most folks because of the development of a micro smart grid and the tri-generator.  without which i would be faced with having to have a significantly larger inverter and dramatically larger battery bank and be faced with significantly worse overall efficiency.

having done a lot of testing of gensets, especially those used in cogen schemes, i cannot see how most folks would be served well with a single unit. there are times of the year a half size unit is more than sufficient and would operate and much higher efficiency than a larger unit that would be running at half load and miserable efficiency during those times when the added capacity could not be effectively used.

for me about half the year, (fall and spring months) i could get by with and have higher efficiency with a 3-4kwe cogen, and then during the other quarters (winter and summer months) a 7-8 kwe trigen would be most efficient.

i digress and have taken the OP off topic, my apologies.

bob g

ps. we can start another topic if there is interest

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:18 AM »
all good points and likely the best solution for the average guy that is faced with living offgrid, however not all are able to afford a 20k dollar system, at least from the git go

Maybe not from the git-go, but when you've been living off-grid since June, 2004 and one day your wife says she's tired of it and gives you a long list of things she's put up with - believe me - you can afford it.  It's only half of what a new pickup truck costs these days.  When you study her list of things she says she's going to have for the next seven years you suddenly reach this realization that you haven't saved a single dime over the last seven because you've been buying things constantly to try to improve it all the time, and spent more than than that anyway.  Just that it nickel and dimed ya' instead of slapping you in the face.
--
Chris